LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 13th, 2024, 10:52 pm

Post subject: Custom shop P EBAY
PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 1:01 pm 

I remember this being listed a couple years ago. Now has a different pickguard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-S ... 258d559587

Post subject: Re: Custom shop P EBAY
PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 1:23 pm 

I see a lot of stuff on eBay by this same seller. The pics are all shot in the same place. Does anyone know if these basses are legit? There's a lot of counterfeits out there.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 3:01 pm 

cwh1 has been selling for years on fleabay, and AFAIK has a stellar reputation. I don't think he would knowingly sell a forgery. Too bad it doesn't have the cert.

Any clue what the bridge pup is? Kinda looks like it could be a Nordstrand, but the edges are more square that waht you see on the Nordstrand website.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 3:22 pm 

CarvinChuck wrote:
I see a lot of stuff on eBay by this same seller. The pics are all shot in the same place. Does anyone know if these basses are legit? There's a lot of counterfeits out there.

Yeah, the guy I bought my Rickenbacker from bought it from this eBay seller and it is definitely legitimate.

Like AzWhoFan, I recognized the picture background and angle and had a hunch it might have been him.

Who is this mystery guy, and why isn't he on this forum?

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 3:24 pm 

That's a pretty cool bass.

Slight thread hijack warning…

Where can one purchase the tuning machines with the sculpted keys like that? I have been looking everywhere for some good quality ones for my next DIY bass (yes, I'm still working on my first one), but they seem to be pretty elusive.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 5:18 pm 

I have invited Chris (cwh1) on more than one occasion to join our little corner of the Internet. He just chooses not to, and has never given me a solid reason why. and why should he? His business is doing just fine as it is.

If you ever really want one of his basses, contact him directly for a better price.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 9:47 pm 

Over time I've also recognized this sellers lawn/street, and have always been impressed by the quality of, and the number of pictures he puts up! As you can see by his feedback, after 2918 transactions, he's still batting 100%, so I don't think his reputation, or the instruments he sells, is under question at this point....

I am curious as well about the pickups, and what kind of EQ system is in this bass, and being driven as an 18-volt system - any ideas?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 11:53 pm 

Check out those saddles, tho.
Looks like that's how it's meant to be, strangely.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 6:09 am 

I also remember that bass from awhile ago, and I remember it took awhile to sell. And I also remember it was a bit overpriced back then but it sold for under $2000. The bridge pickup is from the 4-string Roscoe Beck bass. The tuners are the former Deluxe keys, but they don't make those anymore.

And the seller, yes, I've seen him selling for awhile. Nice listings for sure, but I've always found everything he has to be overpriced. Trying to make a living, I understand, but the market is soft.

Nice bass, though (minus the pickguard. . . ) but I think is worth around $1500 in that condition and with no COA.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 8:26 am 

The neck on that thing is absolutely UH-MAY-ZING. :o

WOW. :shock:

I'd refin that body in black (looks to me like it's been refinished once already with the orange peel look to it), throw a B/W/B pickguard on it and replace all the hardware with chrome and it would be a super sick bass, IMO.

That neck, though... DAMN!! :ugeek:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 11:47 am 

Addison wrote:
The neck on that thing is absolutely UH-MAY-ZING. :o

That neck, though... DAMN!! :ugeek:

a big +1, that's the first thing that drew my eyes.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2014, 9:59 am 

Addison wrote:
... refin that body ... throw a B/W/B pickguard on it ... replace all the hardware with chrome ...

Coolest maple figuring I've seen. Gotta give it that.

But the body looks pretty nasty to me. All that stuff in the routing, under the neckplate and that 'refinished' crack near the jack.. Not to mention the not-flushness of that jack and string-trough-body rings..

I would steer away from this one. For this kind of money ($3K) and with the changes needed to make it that ASS (Addison SuperSick :mrgreen:)-bass, why don't just order a new Custom Shop with this kind of neck? I'm sure they will make one again. Plus, you'll get a certificate for free! :lol:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2014, 2:31 pm 

J-meister wrote:

But the body looks pretty nasty to me. All that stuff in the routing, under the neckplate and that 'refinished' crack near the jack.. Not to mention the not-flushness of that jack and string-trough-body rings..

I would steer away from this one. For this kind of money ($3K) and with the changes needed to make it that ASS (Addison SuperSick :mrgreen:)-bass, why don't just order a new Custom Shop with this kind of neck? I'm sure they will make one again. Plus, you'll get a certificate for free! :lol:

All good advice... but, doesn't a Custom Shop Bass cost somewhere between $5000-7000 these days, and take about six months to build?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2014, 3:18 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
All good advice... but, doesn't a Custom Shop Bass cost somewhere between $5000-7000 these days, and take about six months to build?

I wouldn't know, but you're probably right. All boutiques are like that.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2014, 6:25 am 

Brett Zeppelin wrote:
That's a pretty cool bass.

Slight thread hijack warning…

Where can one purchase the tuning machines with the sculpted keys like that? I have been looking everywhere for some good quality ones for my next DIY bass (yes, I'm still working on my first one), but they seem to be pretty elusive.

Here's a set on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-4-Fender-LE ... 337ad42414