LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 12th, 2024, 12:39 pm

Post subject: need help deciding in 5 or 6 string
PostPosted: September 4th, 2009, 9:36 pm 

hi all I am currently considering getting either a 5 or 6 string and i will only be able to spend up to $700 my wish list would include humbucking active 24 fret with a 3 band eq but im open to all suggestions...with that being said im lost can i get some suggestions?

Post subject: Re: need help deciding in 5 or 6 string
PostPosted: September 7th, 2009, 10:56 pm 

I guessing here you play a 4 banger? I did for 15 years before I switched to a 5'r and only in the last 2 years started playing a 6'r as well. Massive difference from 5 to 6 I would suggest starting with a 5'r. You will most likely get a better 5 for 7 bones than a 6 anyway. Are you intersted in 34" or 35" many of the new models in 5 and 6 arenas are 35" so I think a logical thing to do is narrow your search and ask yourself some questions. What length scale, is used o.k., do I know enough about used gear to spot a turd as in neck issues or electronic wise. I will say this I was scared jumping to a 5 string at first and I bought several cheepo models. Once I adapted to 5 strings I don’t even like playing a 4 string bass anymore. It’s like why didn’t they finish this thing? For me I love the slightly tighter string spacing and I like my thumb resting on the B. I think 5 string necks are a bit more stable and hold their shape because of the increase in mass of the wood and it’s width on the neck. They just sound deeper to me as well. Anyone will say try a bunch of basses out and see what is comfortable to you. I try right handed basses at stores to get an idea of the tone and feel of the neck. As far as new goes I never liked Ibanez, to me they feel like if I squeeze them a little they are going to turn into dust. They just feel weak and cheep. I think the Schecter line up offers a lot of different basses and loaded with EMGs on some. I think a bit more sturdy than the Ibanez.Lastly this is all my own opinion and well you know how that goes. I wasted so much money in my time buying lower end basses, amps, everything instead of making a better decision from the start and spending a little more dough on that bass I would keep if I like instead of well if I like it I’ll buy a better one and sell this corn cob twanger. Just another 2 cents you don’t need….

You can find almost all the things you are looking for below

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_bass.htm

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 8:39 am 

well from a logical point of view 35" scale is preferable to give extra tension to the b string and i agree with your thoughts on ibanez the neck is to way to thin on all models, i recently tried a 6 string of theirs at a pawn shop that specializes in instruments and i was scared to tune it in fear that the neck would snap (i wish i was exagerating) which is nothing to say of the basses condition since it was mint but regardless i have my eyes set on either a warwick corvette 5 or schecter stilleto custom 6 ive tried both and the necks on both seem pretty stable the only thing i would do to either one is throw in a bartollini 3 band preamp thats wired for 18 volts but i was hoping people would chime in with some models that they like to give me an idea of what else is out there maybe some little known brand or maybe a big brand with a little known model oh well thanks for the advice much appreciated

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 9:42 pm 

Being a lefty narrows selections up. Carvin, MTD Z-Basses, Spector, Ken Smith Designs, but I would say with that kind of scratch the best bang for the buck in that price range is a G&L 2500 if you can find a used one.....

She has a ding or two but I looked at this a few times. You got 13 hours..

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-G-and-L-L2500-L ... 286.c0.m14