LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 3:36 am

Post subject: Wal 4 String on Evil Bay
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm 

I've never had the honor of playing one of these basses, but people go nuts for them, and the prices are so high that they must really sing- I've not seen too many of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEFT-LEFTY-WAL-BASS ... 240%3A1318

Post subject: Re: Wal 4 String on Evil Bay
PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 12:04 pm 

wow, that is beautiful, its not often you see one in North America, I wonder if he's interested in trades...

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm 

What should a Wal like this go for? I'm really out of touch with Wals but I'm so intrigued.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 8:06 pm 

I bought mine from Gravebass. I paid close to 4k and it is worth every penny. I have had countless basses, many makes models and price ranges. The bass itself is great I can't say it's built any better than a Pedulla or a MTD or other basses in that sort of price range. The bass is a great investment money wise because there will never be more of them. Yes I heard they might be making more Wals but the sequel aint never as good as the original or worth as much and when they do start making them I believe the "originals" will be worth even more. The real things that I believe separate these wonders are the electronics and the pickups. NOTHING even comes close to the strength and clarity of the tone IMHO. The next thing that I love almost as much is there are so many builders out there that glue wood together and buy all the other shit and slap it on. How many freaking basses out there have Nordstrand or Barts in them with Agie or Bart pre-amps?? Nothing against that stuff but like a fine Cuban cigar a Wal is a "puro" Cuban cigars use Cuban tobacco for the filler and all the wrappers they don't buy other tobacco from anywhere else because it's easier or cheaper. The electronics are custom designed put together and same as the pickups. The bridge is their own even the knobs are custom. I think the tuners, truss rods, and some of the actual filters are brought in but that's pretty much it. Oh yeh the cases too. Now I know some expert will correct me on a lot of this stuff. I'm not saying I'm an expert I just own one and play one that's it. Every time I put it around my neck and plug it in it's a thrill. Like getting behind the wheel of an M5 BMW.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 6:38 pm 

He is in the right ballpark. I sent him a message for a few better shots of the top and back. It's a Mach1 but still a very nice bass if well kept. They are good investments... I still have my Poly Black Wal Mach II and thumbslam got my Mach III. It doesn't get played much but what a one of a kind looker. I would consider selling it but it cost me too much just to get it here from Germany.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 8:41 pm 

Well I liked the bass better when he had no reserve on it. :evil: Now he's relisted at a starting price of $3000.

Everything said so far is true. The onboard preamp/EQ is second to none, IMO. I don't know why more manufacturers don't incorporate low pass filters into their onboard setups, but the result is just about the most versatile bass you can find. (I know Alembic does this as well). The only problem with it is it's sometimes difficult to find the same sound twice. Justin Chancellor of Tool has really bumped the popularity of these basses up, for better or worse. I constantly see guys asking about where they can find a Wal so they can get "The Justin" sound, and frankly, I don't think his tone is indicative of what these basses typically sound like at all. (Though I am a big Tool fan). When I think of the Wal sound, I think of Mick Karn or Percy Jones.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Mick Karn has always had great tone. I was a big Japan fan when I was a kid.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 8:25 am 

it's now posted on Arni's site.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 1:02 pm 

Here are a few pics the seller provided to me.... Nice looking bass.

Attachments:
top.jpg
top.jpg [ 116.54 KiB | Viewed 7199 times ]
bottom.jpg
bottom.jpg [ 98.83 KiB | Viewed 7199 times ]
PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 6:43 am 

andrew wrote:
Mick Karn has always had great tone. I was a big Japan fan when I was a kid.

Same here. One of my all-time favorite bassists.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 6:01 pm 

Quote:
When I think of the Wal sound, I think of Mick Karn* or Percy Jones.
Also Roxy Music's "Avalon", especially on "The Main Thing". I believe Alan Spenner on fretless Wal.

(Mick Karn - a true original - The guy with no eyebrows in a red silk suit and somewhat "moonwalking" on stage waaaay before that other guy.)

PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 1:56 am 

gravesbass wrote:
He is in the right ballpark. I sent him a message for a few better shots of the top and back. It's a Mach1 but still a very nice bass if well kept. They are good investments... I still have my Poly Black Wal Mach II and thumbslam got my Mach III. It doesn't get played much but what a one of a kind looker. I would consider selling it but it cost me too much just to get it here from Germany.

There is no such thing as a Wal 'Mach' I, II or III. There are only 'Mark' I, II and III :)
Somehow this mistake only seems to be made in the US. I wonder where it originates. I believe I once heard a rumour it was Steve Chesney who misheard Pete Stevens on the phone and thought he was talking about Mach instead of Mark.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 8:55 am 

I think your right Jeroen. There was a misinterpret somewhere and I hear both names. I heard Mark1, Mach II and Mach III but indeed it's "all" Mark Custom Series. People (including myself) get the name incorrectly. Thx for clearing that up. Steve Chesney (my first original Mk III Wal I purchased from) said it was a Mach III.