The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:24 am

Post subject: Schecter Jazz 5 @ Amazon $363
PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 7:53 am 

Seems like a solid deal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I ... 0DER&psc=1

Post subject: Re: Schecter Jazz 5 @ Amazon $363
PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 2:18 pm 

Something is very wrong with the reviews posted below on Amazon for this product. It looks like a bad astroturf job or the product picture/description do not match what is actually being sold.

Quote:
I'm a 20 year player and I've been thickening up guitar strings and dropping them down for 15 years - I may not have to anymore.

A few minor appointments aside, like the hideous plastic badge on the headstock (easily pried off), and a bit of fret buzz (which seems inevitable with this sort of thing), this guitar is amazing. Now, I say "guitar" because it's fundamentally a "guitar" instrument, but it's very much not just a guitar. It's also not really a bass. And the tuning is too low to call it a baritone. It's tuned E-E, but an octave below standard guitar, so it's on the bass clef. But there are 6 strings. And it's a guitar neck. The strings are very close together which makes finger-style bass nearly impossible. The tuning is so low that full chords with distortion turn into mush. Clean, you can probably get away with full chords if you play close to the bridge.

So, what are we left with? A very unique sound. Heavy as gravity with power chords and a fuzz. Cleans up real nice for straight bass tones. The stock pickups are... ok. I plan on replacing them with some Lace Alumitones. Not enough definition in them.

Quote:
First off this is a bass, not a baritone or electric guitar. It has six strings spaced like guitar strings and a medium scale, but the top 4 strings are just like on a regular bass, with a high B and E string like a regular guitar only an octave lower. From the description it's hard to tell. Also it's not left handed as you might think from the first line.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 2:21 pm 

Agreed those reviews read veeeerry fishy. Schecter has a good reputation, but when you're purchasing on amazon.com ALWAYS make sure you know what supplier you are actually buying from.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 2:29 pm 

I saw he same bass 4 strings @ GC last week for $1100.
This may be an edited listing.