LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 1st, 2024, 4:22 pm

Post subject: New Carvin P-Bass!
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 9:59 am 

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneckbasses.php

A lot of people have been wishing for Carvin to make a P-Bass, and well, it's finally here. I have a love-hate relationship with Carvin: I think there are affordable and have good quality, but for whatever reason I never stick with them.

You can get one of these in a long list of different color for well under $1000 with case. Now, for a USA-made instrument, that has to be a bargain. Better yet, they are lightweight and have a 1.54" nut, which is a big plus for many people.

Very tempted to order one right away. . . Now I just need to decide whether it'll be 4- or 5-string, seafoam green or surf green, white pickguard or perloid, maple, birdseye maple, rosewood, or ebony board, active, passive, dot markers, or blocks. . . . :lol: Ask that from Fender! And kudos to Carvin for offering these left-handed from the get go.

The options' list reminds me of Bubba Gump:
"You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. "

Post subject: Re: New Carvin P-Bass!
PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 10:42 am 

I'm underwhelmed, sorry to say, as I love my Carvin. The body and pickguard remind me of cheap Asian knock-offs from the 60s/70s.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 12:29 pm 

I like the 5 string P and PJ options. Not easy to find lefty. Everything Carvin offers is available lefty - gotta love that.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm 

I like the pseudo jazz ones. if they have a reversed head stock option that could be a pretty pretty bass.
but I just hate that website. it's horrible.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 12:41 pm 

AustinLeftyBass wrote:
I'm underwhelmed, sorry to say, as I love my Carvin. The body and pickguard remind me of cheap Asian knock-offs from the 60s/70s.

I agree. Not the most attractive P-bass knock off out there. The pickguard edge looks really close to the pickups, and the upper horn could be more refined. . .

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 3:40 pm 

You guys know I'm a HUGE Carvin fan, but this new body seems like a wasted effort to me. They got lucky with the SB turning out to be kinda ugly, yet cool/ distinctive... this is kinda ugly too- but nothing cool/ distinctive about it. And they already have the B40 (see pic below), which is a generic P bass clone body but a lot better looking IMO. Why not just offer P bass pickups and/or pickguards as options for it?

(BTW, not digging that pickguard shape either- hope it can be ordered without it)

Attachments:
b40-main.jpg
b40-main.jpg [ 33.31 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]