LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 9:18 am

Post subject: Green Metal Flake ASAT bass
PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 4:44 pm 

This would get you noticed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-Bass-G ... 3cd69f89c9

This listing shows the specs as the Tom Hamilton sig model, but this color isn't one of the choices, and the Hamilton model has body binding. This could just be a standard ASAT bass with a sparkly green finish and matching headstock. That would be an expensive option list either way.

Post subject: Re: Green Metal Flake ASAT bass
PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 6:14 pm 

regardless of listing:
g&l are very flexible. up to some point time they were practically a custom shop
mass producing everything while maintaining a custom shop feel and quality.
they, as opposed to most companies, aren't threatened by the lefty market.
they know what they can make lefty and what they can't. (exg: any guitar with z-hum-buckers is understandably (and unfortunately) not lefty available. I spoke of this before, some brands are lefty friendly some are not, G&l definitely are)
so what I'm basically saying is, g&l would make almost anything if you're willing to cuff up the cash. so an instrument not fitting the "website description" shouldn't worry you none.

regard-full of listing:
that being said, to my taste this bass is fugly. I wouldn't play it outside my home studio.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 10:23 pm 

I was just going to post this. I know little about these. What are the neck profiles like? The sound? This model?

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 9:18 am 

Sec-Def wrote:
that being said, to my taste this bass is fugly. I wouldn't play it outside my home studio.

Not even at a St. Paddy's Day gig? :?: :D

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 9:20 am 

bbl wrote:
Sec-Def wrote:

Not even at a St. Paddy's Day gig? :?: :D

there's always an exception :lol:

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 5:55 am 

JNasty wrote:
I was just going to post this. I know little about these. What are the neck profiles like? The sound? This model?

The ASAT'S are basically the same sonically as the G&L L2000 models with a different body style. Because of the short (or lack of) upper horn, balance and neck dive can be an issue for some. The pickups/electronics are identical to the L2000. The standard neck profile is a 12" radius and 1 1/2" at the nut. Not sure if this one is standard or not, but if ordering new G&L offers a pretty wide variety of neck options and is a very lefty friendly company and DO NOT upcharge for lefties. I've played ASAT's and for me they just are uncomfortable in the standing position. Southpaw Guitars has a really cool all white anniversary edition in stock. If I recall correctly Jimmy is asking $1299. for it.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 5:23 pm 

The neck dive with these is significant, even with strategic strap positioning. The tone is pretty unique, they are versatile. But I found the super-hot pickups and their preamps to be finicky. They do look cool, but if you really dig the tone I recommend the L2000 just to avoid the neck dive. That used price is waaaay too high.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 6:38 am 

I've said this before. but I never touched a g&l instrument without falling in love.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 4:03 pm 

McFarlin wrote:
The neck dive with these is significant, even with strategic strap positioning. The tone is pretty unique, they are versatile. But I found the super-hot pickups and their preamps to be finicky. They do look cool, but if you really dig the tone I recommend the L2000 just to avoid the neck dive. That used price is waaaay too high.

I personally never had any neck dive issues with mine, though I used a wide suede strap and also the ash body was a boat anchor to counteract the neck weight. But it was an awkward, uncomfortable bass to play for reasons others cited. The lack of an upper horn makes the first fret feel an mile away.

I second the L2000. For a more comfortable Tele-style designed bass, I recommend the Schecter Baron. For some reason, mine's very comfortable, even with a semi-hollow body.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2013, 12:03 am 

I love that finish! G&L sparkle finishes are really cool.