LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 7th, 2024, 12:17 am

Post subject: Few things guys
PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 4:20 am 

This is all meant contructively..

* If I have a bass posted - I own it. There is no speculation, no fishing, No I may be getting it, I OWN IT its in my posession

* Why pics are later than descriptions? Its easy, I pay a photographer by the day. I work around their schedule. Posting information generates buzz. Theres no such thing as bad press. You guys looked. Your talking about it.. ANd no, its not unprofessional - ITS CALLED making a living. MANY basses sell way before pics, I can t afford a 2 -4 week lag and ANY set of pix will be sent out on request

* The 78 being a 78 - This is real easy... I buy, tech and set up EVERY bass that walks in the door. No one else. My web updaters wouoldnt know a 78 from 58. They work off a template and what the serial is, thats the year. When the pics get posted, I personally proof every posting for accuracy and thats when things get fixed. For those of you who are uneducated in the vintage world, at least 50% of all 80 & 81 basses have 78 or 79 necks and bodies and this is accurate. If it has the old neck profile, they called 78/81s other wise theys called 81s with blah blah blah..

* Pricing - You live and deal in a local economy. OR an ebay mind set. I deal in a global economy where people who want something will gladly pay for it. These basses will all be on display at the Philly show next week. I highly ENCOURAGE you to come out and play these basses. If your not there by 11am Sat, there is a very good chance the 68 bass will be sold to a buyer who is flying in from France. Why the price point on the 68, I do not have to expalin ANYTHING to ANY of you but this is an education, not an explanation. -- Its a ONE OFF factory neck and a POSSIBLE one of 4 bass. If a righty equiv JUST Sold for 7500 and 8000 with a typical neck, why isnt a one off worth more, let alone a lefty? You need to look at the big picture. Besides I can ALWAYS lower the price

* In general - How come the good folks here who never even sent me an email, had a cup of coffee with me or shook my hand feel empowered to judge my business based on speculation and uneduucated inuendo only to be defended by those who do know me? If you have a question or a concern - ASK ME. If I made a error - TELL me. I answer every question, error correction - I've given free shipping on future purchases and sent tee shirts inside a case a beer for the help.

Theres a reason Im in our business for 40 years. Theres a reason I write for magazines.. Like I said, Im not explaining myself to ANY of you, just hoping I can provide you with information to make an informed decision and steer youoff the path of inuendo.

If any of you guy are in Philly next week, the cooler is stocked, pllease stop by. All I ask for is the same respect I give you for those of you who actually do pick up the phone or email me.

Post subject: Re: Few things guys
PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 4:56 am 

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate your taking the time to clarify things. Will try to get to the Philly show. Here's Kevin's reply to my email : Hey Pete - Few things.. The basses are at the photographer and will be posted soon. PLease tell your forum mates its common sence if the origin pots are 81 and the serial is a 78, we all know its whats called a 78/81 transition. This all gets corrected at the final proof when the pics are posted. Can you post this on my behalf..

Dear Concerned Citizen - Every expert knows basses with 78 necks and 81 pots are affectionately known as 78 / 81 transitions. These are 100% factory correct. Also If you follow my site you know when we post the pics, we do a final proof and make all changes. If you follow my business on TalkBass, Badass Bass PLayers Etc, we have a stellar reputation and we keep it that way. You have no cause to be concerned. Why are you concerned about gbase? gbase monitors and expels bad dealers. We are not on the advisory board of Vintage Guitar Magazine because people have concerns. If in the future, there is a mistake or a concern - bring it to my attention. We welcome the assistance as neither we or you are perfect.

Thanks

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 5:42 am 

Btw - Pictures are posted as of last night...

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 8:50 am 

Sorry if anything we said offended you, Kevin. This being the internet, people can be very opinionated and critical, but I don't think anyone meant to imply that your pricing or general business scheme was in any way illegitimate or unfair. People balk at the prices on vintage Fenders all the time, no matter who is selling them. I think you can understand how some might see it as exorbitant when a very nice brand new bass can be bought for so much less. But as you pointed out, plenty of other people are very happy to pay those prices, and that's fair and well supported by the market. Again, people always talk really big on the internet.

I will, however, stand by my opinion on pictures. "No pics, no bass" is not meant to literally questions whether you actually have the bass or not. But as a marketing man you should realize that if people can't see something, they're far less likely to be interested in buying it. Listing without pics is not essentially different, from the buyer's perspective (not in actual fact, of course - but that's not really what's important in marketing, is it?), from saying "We're going to have something in stock - in the future."
Also, the "final proof" happening AFTER info being made public is a BIG no-no, in my opinion.

As far as me (can't speak for others of course) not personally contacting you, I could not afford any of your merchandise in a million years, so why waste your time?

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 9:22 am 

Respectfully...
* Opins without information is baseless
* Pics after the fact = no bass... Well we sent out 3 or 4 sets of quick and dirty pix based upon the initial post. This is resulting in a LARGE collector from France flying in to look at 3 additional highend lefties and this 68. Its effective and it works
* Final proof after the pix - Its not to say we let things slide. If theres a mistake we fix it. This 78 / 81 - all the info is there, nothing is hidden. Considering we posted 55 basses at once having 1 minor item hit the net, i'd say we do a very good job.

At the end of the day, being an online based biz, we're very protective. IF we did something to someone, we derserve a massive online beating. But speculating based upon rhetoric, false opinions and baseless information is IMHO, is not acceptable. Im friends with alot of guys in here including some of your mods. I've helped them with personal instrument questions, parts, sales advice, and even sold them a few bases. There has never been a single complaint. MANY other respected forums, search us - we come up as good guys in the biz every time. So if I have my panties in a bunch, I guess when your life savings is tied up and theres some bs going on - yep, my panties may get in a bunch... ANYWAY...

My invite is there, any of you guys coming to the Philly show next week, please stop in, the cooler is stocked.. Kebo

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 10:21 am 

Kevin,
thanks for joining our little corner of the Interwebs and for taking the time to describe your policies and points of view.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 6:40 pm 

Once again, no one is accusing you of anything.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 9:45 pm 

Kevin,

We're a tight group here. We're naturally defensive because of our lefty disposition, and that simple fact means that we're super critical. We also do a great job of looking out for each other.

As an experienced business owner, I would hope that you would take our careful scrutiny of your basses as a sign that we're very serious about what we buy and how we spend our money, and not as personal attacks.

This might not be true in your case, but most shops don't even have a lefty on staff who can properly set up and play a bass to make sure it's 100%... I know you say the bass is fine, but unless a lefty can sit and play a bass, giving it a stamp of approval, some of us will remain skeptical.

So, please... when you read our comments, take that into consideration and don't take it personally.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 11th, 2014, 7:56 am 

Believe it or not Kevin is a left handed bass player. I bought his lefty refin 65 P bass when he worked at Outlaw Guitars. If I can make it to the Philly show next weekend I would be happy to test drive any lefty basses he brings to the show and report back.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2014, 8:17 am 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
Believe it or not Kevin is a left handed bass player. I bought his lefty refin 65 P bass when he worked at Outlaw Guitars. If I can make it to the Philly show next weekend I would be happy to test drive any lefty basses he brings to the show and report back.

Oh, cool... that's awesome! Very good to know.

I'm not personally in the market for any older basses especially now that Fender started doing the ADE and has opened their lefty options up.

Truth be told, I have had TERRIBLE luck with late 70's Fenders and simply can't afford anything older than that... I know some others here have found some gems, but it hasn't worked out for me. I'll stick with stuff that has warranties and return policies until I can get my hands on something and try it out for myself first. :lol:

With that said, I'm sure there are others here who would love to hear reports on this stuff and would greatly appreciate your time.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 11th, 2014, 12:58 pm 

Philly as in Pennsylvania? :o

Ampeg amplifiers

All kinds of metal

RIP Pete Steele, Keith Alexander, Cliff Burton, Chuck Schuldiner

Resident BC Rich & Alembic freak

PostPosted: June 11th, 2014, 1:18 pm 

MetalMilitia wrote:
Philly as in Pennsylvania? :o

PA Yes. Just outside of Philly. http://www.bee3vintage.com/Phily-summer.htm

PostPosted: June 11th, 2014, 1:48 pm 

I'm right in jersey, what is this show of which you speak? :o

Ampeg amplifiers

All kinds of metal

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 4:24 am 

MetalMilitia wrote:
I'm right in jersey, what is this show of which you speak? :o

Click on the link provided for some info.http://www.bee3vintage.com/Phily-summer.htm The Philly guitar show is a twice a year event open to the public where guitar dealers and some manufacturers display stringed instruments for sale. There is also a lot of trading going on as well as accessories (strings,effects etc) for sale. It's been my personal experience in the past shows not to find many lefty basses for sale . That said I know Jay from NJ Guitar and Bass in Edison NJ told me he will be bringing some lefty basses to the show and Kevin from Kebos Bassworks will also have some lefties at his booth. My friend Joe Menza who owns Best Guitars in NYC usually has a booth there as well and while he normally doesn't have any lefties he does have some really cool vintage Fenders and Gibsons on display.http://www.bestguitars.com/Best_Guitars/Welcome.html

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 5:56 am 

Hmm, i think it would be cool to stop by. If they allow us to bring a friend i may do that, in the form of my vintage bcr or my vintage aria.

;)

Who from the board is going that we know of, if i may ask?

Ampeg amplifiers

All kinds of metal

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 6:53 am 

You can carry instruments in, just check in at the door when you arrive so they can log it in. This allows you to carry it out when you exit without any problem.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2014, 7:49 am 

Now the question is which one to bring...

Ampeg amplifiers

All kinds of metal

PostPosted: June 16th, 2014, 4:01 am 

Hey guys.. Few more things..
* Yes, the cooler will be well stocked so pleas stop by at Philly.. If you've never been to a show, this is one of the best out side of Dallas

* As for being a lefty bassist and being licensed to be hyper critical, in all honesty, Im calling bull s**t. As stated, I'm a lefty. We're a minority. I'm also a minority in many other factions BUT being a minority does not allow you ANY liciense. Lets put it this way, IF I sold a bass, lefty or righty to anyone and it was bad and we didnt do the right thing or we put up "window dressing" to bring people in - you are completely within your right to call bs. We received an email asking for pictures and we provided them in 4 hours. Our site was updated in 48. So no, you are not empowered to be hyper critical bcause you're a lefty.

* Me being an active and contributing member - I actually look forward to doing so. We get in stuff that would make your HEAD explode. Did anyone see the lefty 67 Tbird in miny cond from Tom Petersson? Im sure you did.. I would have been glad to give a 5 page review just like I used to do for Premier Guitar but no one asked... Repair advice, purchase advise (even from another dealer with in reason) just ask.. Theres lotsa guys in here that do..

ANYWAY - I AM looking forward to meeting some of you guys at Philly this weekend, I take my coffee 3 sugars, 3 creamers, lol... And yes, my beer in the cooler is ice cold.. stop in for one.. Kebo

PostPosted: June 16th, 2014, 4:59 pm 

Kevin, welcome to the board, and thanks for your honesty, and clarity, regarding not only your business policy, but your equality view for all bassists, whether they be right-or-left handed. I look forward to your future, and professional, opinions when you decide to way-in on all matters pertaining to our lefty bass world. Hope you have a great show, and wish I could stop by and have a brew with ya, but Honolulu is just a bit too far to casually drop in! :D Aloha!

PostPosted: June 17th, 2014, 6:48 am 

Nahhhhh, Hawaii too far? lol... There seems to be a lot of forum bros living in the islands.... And in all seriousness, please reach out to me as a resource of info and assistance. I'd love to help out