LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:31 am

Post subject: Trekker Louis Johnson model Ebay
PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 4:32 am 

Don't see too many of these. Check out sellers other items. All lefty.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-LOUIS-JOH ... 259098bab7

Post subject: Re: Trekker Louis Johnson model Ebay
PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 7:56 am 

Is that a short scale bass? Definitely an odd layout, with the P and J PUPs being so close together.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 8:05 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Is that a short scale bass? Definitely an odd layout, with the P and J PUPs being so close together.

I'm pretty sure Trekker's were 34" scale. They were made in Colorado and I think they were somehow affiliated with Bunker basses in Pennsy. Don't know if they're still in business.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 8:17 am 

Found this. They are now part of Bunker based in Utah.http://www.trekerguitars.com/

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 8:29 am 

WOW! Check out his other items for sale (17 other lefty's)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/vintageleftyguitars/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 8:34 am 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
Found this. They are now part of Bunker based in Utah.http://www.trekerguitars.com/

And this http://www.bunkerguitars.com/

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 9:56 am 

bobjones2260 wrote:

Call me a douche, but that "collection" looks like a pile of junk to me. . . :x Maybe the Eastwood would be the only one I'd save from the bonfire. . . :)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 11:45 am 

+1 on comment above...

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 12:36 pm 

Lefty007 wrote:
bobjones2260 wrote:

Call me a douche, but that "collection" looks like a pile of junk to me. . . :x Maybe the Eastwood would be the only one I'd save from the bonfire. . . :)

You guys know the rule. Don't like it, don't look. And certainly don't buy.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 11:11 pm 

Lefty007 wrote:
bobjones2260 wrote:

Granted, it's a low end collection, but those early Ibanez Roadstar basses are excellent.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 4:15 am 

Call me a douche, but that "collection" looks like a pile of junk to me. . . :x Maybe the Eastwood would be the only one I'd save from the bonfire. . . :)[/quote]
I wouldn't toss the American made Carvin, US Masters or Treker in the bonfire either. Certainly not before the Eastwood. What I like about his listings is there is no reserve so bidders can pretty much decide what they feel the value of each bass is to them. Some of these would be excellent starter basses and also good for less advanced players. I wish there was this much selection of lefty basses available at these prices when I was first starting out. Different strokes. And no, I won't call you a douche.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 4:30 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Lefty007 wrote:
bobjones2260 wrote:

Granted, it's a low end collection, but those early Ibanez Roadstar basses are excellent.

1980s made in japan in the same factory side by side as fender 32' scale
one of the best basses i have ever brought

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 4:37 am 

I think his collection is far more interesting than your typical pile of Fenders. I have a Lotus bass that looks just like that, except it is in much worse condition, that I got for 30 bucks. If that Hondo strat stays low I may have to purchase my first ever guitar!

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 4:41 am 

pjmuck wrote:

Louis Johnson of the funk group The Brothers Johnson was primarily known for his slap style playing, so this placement of the pickups on his signature model was most likely designed to facilitate his technique.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 5:52 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Lefty007 wrote:
bobjones2260 wrote:

Agreed. I have two of them Roadstars, plus one I'd like to restore. Oh, and one of them I bought from somebody in this thread... (who didn't even leave me feedback on Ebay)

pete

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 6:50 am 

[quote=Agreed. I have two of them Roadstars, plus one I'd like to restore. Oh, and one of them I bought from somebody in this thread... (who didn't even leave me feedback on Ebay)

pete[/quote]

Oops, Pete, didn't remember I didn't leave feedback. . . Alright, guys, don't get all defensive, you should all know that my remarks are always light-hearted. (Almost always.) I know a lot of early Japanese stuff is good, but TO ME, none of those basses in the listing were appealing, so the first thing that came to my mind was, "well, that's a pile of junk." I I have had many affordable basses, and I still have an MIJ Strat, and Indonesian Yamaha, a Korean Rogue and Koren Fender acoustic. . . I think they are junk, but I love them to death. . . ;)

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 3:19 pm 

Moses wrote:
I think his collection is far more interesting than your typical pile of Fenders. I have a Lotus bass that looks just like that, except it is in much worse condition, that I got for 30 bucks. If that Hondo strat stays low I may have to purchase my first ever guitar!

Agreed. Not your run of the mill collection, and you don't see lefty Treker or US Masters basses everyday. I have no reference for either, having never played them, but I've read that US Masters made some very good instruments. Something about the look of them always turned me off though, but one man's "pile of junk" could be another man's treasure. ;)

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 6:33 pm 

Lefty007 wrote:
[quote=Agreed. I have two of them Roadstars, plus one I'd like to restore. Oh, and one of them I bought from somebody in this thread... (who didn't even leave me feedback on Ebay)

pete

Oops, Pete, didn't remember I didn't leave feedback. . . Alright, guys, don't get all defensive, you should all know that my remarks are always light-hearted. (Almost always.) I know a lot of early Japanese stuff is good, but TO ME, none of those basses in the listing were appealing, so the first thing that came to my mind was, "well, that's a pile of junk." I I have had many affordable basses, and I still have an MIJ Strat, and Indonesian Yamaha, a Korean Rogue and Koren Fender acoustic. . . I think they are junk, but I love them to death. . . ;)[/quote]

Seriously, I wasn't being a douche... that bass I bought from you is my daily player - and I have 14 to choose from...

pete

PostPosted: June 20th, 2014, 12:39 pm 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Louis Johnson of the funk group The Brothers Johnson was primarily known for his slap style playing, so this placement of the pickups on his signature model was most likely designed to facilitate his technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLfZOGaHqpU His brother George is a lefty guitar player. There are lots of videos of his playing on Youtube. Check 'em out. They don't call him Thunder Thumbs for nothin'. His recording resume is quite impressive. Michael Jackson,Quincy Jones, Earl Klugh,George Benson and a host of others. Wikipedia has a full listing of his recording credits and collaborations. The bass line on Billie Jean is Louis. He was the bassist on the Thriller and Off the Wall sessions.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 9:38 am 

I watched this link posted earlier on another thread on the forum for G&L and see at 2:00 about how they talk about how Leo Fender would bring bass players in for their insight on Pickup Placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o36OqL-JO4