LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:25 pm

Post subject: 78 Mocha P Ebay UK
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 1:01 pm 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Fender-Pre ... 4ad7c33fe9

Post subject: Re: 78 Mocha P Ebay UK
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 4:38 pm 

I love that color! I feel like we've seen that one before... about a year ago... Anyway, too rich for my blood right now. Fun for the person that gets it.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 6:19 pm 

"the bass is well-balanced, and a good weight at about 10.5 lbs."

Yep. That's about par for the course on these '78 Fenders.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:19 am 

Wow I really love the look of that one and could imagine to buy it for about 1400£. :)

As I am not an expert concerning vintage fender basses, but still looking for an original 70's P-Bass, could anyone tell me if there's anything suspicious on the pictures of that bass? :idea:

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:23 am 

moejoe wrote:
Wow I really love the look of that one and could imagine to buy it for about 1400£. :)

As I am not an expert concerning vintage fender basses, but still looking for an original 70's P-Bass, could anyone tell me if there's anything suspicious on the pictures of that bass? :idea:

Looks legit to me. I owned 2 Mocha P'S, a 76 and a 77 both with maple necks. They weighed less than this one (both about 9/ -9 1/2 lbs) and they were tone monsters. You could contact the seller and ask the usual dating questions such as serial number, pot dates and neck stamp date to verify.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:25 am 

'priced for quick sale'. How times have changed. I remember when you couldn't give away a mocha Fender bass or guitar, even if they were lefties!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:26 am 

moejoe wrote:

The seller has 100% positive feedback on over 1300 transactions ,so that speaks well of his integrity.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 9:07 am 

Thanks for your feedback. As I could guess the serial number (the important thing is the S8 beginning followed by 5 numbers) it fits the 1977-1978 production date. :)

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 9:14 am 

moejoe wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. As I could guess the serial number (the important thing is the S8 beginning followed by 5 numbers) it fits the 1977-1978 production date. :)

Do not go by just the decal (S8xxxxx) for dating purposes. The decals were used sparingly for the lefties per order or necks sat in wherehouse waiting for order. It could be as new as very early 80's. You need to check dates on the pots and neck stamp to properly date this bass. Mocha Brown was definitely a 70's color tho. I bet its Ash, not Alder as listed.

Just a courtesy FYI :) These 70's basses sound and play so damn good and the 1 piece maple necks are great.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 12:26 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
moejoe wrote:

Do not go by just the decal (S8xxxxx) for dating purposes. The decals were used sparingly for the lefties per order or necks sat in wherehouse waiting for order. It could be as new as very early 80's. You need to check dates on the pots and neck stamp to properly date this bass. Mocha Brown was definitely a 70's color tho. I bet its Ash, not Alder as listed.

Just a courtesy FYI :) These 70's basses sound and play so damn good and the 1 piece maple necks are great.

Gotta agree with Graves, that grain definitely looks like ash. Both of mine were ash bodies.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 11:49 pm 

Thanks for your advice. I wrote an email yesterday but as the listing says the seller is away until today so I hope that he will answer tomorrow. I asked him about the pot date as jersey bluesdude suggested ;)

I've already played a 78' (?) P-Bass at Arnie's LeftyBassDay - i think in 2012 - which was great to play and even both guitar players in my band said that this was the best sounding bass they'd heard on this weekend (we went to Germany to the biggest stores so I could finally test some lefties instead of buying over the internet :) ).

And now I could finally afford one and this is also a great colour :D

PostPosted: July 4th, 2014, 3:52 am 

gravesbass wrote:
moejoe wrote:

Grave, this suggests to me that although the parts may have been assembled in the early 80's, they were manufactured in the late 70's, and therefore the bass could be considered a '78 bass... is that a correct assumption? And as for dating purposes, do you go by the build date, or the parts dates (which would seem to me to be the wrong way... )?