LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:38 am

Post subject: A "shout out" for T-Bone Wolk
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 11:03 am 

Just wanted to offer my respects for the untimely loss of Tom "T-Bone" Wolk who died of heart attack on Saturday (1951-2010). We all gotta go, but 58 is waaaaay too early to leave the party. I always held him in high esteem as one hell of a groove-y bassist. He will be missed, but those classic Hall and Oates bass lines will live on forever. I've got "Maneater" stuck in my head right now..... :cry:

The 58-years-old bassist collapsed on Saturday night in Pawling, NY hours after a studio session. He had been recording a solo album. He was due to perform on Monday for the anniversary show of NBC’s 'Late Night with Jimmy Fallon', with Daryl Hall and John Oates. Since the late '70s, Wolk has been one of the steadiest-working bassists in popular music. A small sampling of his discography is as follows: Carly Simon, Shawn Colvin, Elvis Costello, Roseanne Cash, Cyndi Lauper, Harry Nilsson, Amanda Marshall, Grey Eye Glances, Paul Carrack, Diane Ziegler, Charlie Musselwhite, Jewel, Ivo, Jellyfish, Avril Lavigne, Billy Joel, Joe Pesci, Leslie Miller, John Eddie and Chynna Phillips.

Wolk's two highest-profile gigs, however, were his long-standing stints with Hall And Oates, which began in 1981 (he got the job after playing on Kurtis Blow's breakthrough rap smash, The Breaks) and his on-camera role as bassist in the Saturday Night Live house band, in which he was paired with fellow Hall And Oates band member, guitarist GE Smith.

But Wolk wasn't simply a bass player. He co-produced several Hall And Oates albums, and recently, on Daryl Hall's continuing Internet Show, Live From Daryl's House, he played guitar and served as musical director.

Hall & Oates have paid tribute to their brother in arms - T-Bone Wolk, who died suddenly of a heart attack a couple of days back:

Daryl Hall: "To say that I am shocked is the ultimate understatement. T-Bone was my musical brother and losing him is like losing my right hand. It's not if I will go on, but how. T-Bone was one of the most sensitive and good human beings that I have ever known. And, I can truly say that I loved him."
John Oates: "His character was pure and his unique and quirky personality touched everyone he encountered. His musical sensibility was peerless, any instrument that he touched resonated with a sensitivity and skill level that I have never experienced while playing with any other musician. He possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of styles and musical history which he referenced to support all the artists that he played with over the years. He became our band's musical director over time leading by example and by the deference and respect that everyone who played alongside him so rightfully accorded him. He made everyone he played with better. So many times when I'm working on a musical passage or part, I think to myself: "How would T-Bone play this" and aspire to his level every time I perform. To this day I always keep one of his "I Love Vermont" guitar picks with me where ever I go and know in my heart that starting today the Heavenly Band just got one of the greatest multi-instrumentalist of all time and that band will from this day forward sound better than they ever have before."

Attachments:
t-bone-wolk.jpg
t-bone-wolk.jpg [ 31.28 KiB | Viewed 6376 times ]
 Post subject: Re: A "shout out" for T-Bone Wolk
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 11:13 am 

I was super bummed to hear this. What a talent..

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 3:56 pm 

OMG!!!! what a major loss. T-Bone was one of my faves.

There is a great example of him playing guitar with Darryl Hall that runs fairly frequently on Direct TV. It was a SXSW performance from last year I believe. Directv re-runs it all the time.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 6:50 pm 

I've never been that knowledgeable about the names of the great bass players who day-in and day-out anchor some of the greatest bands, and play the grooves on the some of the best songs to come over the airwaves. He will surely be missed, but has left an indelible mark in music, and on the world. T-Bone, you will be missed.......

PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 1:03 am 

Yes, this was shocking and sad news. T-Bone was a monster player and a musician's musician. He will be missed by all those who was aware of his great talent and contibutions to popular music.

R.I.P. T-Bone and thanks for all the great music.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 9:30 am 

He also used to transcribe famous bass lines for various guitar magazines in the early 80s (no bass mags yet). I seem to remember learning his transcription of The Who's "Substitute" around that time. When I saw his picture in the byline I thought "It's that guy from the Hall & Oates videos!"

And don't forget when Elvis Costello paired the two T-Bones (Wolk and Burnett) for his "King of America" band; the Confederates I think they were called. Too lazy to Wiki it....

PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 10:16 am 

So sad.....

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 3:06 am 

Wow that it terrible!! He was killer. I think I remember seeing a recorded live Hall and Oats show on TV from some famous TV show from the 70’s and I’m almost positive he was in it killing it. I remember Acoustic amps I think and his bass of choice a Fender. His tone and playing was great. I think he played with a pick and had a small solo. Darn I can see the logo of the show in my head sort of neon light looking logo with all the letters running together. There is a bunch of live recordings from that show like Steve Wonder and a bunch of other stuff. He blew me away!!!!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 7:52 am 

thumbslam wrote:
Wow that it terrible!! He was killer. I think I remember seeing a recorded live Hall and Oats show on TV from some famous TV show from the 70’s and I’m almost positive he was in it killing it. I remember Acoustic amps I think and his bass of choice a Fender. His tone and playing was great. I think he played with a pick and had a small solo. Darn I can see the logo of the show in my head sort of neon light looking logo with all the letters running together. There is a bunch of live recordings from that show like Steve Wonder and a bunch of other stuff. He blew me away!!!!

Don Kirshner's Midnight Special? They used to have "Midnight Special" in lights as a logo over most of the acts.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 9:27 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Don Kirshner's Midnight Special? They used to have "Midnight Special" in lights as a logo over most of the acts.

Two different shows. There was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" and "The Midnight Special" hosted by Wolfman Jack. T Bone didn't join Hall & Oates until 1981 and I believe both shows were off the air by then.

My fondest remembrance of T Bone was obviously his weekly stint on SNL. That trademark hat and smooth, effortless thumpy playing made me envious. He was always the guy I looked at as inspiration when I was first learning bass. "How cool is this guy that he gets to play bass on TV every week", I used to think. Like Marcus Miller, he wasn't only a bassist, but a producer, arranger, and multi-instrumentalist (I only recently found out he plays the accordion on Squeeze's, "Babylon and On" album).

R.I.P. T Bone

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 1:46 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

Two different shows. There was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" and "The Midnight Special" hosted by Wolfman Jack. T Bone didn't join Hall & Oates until 1981 and I believe both shows were off the air by then.

R.I.P. T Bone

ah well, vast parts of the 70's are just an illusion to my memory synapses.

Thanks PJ!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 5:00 pm 

"Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" Yeh man that's the one....Burnt up some brain cells to that show!! :D