LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 2:26 am

Post subject: Re: Emergency! Flood! Help!
PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 11:48 am 

Thanks for the kind words. :)

The basement is partially finished, as I was in the middle of installing a drop ceiling and drywall when this happened. In hindsight, it's probably fortunate I didn't have it completed yet, as the moisture and mold potential would have meant ripping everything up to get at it.

I spoke to Metlife today. I can tell already they're going to nickel and dime me, as they told me I wouldn't be covered for mold removal because, "I didn't report it immediately". First off, I scrambled to dry the room out as best I could and have continued to do so, but it only takes mold 48 hours or less to begin and I started seeing it growing until a few days later. Second, I wasn't sure I'd be putting in a claim until I assessed damages, and those damages haven't become fully evident until now. I had an environmentalist/mold removal company in last week to assess the situation, and they confirmed mold growing.

They're supposed to send an insurance adjuster soon, and call me back to schedule a visit. I took pictures as I was removing things, but some stuff has already been thrown out and I'm beginning to wonder if the situation doesn't look as grim as it did that night or a day later enough for them to consider it serious damage. Catch 22 and they know it: you need to scramble to clean stuff up and prevent health risks ASAP yet they want physical evidence of said damage (Despite telling me it might take a couple of days to set up an appointment). So what the f*ck was I supposed to do, leave the basement flooded with 4" of water and let my stuff float around in it until they show up to approve my damage? :x

Post subject: Re: Emergency! Flood! Help!
PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 12:09 pm 

... and if you had left everything floating in the water, they'd ding you for creating a health hazard and probably report you to various agencies who would cite you :-)

Godd luck!