LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 7:08 pm

Post subject: Question about the site menu
PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 2:52 pm 

Andrew, I've noticed as I roam around the site that I randomly happen upon things related to particular brands of basses quite by (happy) accident. I propose that it would be helpful to have brand related categories at the index level as some other forums do, just to give folks a gathering point that is specific to a particular lefty friendly brand (Fender, etc.). For example, I'd start with Ibanez since they've been lefty friendly almost since the very beginning-- plus I have a bunch of Ibanez basses across all eras which I can post and comment on, as do many others. I’m sure this has been considered so tell me to shut up, but thought I’d throw my 2 cents in?

Post subject: Re: Question about the site menu
PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Carmine, are you suggesting sub forums of the basses forum that are brand specific? ie. a forum for nothing but Fender basses?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 4:02 pm 

I think that's what he's getting at.

And BTW Carmine, that's the best avatar I've seen in weeks!

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 10:03 pm 

Yep Andrew, AzWhoFan is right that's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's just me, but the site is really starting to catch on, and with topics under Basses now up to 159, it's getting to be a challenge to go back thru them to zero in on topics dealing with a specific brand. Might be time to spread things out a bit....what do you think? :idea:

(AzWhoFan, thanks for the avatar comment-- I only wish I actually had the bass!!) :lol:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 5:36 am 

Carmine wrote:
(AzWhoFan, thanks for the avatar comment-- I only wish I actually had the bass!!) :lol:
So where is that bass now?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 7:03 am 

Carmine, I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how we would go about it. The only problem I envision is actually conditioning everyone to post in the proper place/category, thus creating a confusing list of sub-categories we (or Andrew) would have to sift through to reclaim the posts and put them in the proper place later. Even if it were simply set up as a list of A-Z bass categories, I could easily see members posting in the wrong section. It happens already, when you consider 159 posts vs. the thousands of posts listed on Talk Bass that aren't bass-specific, it does seem that using the "search" function may be the best way to find what you need.

I'm all ears, however, if you have suggestions.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 9:00 am 

Another point to think about is the cost factor. Right now Andrew & Co. are self supporting the costs of the site. Adding new forums costs them more $$$ - and i imagine sub-forums would as well - and could increase their overhead to the point where donations or subscription fees might become necessary.

I for one, being the cheap S.O.B. that I am, am thoroughly grateful that this site is still free to anyone who wishes to join.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 10:09 am 

Which brings up another point: why isn't there a donate link? Some other forums I'm on have a simple paypal button at the bottom of the page that a member can click to give whatever amount they would like. Probably wouldn't get much now, but might as well give the option right?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 12:35 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Carmine, I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how we would go about it. The only problem I envision is actually conditioning everyone to post in the proper place/category, thus creating a confusing list of sub-categories we (or Andrew) would have to sift through to reclaim the posts and put them in the proper place later. Even if it were simply set up as a list of A-Z bass categories, I could easily see members posting in the wrong section. It happens already, when you consider 159 posts vs. the thousands of posts listed on Talk Bass that aren't bass-specific, it does seem that using the "search" function may be the best way to find what you need.

I'm all ears, however, if you have suggestions.

PJ, that's kinda my point: Going thru the thousands of posts on Talkbass, I know there's a lot that goes missed by using a search function...and the higher the number of posts, the worse it gets. I wasn't thinking A-Z, I'm was thinking more of the Ebay type setup where you have a short list of the most popular established brands, and "other brands" category to cover the rest. I think folks would adapt to it pretty quickly, of course there's always going to be occassional incidents of somebody posting in the wrong section-- but that happens no matter what you do, so I wouldn't consider that a reason not to do it. I also wouldn't try to go back and sift through old posts and move incorrect ones-- I'm only thinking about going forward, not backward--another reason this would be the best time to do it, while the number of posts is still (relatively) small.

One thing I hadn't considered was additional costs-- Andrew would have to let us know about that.... I must sympathize with AzWhoFan, for I too have been known to be a bit of a cheap SOB on more than one occasion ...

adgc wrote:
Carmine wrote:
So where is that bass now?

For all I know it might be where it is in the picture--if I'd ever owned it i would never have let go of it! :lol:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

baalroo wrote:
Which brings up another point: why isn't there a donate link?

I appreciate you putting that out there, but I'm fine with the site being free and so far it's not costing me anything that hurts to take out of my wallet, so it's no biggie. I figure we all pay extra for our basses, so let's have something lefty specific we can enjoy that doesn't cost us extra, so for now that'll be this board. :)

As long as the costs don't get too out of hand let's let everyone enjoy without the need for donation or fees. If things change in the future I'll be the first to let everyone know. ;)

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Carmine wrote:
Yep Andrew, AzWhoFan is right that's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's just me, but the site is really starting to catch on, and with topics under Basses now up to 159, it's getting to be a challenge to go back thru them to zero in on topics dealing with a specific brand. Might be time to spread things out a bit....what do you think? :idea:

I think it's a good idea and I hope it will be merited in the near future, but for now I don't quite think we're to the point where we should sub divide the forums. I like the simplicity we have at the moment and would like to hold on to it as long as we can, but you're right about the idea to subdivide Carmine, it's a good idea and it's day will come, just not today. thanks for suggesting it though, it's nice to see that you guys are paying attention to this place! :)

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

P.S. If anyone ever has suggestions for this place do not be shy to let us know! I really do appreciate hearing from you about things that could make this place better.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 7:45 am 

andrew wrote:
baalroo wrote:
Which brings up another point: why isn't there a donate link?

I appreciate you putting that out there, but I'm fine with the site being free and so far it's not costing me anything that hurts to take out of my wallet, so it's no biggie. I figure we all pay extra for our basses, so let's have something lefty specific we can enjoy that doesn't cost us extra, so for now that'll be this board. :)

As long as the costs don't get too out of hand let's let everyone enjoy without the need for donation or fees. If things change in the future I'll be the first to let everyone know. ;)

That's very noble of you Andrew, and I would hope I speak for all the members of the forum in expressing my appreciation for the work you do keeping it running so smoothly. Personally I'd be more than happy to make a donation any time (and not just so I can write it off as a tax loss! :lol: ).

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 8:35 pm 

andrew wrote:
Carmine wrote:

I think it's a good idea and I hope it will be merited in the near future, but for now I don't quite think we're to the point where we should sub divide the forums. I like the simplicity we have at the moment and would like to hold on to it as long as we can, but you're right about the idea to subdivide Carmine, it's a good idea and it's day will come, just not today. thanks for suggesting it though, it's nice to see that you guys are paying attention to this place! :)

Thanks Andrew (being the cheap SOB that I am, the one thing you can always count on me to pay is attention! :lol:) But seriously, thanks for being open to our thoughts and comments, it's one of the things that make this site a very cool place to be a part of, we are all very appreciative of your efforts and would be glad to help out in any way!

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 10:00 am 

I wasn't proposing any membership fees, but I think some of us would LIKE to be givin the option to help support the site. I have one forum where a bunch of us periodically toss a few bucks the way of the owner just to feel all warm and tingly about contributing to one of our favorite things. You wouldn't have to beg for money or anything, I just don't see why you wouldn't make it easy for us to buy you an eBeer occassionally to show our appreciation.