LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 11:30 am

Post subject: Replacement P-bass pickup for 1970s sound
PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 11:37 am 

I asked this question on Basschat.co.uk but you peeps are always so helpful, I thought I would post it here.

The P-bass pickup on my Frankenbass is shot and needs replacing. I've always been partial to the punchy P-bass sound of the 1970s. Think Sting, Roger Waters, Bruce Thomas. Does anyone know if any aftermarket replacement brands lean towards that sound? Even including the stuff Fender themselves make.

I am aware that Besscentre here in the UK made a Bruce Thomas signature bass and it does indeed have the exact sound, but they don't sell the pickup separately.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Replacement P-bass pickup for 1970s sound
PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 12:37 pm 

I'd look into Nordstrand pups. Talk to them and see if their standard pups would fit the bill. I don't know if they are doing custom winds any more, couldn't hurt to ask though!
https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-precision-bass-pickups

PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 3:30 pm 

I have an original early 70's P-bass pickup in a Warmoth build. Swamp ash body, maple neck. The pickup is exactly what you'd think it is- a nice full, typical P-bass tone. I have a few Precisions, one with a Duncan vintage split, and two with EMG's. I like the EMG's the best- because of the power and punch an active pickup gives, and the lack of needing a bridge ground wire- eliminating the shock hazard.
There's SO many pickups to choose from. I really liked a friend's MIM '58 reissue with a Fender Custom Shop '62 pickup installed in it. Great pickup. I also LOVE the pickups in my Fender Japan '62 reissues. I have EMG's in there now, but those Japanese pickups are snarly, growly pickups with rounds..

PostPosted: March 25th, 2022, 11:27 am 

Thanks very much - this is really useful info!

PostPosted: March 25th, 2022, 1:45 pm 

I have Nordstrands in my custom P/J build. But, I really like the G&L MFD's

PostPosted: March 26th, 2022, 8:19 am 

Sorry for a possible slight hijack, and I know you said 70s- but I just heavily modded a Player P, and I got a Fender Pure Vintage 63 pickup. It’s super loud and aggressive and is one of the best PBass pickups I’ve personally played. I’ve had a boatload of actual 70s Precisions, and to my ears at least this pickup is on par.
May not be what you’re looking for but I thought I’d mention it anyway. Good luck in your search.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2022, 8:27 am 

Matt R. wrote:
Sorry for a possible slight hijack, and I know you said 70s- but I just heavily modded a Player P, and I got a Fender Pure Vintage 63 pickup. It’s super loud and aggressive and is one of the best PBass pickups I’ve personally played. I’ve had a boatload of actual 70s Precisions, and to my ears at least this pickup is on par.
May not be what you’re looking for but I thought I’d mention it anyway. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the info! I've been watching more videos and it looks like these clips of Bruce Thomas demonstrating his signature bass are the sounds I have in my head. Is it similar to those pickups you mentioned above?

https://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?page_id=24

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2022, 2:45 am 

The story has a happy ending! The Bruce Thomas pickups were available seperately, after a phone call to the Bass Centre, and have been installed. I haven't played out with them yet, but I have practiced. The video reviews on YouTube and Thomas' own clips posted above are quite accurate at portraying what the sound is like. This is very much what I associate the 70s P-Bass sound with, although I guess that's actually wrong since Thomas based this on his 64 model, but souped up. So maybe Fender's 63 reissue also sounds like this. BTW as other reviewers have said online, these pickups are quite loud: easily the loudest bass pickups I have ever owned in fact. But that is of no importance to me, I was concerned about the tone which is just what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!