LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 15th, 2024, 11:57 pm

Post subject: Eastwood 4/6 double neck
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 9:32 am 

No pix yet, but a schematic showing what this will be. Based on a 60's Telestar double neck guitar/bass. Not for everyone, obviously, but the thing I do like about the design so far is the guitar will be on top, which I've wanted vs on bottom, since I tend to strap my guitars higher than my basses. Not crazy about a single PUP on the bass though, especially positioned up near the neck heel, but I guess at this price one could modify it with a second PUP. I would think (hope) that the tone chambered mahogany body would result in a lighter double neck, as long as that doesn't result in neck dive. Looks like it will come in lefty sunburst only. Anyway, I'm interested:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... eck-4-6-lh

Post subject: Re: Eastwood 4/6 double neck
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 5:15 pm 

Cool:

Attachments:
Doubleneck_a644e126-ac78-49eb-a7e7-16d8a1380f22_1090x.jpg
Doubleneck_a644e126-ac78-49eb-a7e7-16d8a1380f22_1090x.jpg [ 81.83 KiB | Viewed 4781 times ]
PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 3:36 pm 

I've always wanted something like this, but then I wonder how practical it would be ("Hey guys, I'm switching to guitar now... Wait, but then who's playing bass?") Anyhoo, I'm interested... but always wondered about this model too, http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriedoublebkleft.html -- Anyone have any experience with that one? Thoughts on it vs. the planned Eastwood? (Beyond the fact that the bass/guitar order is flipped...)

Last edited by rdavidson on April 30th, 2018, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2018, 4:23 pm 

I think if you are good with a looper you could do great things with that beast.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 6:19 am 

rdavidson wrote:
I've always wanted something like this, but then I wonder how practical it would be ("Hey guys, I'm switching to guitar now... Wait, but then who's playing bass?") Anyhoo, I'm interested... but always wondered about this model too, http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriedoublebkleft.html -- Anyone have any experience with that one? Thoughts on it vs. the planned Eastwood? (Beyond the fact that the bass/guitar order is flipped...)

Agree, it's more of a novelty than something you could use with any regularity, given the points you mentioned and the fact that these things usually weigh well over 10 lbs. But if you happen to be in a Prog Rock cover band doing Rush or Genesis, then you're good to go! :)

I own the Agile double neck. It's heavy - over 11lbs - but it balances well. The configuration has me wishing for this Eastwood model, since I do find myself wishing the guitar was on top due my strap height preferences when I play guitar and bass. If I strapped this where I normally would for bass, the guitar section would be down around my knees, so I strap it as high as possible, but the trade off is the bass section ends up way higher than I normally like it. But if you're a Johnny Ramone-type punk player and like your guitar strung low, then this might work for you fine. It's a solid, well-built instrument, however. The guitar side is pretty good, nice chimey resonant tones, but the bass side has very boomy tones and could use more clarity and definition. (Maybe new PUPs or higher tone pots). Very old school Gibson though, which you might like, but as it were, i've been using it pretty much with a pick. And here's the other idiotic thing about a lot of these double neck designs in general: 1 output jack? Who's gonna run their guitar and bass into the same amp? I ended up running mine into an A/B box to split the signal to two amps. With the 3 way switch, you do have the option of running bass alone, guitar alone, or both out, but in my experience you don't really want to do that because when you switch to playing either instrument the other resonates and it will amplify and/or feedback without the ability to mute it, so it's best to switch the 3 way to mute the instrument you're not playing.

It's fun and it's a conversation piece, but limited use obviously.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!!!!! It's hard to pull the trigger, knowing for me at least it is definitely more a conversation piece and novelty. But it would sure be fun to have!!

PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 5:43 pm 

HansSchwartz wrote:
I think if you are good with a looper you could do great things with that beast.

Absolutely!

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.