LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 9:19 pm

Post subject: '78 Lefty P - Walnut
PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 6:50 pm 

hard to find a 70's lefty P Walnut nicer than this one :o

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/fen ... ,i-71489/#

click the more images link under the thumbnail for some drool worthy viewing

There's a few other lefty goodies :shock: at this destination: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/bas ... /1-3,2-29/

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: '78 Lefty P - Walnut
PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 7:43 pm 

C.M.E. has tons of lefty vintage/near vintage stuff. The only problem is that his prices are astronomical!!

Does Scott Silver still own the business? I used to hang with him and Danny Lakland waaaaayy back in the good old days in chi-town. If Scott still owns the biz, don't expect much negotiating room. (Sorry Scott!!)

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 10:12 pm 

Those lefty Ps have been there for a few years already. As mentioned, for some reason they don't like to negotiate, and their prices are too high.

The brown P-bass is not walnut, it's mocha finish over ash. Still, pretty rare. I did get to play all those lefties about 3 years ago, and they were all lumber to me, very heavy and not in the best shape (bad setups). The fretless is sweet, relatively light, but they want something like $2500, and they probably raised the price already.

I have no clue how they pay rent. The store is huge, and they really have astonishing collection of vintage instruments. Even if they are ultra millionaires, it still don't understand how they stay in business.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2008, 1:31 pm 

Scott probably owns the building :-)
I know he has tons of overseas customers. At one guitar show in the early 90's, i remember he had close to a dozen Japanese collectors buying literally everything he showed them. There was a pile of about 40 cases behind them by noon, and it grew considerably larger by the end of the day.

some folks just have the touch, I guess ...

PostPosted: November 6th, 2008, 5:01 pm 

Yea, I just contacted them on the fretless P. 2500 dead on plus shipping, no negotiation. SET.... That's a lot of dough for the economy issues right now and everyone holding back on purchases. Look at the stuff on ebay even. People are having to lower their sales just to get bites.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2008, 6:52 pm 

i was in chicago last july and found my way into the cme and played the bass youre speaking of. it played amazing, but naturally the price was outrageous.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 2:42 pm 

Sounds good... I am sure it was nice. That fingerboard is great. I would love to own that but $2500 + shipping is a lot of $$$ for a 77. If it were a 72 mint, It would have been sold... probably long before I saw it. Let's see what else I can sell.....

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 6:06 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Yea, I just contacted them on the fretless P. 2500 dead on plus shipping, no negotiation. SET.... That's a lot of dough for the economy issues right now and everyone holding back on purchases. Look at the stuff on ebay even. People are having to lower their sales just to get bites.

I contacted them about 6 months ago about this bass and they quoted me $2100, which was still a little steep for me. So the price has jumped up $400 in 6 months.

What gives??? We're supposed to be in a recession, major corporations are folding or getting government bailouts, and layoffs/unemployment is on the rise, but the vintage guitar market is shooting through the roof by the day! Are people actually moving their savings out of stocks and IRAs in favor of investing in guitars? :?:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 8:52 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
gravesbass wrote:

I contacted them about 6 months ago about this bass and they quoted me $2100, which was still a little steep for me. So the price has jumped up $400 in 6 months.

What gives??? We're supposed to be in a recession, major corporations are folding or getting government bailouts, and layoffs/unemployment is on the rise, but the vintage guitar market is shooting through the roof by the day! Are people actually moving their savings out of stocks and IRAs in favor of investing in guitars? :?:

LOL, just give it 6 more months of this credit-crunch-crap and you'll see dealers dropping their prices just to stay afloat. I figure Scott's trying to cah in while he can.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2008, 10:26 pm 

I'm thinking during tax season we're gonna start seeing some amazing deals on all sorts of gear when retailers realize it might be their last chance for quite awhile to pull in some big chunks of cash.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2008, 6:47 pm 

I live 5 minutes from there, I'll have to check it out sometime. They are pricey over there.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2008, 9:18 am 

I tried to stop in on Saturday but they close 5 minutes before I got there. I'll try again when I have a chance.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2008, 9:43 am 

That fretless is beautiful, but the prices......no way!