LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 9th, 2024, 2:26 am

Post subject: Re: 1994 Black on black Ric
PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 11:58 am 

Congrats! I have an 80 Ric and remember when you play this make it sound like a Ric. so many folks get Ric's then try to make them sound like a Fender. When in reality what makes Ric so great is the unique sound. Like others looking forward to what you think of it and again Congrats on a great deal.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 12:06 pm 

I'm coming to the party late. I have played a fretless Ric back in the 80's, that was left handed with no lines or face markers. The one I played was at the House of Guitars, but it was the Jet Glow finish. Looked just like this but with chrome hardware.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm 

Wow, thank you all very much for the nice replies. Really makes me feel good. I bugged the seller to the point that he was probably getting irritated with me. I asked for a couple more photos and got them. I combed Ricsource and google hard yesterday to find any info on fretless with no face markers. Came up empty handed and got a little spooked. When I was not the high bidder, I emailed Ric yesterday, because their serial # encoder just gives you year and month of manufacture. I was hoping for more than that. I hadn't heard back. Last night I babysat that listing off and on until 5am, rolled the dice and got the high bid. So today, before I made payment, I heard back from Ric with enough info to validate. It was a great coincidence, because truth be told I was all in and going to make payment anyway. I sometimes take a chance here and there. Its how I scored my '92 LP Custom for $1000. I'm super excited and a little nervous: my most expensive gear purchase to date. I think I have a fairly rare bird coming. You guy's comments really help, and Billw97 made me feel a whole lot better. I guess worst case scenario, I was fairly certain it was a modded 4003s with a pro fretboard replacement. And there's a small chance it still could be, but I no longer think so.

I will give a full report when I receive the bass. I already see it has some tail-lift. I'm going to message the bridge back down hopefully. It'll be strung up with GHS Pressurewounds med gauge tuned to C standard so I don't think tail-lift will be an issue any longer.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm 

Have joy with the purchase.
I stared hard at the pic's and can't see any of the "S" body profiling - so it probably does have black edge binding - please let us know when you get it.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm 

I wouldn't mess with the bridge. That tail lift is not a big deal at all.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 9:22 pm 

Congrats on your purchase can you keep us updated on how you like it when it arrives?