LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 11th, 2024, 9:51 am

Post subject: Modulus Q5 redux
PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 7:52 am 

Bassaria's old Q5 is back on the market. Original thread here: http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1832

find it on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modulus-Quantum-Q5-Bass-Guitar-LEFTY-Left-Handed-NR-/261285001344?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cd5ccb880

Post subject: Re: Modulus Q5 redux
PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 8:15 am 

Interesting. How heavy is this bass, does anyone know?

PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 2:48 pm 

Why in the fuck did he goop hot glue all over the inside of the control cavity???

:?

Uhmmmm... WOW.

:shock:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm 

Addison wrote:
Why in the fuck did he goop hot glue all over the inside of the control cavity???

Uhmmmm... WOW.

looks like someone tried to wax pot the pots.... :shock:

PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 5:04 pm 

Addison wrote:

Uhmmmm... WOW.

Done at the factory?.... and to keep things from rattling around in there? Bassaria, were the pots hot-glued when you had it? Also, seems a shame the current owner decided to drill into the body to change the strap position... still, that seems like a decent price despite the additional holes.... :)

PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 8:22 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
... still, that seems like a decent price despite the additional holes.... :)

Agreed. Where else you going to find a top notch lefty carbon graphite neck for $1200?

PostPosted: September 12th, 2013, 9:44 pm 

I own a Modulus Genesis 5 and I would probably buy this just for the neck if I actually liked the string spacing. Unfortunately, I'm probably gonna sell mine because I like narrower spacing. But DAMN does it sound amazing!! I can only imagine that the full carbon neck is even more of a tone boss. If I could get one of these at 17.5mm I'd be all over it.

Somebody buy this!!

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 7:00 am 

jayceofbass wrote:
I own a Modulus Genesis 5 and I would probably buy this just for the neck if I actually liked the string spacing. Unfortunately, I'm probably gonna sell mine because I like narrower spacing. But DAMN does it sound amazing!! I can only imagine that the full carbon neck is even more of a tone boss. If I could get one of these at 17.5mm I'd be all over it.

Somebody buy this!!

Agreed with Jay here. I have a Q5 pre-truss with the vertical Modulus logo in the headstock. Bought it on ebay (early days) and it came out of a pawn shop in Hollywood. The frets were green with tarnish ! Anyways it has what appears to be the same spacing as this one which I measured for a luthier friend at 18 mm. It's probably 19 mm. My horrendous measurement skills most likely were wrong. It's an *enormous* 35" scale neck to say the least so I'm on the fence with this one. If it were the narrower neck, I'd be all over it.

This fuchsia one might be cool for a strip and refinish in natural satin as the top looks really nice. Knowing it's a project right off the top makes it a bit less inviting.

Indeed that pre !! I don't get it either !! Regardless, upgrade it after the refinish.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 9:55 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Done at the factory?.... and to keep things from rattling around in there? Bassaria, were the pots hot-glued when you had it? Also, seems a shame the current owner decided to drill into the body to change the strap position... still, that seems like a decent price despite the additional holes.... :)

Keep things from rattling around? When would that be a problem?

I've owned dozens of basses... from $200 Korean made to $5000 boutique, and I have NEVER seen a builder or manufacturer blob hot glue over the electronics.

Anyway, he says that he did it right in the description...

"The inner active electronics are all tucked away nice and neat, and I hot glued the wires down neatly and also glued the two battery snaps together. "

What he fails to say is that he blobbed hot glue all over the pots and everything else... if you had a noisy pot and needed to spray a little DeOxit in there, fuhgetaboutit. Imagine trying to replace one if it went bad... ugh, what a mess. :roll:

Did anyone read the "official" description?

"Modulus Quantum is known for their bass guitars and Q5 with its stretchy steel strings creates an exceptional and unpredictable sound quality"

Stretchy strings?

Unpredictable sound quality?

:lol:

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh... but... I think I'll pass.

:P

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 1:03 pm 

If I remember correctly by what I might have asked back then when it was for sale here, that bass is between 9.5 and 10 lb. . . and most Q5s are. I know these basses are not supposed to need a truss rod, but man, the action looks super high in those eBay pictures. . . I'd love to try one of these guys one day, but I know there are not for me.

I once bought a new Modulus VJ, and it sounded like dead caca in comparison to my Fender Jazz Deluxe at the time. Top-notch quality and playability, though.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 2:52 pm 

Doesn't it say 9.7 lbs in the ad? I'm sure I read it there.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2013, 5:26 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
Doesn't it say 9.7 lbs in the ad? I'm sure I read it there.

Oh . . . he revised the description. It wasn't on there the first few days. . .

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 2:50 pm 

Addison wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

Keep things from rattling around? When would that be a problem?

I've owned dozens of basses... from $200 Korean made to $5000 boutique, and I have NEVER seen a builder or manufacturer blob hot glue over the electronics.
:P

I agree with you Addison, and I was clutching at the proverbial straw as to why this person felt it necessary to blob glue on the pots... we've all seen hot glue on pedal boards, but as you pointed out, never in a bass eq compartment.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2013, 8:33 am 

This will be entering my lab next week. Probably yank all the pots out and redo the entire control cavity "without glue" and fix the holes maybe even re finish. New pots and fix extra strap lock holes...I know it's got "issues" but I always wanted one of these I just wish it had the newer truss rod option..

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 1:27 am 

thumbslam wrote:
This will be entering my lab next week. Probably yank all the pots out and redo the entire control cavity "without glue" and fix the holes maybe even re finish. New pots and fix extra strap lock holes...I know it's got "issues" but I always wanted one of these I just wish it had the newer truss rod option..

Sounds like you're ready to go "full project" on this one... keep us posted with pics and updates!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 5:38 am 

It wasn't me! That bass didn't have the goop on it when I had it........
The only thing I tend to play with is the nut.....yes, that would be singular. :lol: