LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 3:49 pm

Post subject: Busy around here lately
PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Been a decent amount of activity on the board the past couple days. Are we getting closer to legitimacy? ;)

Post subject: Re: Busy around here lately
PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 1:57 pm 

I'm not!

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 2:19 pm 

andrew wrote:
Been a decent amount of activity on the board the past couple days. Are we getting closer to legitimacy? ;)

I guess that depends on your definition Andrew... My definition of legitimacy: anything that would persuade me to spend an inordinate amount of time posting my entire collection of lefty basses AGAIN after the completely SUCK experience I had with a certain "pit" forum some time ago when I said I was swearing off participating in this kind of thing supposedly forever.... you guys have won me over.

What's yours?

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 2:42 pm 

as a former Mod there who spent 80ish hours compiling all of the repair/modification chaos into usable, searchable threads to support the new forum engine format (I had a couple weeks notice that all the old data was going bye-bye) and then arriving one morning a couple weeks later to discover that -EVERYTHING- got wiped so that we could have new colors ... I hear ya

Come to think of it, I don't believe I ever logged back in again after I learned there was no backup to restore and that all my work was simply gone

Yes Andrew - this is a great place you've made for us!!! 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 2:55 pm 

This forum kicks ass.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 2:57 pm 

All the active topics are from today only. That's pretty busy IMHO. But the number of commenters is still somewhat low.

This forum does rock.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 3:04 pm 

Considering I got kicked off another site (despite years of annual monetary contributions) when we started up because I made the mistake of mentioning us, I have a lot at stake here, LOL.

BTW, does anybody still go to "that" site anymore? I htink there are about 2 lefty bassists there, while the rest of the lefty forum discusses Agiles ad nauseum.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Carmine wrote:
andrew wrote:

I guess that depends on your definition Andrew... My definition of legitimacy: anything that would persuade me to spend an inordinate amount of time posting my entire collection of lefty basses AGAIN after the completely SUCK experience I had with a certain "pit" forum some time ago when I said I was swearing off participating in this kind of thing supposedly forever.... you guys have won me over.

What's yours?

Just joking Carmine. I've always thought this was a legit board, just a small, slow moving legit board. Just making a joke about a couple comments about this board that've popped up on other boards in the past. :D

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

pjmuck wrote:
Considering I got kicked off another site (despite years of annual monetary contributions) when we started up because I made the mistake of mentioning us, I have a lot at stake here, LOL.

BTW, does anybody still go to "that" site anymore? I htink there are about 2 lefty bassists there, while the rest of the lefty forum discusses Agiles ad nauseum.

I havn't been on the FDP in months, and probably only poke my head in to see what's up there MAYBE 3 times a year, but not post. No ill will to the guys on that board (though booting you was a douche move Peter), just over time I found other boards with more talk that I felt I could contribute to.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Rodent wrote:
as a former Mod there who spent 80ish hours compiling all of the repair/modification chaos into usable, searchable threads to support the new forum engine format (I had a couple weeks notice that all the old data was going bye-bye) and then arriving one morning a couple weeks later to discover that -EVERYTHING- got wiped so that we could have new colors ... I hear ya

Come to think of it, I don't believe I ever logged back in again after I learned there was no backup to restore and that all my work was simply gone

Yes Andrew - this is a great place you've made for us!!! 8-)

all the best,

R

I know the pain you went through Rod, it was the same with the lefty forum on the Pit. Every time it felt like we had the tiniest bit of steam going we'd lose everything, and have to start over.

A LOT of the negative experiences I've had on bass boards in the past shape this place. That's why I want the place to stay simple, why I'm gunshy of donations, and don't want to have that "my house, my rules" crap here ( I don't like that on boards at all).

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 11:23 pm 

I remember about that time I was just beginning to get the hang of surfing the internet, and enjoyed discovering new bass forums. I do recall being a bit shocked at times at the quickness to which the members of that forum would jump down the throats of newbies, and anyone who didn't take their explanations and thoughts of bass matters as gospel. Those questions/threads seemed to deteriorate after only three to five posts, and the flaming would quickly have nothing to do with said question. Even "the big one" we all look at used to "go there", although I think the moderators over there have done a good job of squashing the squabbling....

I think there is something to be said regarding this forum in that first of all, it specializes on a particular segment of the bass community, and because of that, although there are less posts at times, it is easy to keep up with the threads, and know whatis on forum members minds, whether it be a gear-or-gas question. Each morning, after checking my home and Yahoo mail accounts, this is the next "must see" site for me. Keeping up with the latest leftyBass news is as important to me as my first cup of coffee!

lastly, the camaraderie here is very palpable, and the support without flaming is one less thing to have to deal with during my surfing day. Everyone here deals with questions and redundancies (although there isn't much in this forum) with patience, and wisdom. This forum should be looked at by other forums as a positive model on how to participate in forums in general!

I know that if there is ever a request to support this forum financially, or asked for any kind of support that keeps LeftyBassist rolling along, we'll all be there to do whatever we're asked to do. In the meantime, I think the best way to show support is to just post comments on members threads. Like we're all doing here! ;)

Aloha,
Ian

PostPosted: November 19th, 2009, 4:06 am 

As Karl Marx once said:

"I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member" :lol: :lol:

...or was that Groucho... ;)

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 12:43 pm 

pjmuck wrote:

I had no clue which site you meant. I assumed Harmony Central, but they don't accept contributions. Ah, the FDP. I completely forgot about them. Are they still around. Looks like it. Can't believe they still have the same design ala 1995.

I once pointed out why a few users were having a technical issues. In the end, reverendrob pointed out the issue, taking all the credit. Everyone other there is so clueless especially Chris and Rob.

I honestly can't believe that site is still around. Their pageviews are trending downwards: http://siteanalytics.compete.com/fenderforum.com/

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 2:22 pm 

this place was already legitamate when i signed up 6 months ago, theres always something here that catches my attention, to all the mods great job, hopefully this site will continue to expand and with that we as a community will gain new pieces of informataion and experiances and maybe just maybe some leverage when it comes to the instrument manufatures who claim there just isnt enough of us to try to appeal to

PostPosted: November 20th, 2009, 5:37 pm 

I am very glad to see the heightened activity and all the new "faces" here. This is a great board Andrew has created something special here and it is truly gratifying to see it not only survive but grow. This place was "legitimate" from the first day it launched, no need to worry about that! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 6:18 pm 

This is a great site, but I do tend to lurk here more than on most other sites. I wish we had a spam/random subforum to chat about nonlefty/bassist stuff.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

baalroo wrote:
This is a great site, but I do tend to lurk here more than on most other sites. I wish we had a spam/random subforum to chat about nonlefty/bassist stuff.

We do, The Leftorium. I can't help that no one uses it for that. :mrgreen: