LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:00 pm

Post subject: Victor Wooten Workshop
PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 4:31 am 

Hi All,

just finished up a three-day workshop with Victor Wooten here on Oahu at the Kamehameha Schools performing Arts Building. Starting on Sunday, it was two hours a day from 2pm to 4pm., and was part of a week long Bass Festival, centering predominantly around upright bass. The cost was $125, which also includes entry to his concert this Friday, which he'll be doing solo.

The classes centered around the lessons and philosophies from his DVD and book, although he found new ways to present his ideas. He kept coming back to utilizing all twelve notes of the chromatic scale, that their are no real mistakes as long as it fits in with the groove, or "pulse" as he called it, of the song, and that the "right" note is only a fret away.

What impressed me most though is just how nice of a person he really is. Very down to earth, very patient, very intelligent, and very personable. I could go on and on trying to put down all the ideas I came away with, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the experience, and meeting a truly humble, gifted musician. If you ever have a chance to attend a workshop with him, by all means do it! Or, buy his book "The Music Lesson", and his DVD "The Groove Workshop". There is much to be learned from them besides the usual technique and theory lessons.

Has anyone else here ever attend one of his workshops or Bass Camps?

Post subject: Re: Victor Wooten Workshop
PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 7:38 am 

That sounds like an amazing experience. $125 for 3 days of lessons and a concert seems like a very reasonable price to me. Did he focus on upright as well? I'd not considered him an upright player but I have no doubt he can do it all.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 9:08 am 

Glad you got some value from it. I've wanted to attend one of his bootcamps for awhile now, but of course, all that is involved is time and money LOL.
He's putting on a 3 week intensive camp this summer on the east coast. Now that sounds awesome to me!! I can just imagine how sore my hands would be after 3 weeks ....

PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 9:46 am 

Very Cool! Glad you were able to attend.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 4:23 pm 

He was the only instructor there not related to upright. This was his first time at the Festival, and I think he was there more for his approach and philosophy to playing music. It's interesting to note that except for one cello player in the room, everyone else was an electric bass guitar player. At times though students from upright classes would come in after their class was over.

As you may know, his father was stationed on Oahu back when Victor was 3, and I believe he transferred out when Victor was 5 or 6. I hope the Festival was lucrative enough for him to come back. The class had a total of 50 to 60 attendees, and almost everyone came for the entire three days.

I would love to attend one of his mainland camps, but they are fairly expensive, ranging from about $1000 to $3000 depending on length. So this was an inexpensive way to get up close and personal with Victor, and the price of $125 for three days and a concert was definitely a deal! I'll report back after the concert, and let you know what he did.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 5:41 pm 

Vic's sessions run $750 for 1 week. $3300 for the 3 weeker. Both include room (such as it is) and meals.

This is a heck of a deal compared to Fur Peace Ranch (Jorma Kaukonen's camp). Will run you $1275 for Fri afternoon to Monday afternoon. Accomodations will be xtra if they run out of space by the time you book which is often the case as their sessions sell out fast.

But then again where else will you be able to spend 4 days with the lovely and talented Cindy Cashdollar ... errrr ... I meant Oteil Burbridge .... man, what a choice to have to make!!