LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 4th, 2024, 4:30 am

Post subject: 1977 P Bass at Rumble Seat Music, $2800
PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 7:32 pm 

Just found this site the other day. Apologies if this has been listed before, but I missed it if so. P bass has maple board and Ash body. Mighty Purdy:

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/images/f ... sLefty.jpg

Full link to the sale can be found here (about 1/3 down the page):

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/Basses%20page.html

Post subject: Re: 1977 P Bass at Rumble Seat Music, $2800
PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:31 am 

Kinda pricey for a 77.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:44 am 

Yeah people are getting pretty bold about pricing some of these late 70s basses.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 8:56 am 

This bass has been for sale for about 3 years... I called about it way back when.

I explained that late 70's p-basses are quite common as of late, and said that I've seen them sell for anywhere from $1000 to $1800... and asked why this was priced so high.

He said that it's on consignment and the owner isn't a player... they inherited it or something... they got a hold of some price guide and want what they think it's worth... which is too much.

He also sent me a bunch of high quality pics and the neck joint on this particular specimen is pretty bad... not only does it have a really bad case of the "heel overhang" that is pretty common with this time period, but the neck joint probably has a gap close to an 1/8th" thick.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 1:15 pm 

I went to rumble music while I was in Ithaca, NY earlier this year, and I got to play it for about an hour and a half through a SVT.

The P has a sweet sound that I absolutely loved, but I told those folks the exact same thing. This is WAAYY over priced. Jimmy at Southpaw had a better deal for his similarly clean P. They told me it was a consignment from a recording guru who passed away nearby. I really thought it was in great shape, too, but the neck had a funky neck joint, but felt solid. It had reverse pots, that was a first for me, and they needed to get cleaned. The bass is really light, unlike plenty of other heavy P's from the 70's.
Rumble took care of that while I was there. They are obviously a top-notch shop.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 2:28 pm 

velalv wrote:
It had reverse pots, that was a first for me, and they needed to get cleaned. The bass is really light, unlike plenty of other heavy P's from the 70's

I had one 78 with lefty pots and they work like crap lefty <on or off vol/tone>. My latest all original '78 has volume and tone righty direction and works flawlessly. The pots were scratchy when I got it first too. Just get some good contact cleaner, shoot it in there, turn a bunch of times and most of the time it will do the trick. I use this stuff all the time.

I agree with Chris and others tho on quality control for these years.... Some are scetchy. You just got to find a good one. These later 70's with original pickup do have a tone of their own tho. More on the aggressive side. I love em. $2900 is far too much but hell, if they can get it, more power to them. Shit, ill sell mine if they get $2900.