LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:51 pm

Post subject: Smokin' Joe Bonamassa
PostPosted: March 20th, 2010, 1:25 am 

Just got back from seeing Joe. As usual, I left with my jaw hanging on the floor about 3 rows behind me. My gawd, that mutha can PLAY!

I really don't know where to begin. One of the highlights for me was Young Man Blues - a Bonamassa'd Who version. No windmills tho :-)
Here's a rough set list:
Ballad Of John Henry
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
So It’s Like That
If Heartaches Where Nickels
Further on Up the Road
Sloe Gin
Blue and Evil
Lonesome Road Blues
Happier Times
Three Times A Fool
Great flood/Blues Deluxe
Young Mans Blues
Bird on a Wire
Woke up Dreaming

The man put in Jimmy Page, BB king, Albert Collins, Pete Townshend riffs all over the place. Not to mention flashes of Django, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck, Ron Wood, i could go on for ever, there is just SO MUCH heritage in his playing.
He is one of the most fluid, dynamic players I've ever seen.

Changed his guitar for just about every song as well.
Started off with what looked like an orange double-neck Kramer (6 and 6). His sig JB Les Paul. A cherry burst Paul. Another cherry burst LP, but with a lot more flame. A vintagy looking black LP Custom. A RI Korina Explorer. A RI Korina Flying V - a least I hope their RI's!!!. What appeared to be a deliciously purple-hazed Music Man Axis.
The only vintage guitar was a Cherry Red ES-345 with Varitone. No Strats (as expected). Only brought out one acoustic this time. Either a very nicely apponted J-45 or possibly a Collings?? Hard to tell, i was a bit too far back to see headstock logos this time.

Ok enuff of Joe gushing! His bassist ain't bad either! Goes by the name of Tony Rojas. He used a pretty simple racked up rig. Of course I couldn't see what was in there but he was using only one Eden D410XLT (last time he had two).
Really ticked me off that i couldn't tell what kind of bass he used. It looked like it was a Roscoe 5'er. But it was hard to see the headstock from where I was. He didn't move around the stage at all. He sat down the whole time as he is recovering from eye surgury and had an eyepatch on. Didn't affect his playing tho.

At any rate, I highly ecommend you drop everything and go see Joe & Co if they come anywhere near your town!

Post subject: Re: Smokin' Joe Bonamassa
PostPosted: March 20th, 2010, 1:46 am 

Very cool, thanks for the review!

Now, go get some sleep! ;) :D

PostPosted: March 20th, 2010, 6:31 am 

There was a concert of his filmed in London shown on our local PBS station (Albany NY - WMHT might be on their website it was a fundraiser thing) not sure if it has been shown nationally. He is playing the Egg in Albany in April already sold out. I wanted to go but have to work that night. He's from Utica NY. Bonamassa-mania has arrived here! He is awesome.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 1:31 am 

Aha! it's an Xotic 5 string bass. Never heard of it before, no wonder I didn't recognize it! You may have to become a fan of Carmine to view the pic.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=95302420395&ref=search&sid=1061794185.1989359593..1&v=info#!/photo.php?pid=785270&op=3&o=all&view=all&subj=95302420395&aid=-1&oid=95302420395&id=1524040309

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 2:16 am 

Cool!

Still, too bad Eric Czar isn't playing with him anymore. Incredible (and incredibly creative) bassplayer!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 7:36 am 

Eric is badass! Watching him play with Joe in the Live at the Rock Palast DVD was where I got the itch to acquire an ATK bass, especially a five string. I'm just blown away every time I watch his new DVD "Live at the Royal Albert Hall". It's a two-disc set, with two drummers. Highly recommended!

I would hope one day he decides to play Honolulu....

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 3:39 pm 

Yes, Eric Czar is awesome and his tone on the DVD is fantastic.