LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:41 pm

Post subject: International shipping
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 11:25 am 

hey all-
what shippers do you all (from the conus) use to ship basses well packed overseas.....?
especially italy/germany.....
got some recent hits and wanted some advice....
am i drunk or is shipping to these spots like $400 via UPS?
any help would be appreciated...
Thanx

Post subject: Re: International shipping
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 11:50 am 

the method I use depends on the receiving country and the available skills of the receiving party.

say I was to ship a bass to Australia. The USPS or Austrailian Post has a size limitation of 42", so shipping a bass in a case is not available this route and FedEx/UPS/DHL/etc ... would be the fall back unless the receiving party is skilled in setting a neck (or has access to somebody who is versed in this activity)

in this latter case, there is potential to ship a body and neck unattached and make use of the USPS rather attractive shipping rates (about 30% of FedEx!) and leaving the receiving party the task of securing a case plus attachment of the neck/body and final set-up tweaks.

of course not every sale has a situation where I feel confident that this is a viable solution, and e-mail exchange would need to take place to where I did feel confident else I'd rule out the option and potentially lose a sale due to the higher shipping costs.

each country has its unique shipping size limitations when shipping via USPS, so check their international shipping restrictions on-line to see if you have a good fit with your shipping needs and the receiving country size/content restrictions

o - and remember to secure that battery! you don't want a package being rejected because the battery has potential to short in shipment ;)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 12:01 am 

I'm actually going through a shipping dilemma right now and I'm not sure what to do.

I just sold my Gretsch guitar on ebay to someone in Australia, and they just sent me a Paypal payment including a shipping cost of $110 that was calculated for them by ebay's built in shipping calculator. But according to what I know about Australia, packages cannot exceed 42" in length, and my package will be 49"L x 21"W x 9"H. When I plug these dimensions into USPS, UPS, and Fedex, they all come up to a whopping $550 shipping! The guitar's a neck thru, so I can't remove the neck. I'm certainly not going to eat a $440 shipping discrepancy cost, but I also checked other dealers on ebay selling the same guitar and the shipping for Australia comes up as $110 on their auctions as well. What am I missing here?

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 11:10 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I'm actually going through a shipping dilemma right now and I'm not sure what to do.

I just sold my Gretsch guitar on ebay to someone in Australia, and they just sent me a Paypal payment including a shipping cost of $110 that was calculated for them by ebay's built in shipping calculator. But according to what I know about Australia, packages cannot exceed 42" in length, and my package will be 49"L x 21"W x 9"H. When I plug these dimensions into USPS, UPS, and Fedex, they all come up to a whopping $550 shipping! The guitar's a neck thru, so I can't remove the neck. I'm certainly not going to eat a $440 shipping discrepancy cost, but I also checked other dealers on ebay selling the same guitar and the shipping for Australia comes up as $110 on their auctions as well. What am I missing here?

You're not missing much at all PJ. eBay international calculator is not accurate for oversized packages. Hopefully you had some kind of shipping disclaimer in your listing?