LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: FINALLY REAL LEFTY AMERICAN FENDER BASS WITH OPTIONS!!!!
PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 1:18 pm 

I see this as very positive and a nice tool in the tool box. It is all about Supply and Demand and Price Points.
$500 - Fender Mexico
$500-1000 Warmoth (many options but not a Fender)
$1100 Fender Japan (several options) or Fender US (little options)
$1500-1800 American Design Center (more options)
$1800 and up Mike Lull, Valenti ect (unlimited)
$3500 and up Fender Custom Shop

I always like how we find out about these pages right at Tax Refund time!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 1:54 pm 

wolfkeller wrote:
The options for customizing are very few. No color options for hardware, no bridge options, basic tuners, no painted headstocks or even necks, basic pick cups choices. Looks to me like they are charging big time to do what alot of guys do on their own and for way less. Fenders are cool basses but I would never pay their price for basic stuff. I buy used squires, repaint or have them repainted, buy and install the parts I want and its waaay less than a fender. Just my opinion. For what they are asking a way better bass, even a vintage fender can be had.

Were you on the same site I was on?

I saw two hardware color choices, three P pickup choices and four or five J pickup choices, two bridge choices, multiple tuner choices...

And you can barely build a decent Warmoth bass for $1500, once you add everything up... and then what's your resale on a Warmoth or a Squier if you decide you want to try something else?

It's SHIT.

You're lefties, people... you represent 1% of the guitar playing population.

You should be PUMPED that the gigantic behemoth corporate monster that Fender has become has given us such an incredibly cool way to custom design their flagship designs.

No, we don't have every choice of every tiny little goddamned thing that righties get... but, I'll tell you what.

If this experiment of theirs is a failure because a bunch of lefties out there decided not to order because they didn't get their rainbow sparkle custom finish with macassar ebony boards and abalone blocks and binding, we're certainly NEVER going to get ANYTHING we want ANY MORE, I can tell you that much.

It's too bad so sad that this is EXACTLY why we get fucked all the time... we get these cool opportunities, and it's STILL not good enough.

:roll:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 1:58 pm 

andrew wrote:
This is huge for lefties but looking at it from a righty perspective I wonder how attractive these will be when they can get so close to the custom options in regular Fender stock. My worry is the customization won't be enough to merit the price increase for righties so we'll lose this option.

Buy now indeed!

My guess is that it's too expensive for them to keep going with their myriad standard stock options and they're hoping to phase out so many choices with this one simple idea.

I think if this idea takes off, you'll see a lot of the righty choices phase out.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 2:47 pm 

Chris, ya just HAD to go and mention Maccassar ebony didn't you!!! SHEESH :lol:

Seriously tho, I wasn't in the maket for a Jazz bass until I saw this. This has really got me thinking twice!

Addison wrote:
wolfkeller wrote:
The options for customizing are very few. No color options for hardware, no bridge options, basic tuners, no painted headstocks or even necks, basic pick cups choices. Looks to me like they are charging big time to do what alot of guys do on their own and for way less. Fenders are cool basses but I would never pay their price for basic stuff. I buy used squires, repaint or have them repainted, buy and install the parts I want and its waaay less than a fender. Just my opinion. For what they are asking a way better bass, even a vintage fender can be had.

Were you on the same site I was on?

I saw two hardware color choices, three P pickup choices and four or five J pickup choices, two bridge choices, multiple tuner choices...

And you can barely build a decent Warmoth bass for $1500, once you add everything up... and then what's your resale on a Warmoth or a Squier if you decide you want to try something else?

It's SHIT.

You're lefties, people... you represent 1% of the guitar playing population.

You should be PUMPED that the gigantic behemoth corporate monster that Fender has become has given us such an incredibly cool way to custom design their flagship designs.

No, we don't have every choice of every tiny little goddamned thing that righties get... but, I'll tell you what.

If this experiment of theirs is a failure because a bunch of lefties out there decided not to order because they didn't get their rainbow sparkle custom finish with macassar ebony boards and abalone blocks and binding, we're certainly NEVER going to get ANYTHING we want ANY MORE, I can tell you that much.

It's too bad so sad that this is EXACTLY why we get fucked all the time... we get these cool opportunities, and it's STILL not good enough.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 2:58 pm 

I agree with this guy Addison up here. ^^^^^^^^^

I'd love to know how Fender decided to take this step. It's really remarkable. My best guess is that sales are tough, so they need to get on their knees and work for there money - go and get every sale out there. That what happened when they were losing on the low-budget market and revamped the whole Squier series to compete better, and now they are one of the best for the price.

BTW, since we are in this subject, before any of y'all place an order for a Jazz bass, remember I have a beautiful, truly custom Mike Lull for sale. It's really beautiful. It's not rainbow sparkle but if you squint, it looks really sparkly with the right sunlight. :D Special discount for those who know what's my favorite animal and color.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 6:44 pm 

I'm curious how they're now able to retool their production line to not only accommodate lefties but all these multiple options for righties as well.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 7:31 pm 

I had to check the date to make sure all this was not an April's fool joke...
I can't wait for the first person on this forum to get one and make everyone dead jealous.
Bad timing for me but I'll order a maple neck Jazz as soon as I can.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 12:21 am 

No fretless option. Poo!!!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 1:13 am 

J-meister wrote:

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 5:14 am 

bobjones2260 wrote:
I always like how we find out about these pages right at Tax Refund time!

Yeah, no kidding! :lol: Gibson's timing's been all wrong for me the past couple of years, so the T-Bird continues to elude me. But this will hit at just the right/wrong time. I had ear marked my tax refund for various house repairs, but I'm sure the missus will understand. ;)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 11:13 am 

Quote:

I should be pumped that I can now get what I want - a lefty oly white P with rosewood board - and pay 28% more than a righty would for theirs?

Please tell me why I should be pumped about this. Is it because Fender hasn't offered it (in the recent past) and and now they are?

Am I also obligated to buy this bass and therefore encourage Fender to keep offering opportunties? Because this is how your post reads to me.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 2:40 pm 

I am excited by what they're doing.

They haven't offered olympic white as a lefty option in 40 years... it sucks it costs more, but at least they're offering it.

But... it also makes sense that it costs more because you're getting a one-off... it's built to order. It's not produced with a thousand other basses exactly like it. When they build those 1000 righty basses all at the same time, they save lots of money and they're kind enough to pass that along to the customer. If they built a thousand lefties, it would take 30 years to sell them all.

And... don't forget.. you represent 1% (or less) of their sales. The fact that a company the size of Fender is offering it at all is a miracle... I honestly never thought I'd see the day.

You're not obligated to do anything, but I can tell you this much...

If this venture is a success, you will see many more options at more affordable prices.

If this venture is a failure, you will NEVER be able to buy your oly-white p-bass again.

I'll bet you a dollar.

:)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 2:47 pm 

Question about forum protocol. Should we post images of our creations in this thread? Or somewhere else? Some of you have already done so here and it would be fun to see what you've all created--and also what you've ordered. For now I've only created a handful of ideas. I'll post here if this is the right place to do it.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 4:10 pm 

I think this is pretty cool. I'm not much into fenders, but the prices are great for what you get.
we can at least stop bitching about not being able to get a maple fret board jazz.
or anything beyond the black\sunburst variety.
too bad it's a big fuck you to five stringers. :lol:

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

rdavidson wrote:
Question about forum protocol. Should we post images of our creations in this thread? Or somewhere else? Some of you have already done so here and it would be fun to see what you've all created--and also what you've ordered. For now I've only created a handful of ideas. I'll post here if this is the right place to do it.

You read my mind. I started a thread in the Basses section, everyone post your Fender creations in that thread.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 9:48 pm 

If I'm reading the Fender site correctly, the J necks with block inlays are only available with a "deep U" profile? If that;s the case, I may have to forego any J necks other than the standards or the '64.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 8:20 am 

pjmuck wrote:
If I'm reading the Fender site correctly, the J necks with block inlays are only available with a "deep U" profile? If that;s the case, I may have to forego any J necks other than the standards or the '64.

To that point, has anyone seen the exact dimensions for the various neck options, e.g., nut width? Radius?

PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 8:28 am 

and I'd be curious to know what the fretboard inlay material is

PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 8:31 am 

The neck radius is specified when you build the bass on the site

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2014, 9:46 am 

Matt R. wrote:
The neck radius is specified when you build the bass on the site

Ah yes, I recall seeing the radius now. Anyone know how to determine the nut width of the necks? As you all know--probably better than me--nut width can vary dramatically (it does on my three P basses). It would be great to know those sort of specifics if/when I order one. I figure I can simply call Fender to find out when I'm ready.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next