LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:20 pm

Post subject: Wick 5 BO on the bay - a great price
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 10:22 am 

Daddy's Junky Music (sp?) just dropped the price of this puppy by $400 to $899. If it was a couple of hundred cheaper I'd have to whip out the plastic and tell you about the bass I just bought :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320334388720

Post subject: Re: Wick 5 BO on the bay - a great price
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 1:18 pm 

Great price! They're interesting basses, with a tone and feel like no other.
I played a Thumb 5 NT a little while ago, and loved it! Lots of mids and highs and a tight and powerful low end. Didn't like the preamp though. Switched to passive mode it was a hell of a lot louder! Maybe there's an internal output trimpot the owner doesn't know about.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 3:55 pm 

I've had very positive, albeit limited, experience with Daddy's when I buy direct from the store. I'm getting gassy....

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 7:31 pm 

Damn, that's a great price. I paid $1200 brand new for my 4 string Thumb BO 4 years ago from Adirondack Guitars, and I thought that was an excellent price at the time.

Warwicks are definitely an acquired taste. The baseball bat neck took some getting used to, and, dare I say, I don't hear the "Sound of wood" from these basses. IMO, they have a very dry, hi fi tone, and I agree that the preamp could probably be improved. Funny thing though, I always feel clumsy and sloppy playing mine, yet it's a surprisingly forgiving bass. It also has one of the fastest attack responses I've ever encountered on a bass. That took some getting used to as well, as I'm used to a certain lag time from the pluck to resulting tone from playing Fenders for so many years. Great for percussive, tapping styles, though I'm not very good at that style.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 9:41 pm 

leftybassatl wrote:
I've had very positive, albeit limited, experience with Daddy's when I buy direct from the store. I'm getting gassy....

+1. I used to hang around their stores when I lived in the NorthEast. I've bought a few things from them online, and never had a problem.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2009, 8:21 am 

I love and hate Thumbs. . .

That was my first "good" bass. I bought one brand-new in 1998 for $1500, just after playing my Yamaha RBX350 for two years. I didn't know anything about basses. . . active, passive, body design, weigh, string spacing. . . I though the Thumb looked so cool, but didn't understand why it was sending me to the doctor with back aches.

I played it for about one year, and did a lot of solo recordings. The tone on those basses is so unique, and I think spectacular. What definition, and the low B and just beautiful. A great bass from chord and solo playing.

But then I found my first Jazz bass, a used MIJ. And it was over. I discovered the beauty of passive, normal string spacing, balance, and longer upper horns. . .

I still wouldn't mind to have a Thumb to play at home.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2009, 8:48 am 

Had a 4 string Corvette years ago. Removed frets, required no fretboard finish, and it had an awesome sound. Really liked the adjustable individual nut slots - Brilliant.
(I remember some knucklehead had the following tag line: "Friends don't let friends play Warwicks.")

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2009, 9:08 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Damn, that's a great price. I paid $1200 brand new for my 4 string Thumb BO 4 years ago from Adirondack Guitars, and I thought that was an excellent price at the time.

Warwicks are definitely an acquired taste. The baseball bat neck took some getting used to, and, dare I say, I don't hear the "Sound of wood" from these basses. IMO, they have a very dry, hi fi tone, and I agree that the preamp could probably be improved. Funny thing though, I always feel clumsy and sloppy playing mine, yet it's a surprisingly forgiving bass. It also has one of the fastest attack responses I've ever encountered on a bass. That took some getting used to as well, as I'm used to a certain lag time from the pluck to resulting tone from playing Fenders for so many years. Great for percussive, tapping styles, though I'm not very good at that style.

FWIW, that "baseball bat" style neck is only prevelant with the ovankol necks (I think). The older model wicks have a thinner and IMO better feeling wenge neck. I played my modded 98 corvette std 5 at a gig earlier this week and had almost forgotten how great the neck felt! Slap tone is KILLER on them as well....almost as good as the MTD's (again, IMO) but it's a different kind of "good" lol.

Hmm...that would actually be a pretty good comparison. I might have to make some vids soon A/B'ing the 2 since wood combo's are similiar.

-J

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 8:37 am 

Daddy dropped the price by $50 to $849.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 9:12 am 

SOLD - not to me - anybody here pick it up?