LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 9:25 am

Post subject: Decent lefty selection
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 6:06 am 

I just bought a Modulus Genesis 5 from these guys in Colorado. I'll let you know how the transaction went when it gets here. In the meantime, they have some interesting lefty basses in stock, including, but not limited to, several Modulus basses (Moduli?), and a (get this) FRETLESS 5 string MM Bongo. Don't see many of those.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumc ... =81&Page=1

Post subject: Re: Decent lefty selection
PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 11:52 am 

leftybassatl wrote:
I just bought a Modulus Genesis 5 from these guys in Colorado. I'll let you know how the transaction went when it gets here. In the meantime, they have some interesting lefty basses in stock, including, but not limited to, several Modulus basses (Moduli?), and a (get this) FRETLESS 5 string MM Bongo. Don't see many of those.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumc ... =81&Page=1

I would be interessted in the 8 - string schecter bass. Did someone here ever play schecter basses?

Alex

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 12:33 pm 

I briefly had a fretless Shecter a few years back and was not pleased. It was the entry level thing. My understanding though is that this is one of those companies that has a very cheap entry level product but their higher end stuff is nice, a la Squire vs. Fender, etc. I can't vouch for that though- just what I've been told, presumably by people who play higher end Schecter basses ;)

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 6:36 pm 

I like Schecter's stuff. I've played most of their most recent offerings (Stiletto, Custom, etc) and I was impressed with the quality and build for the price point. The 004 is an excellent bass, IMO.

The common knock against them is their active bass preamps, however, which can sound a bit sterile. I own a Schecter semi-hollow Baron H, and while it's an excellent built bass with one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played, the active preamp is definitely too hi fi for my tastes. But swap out the preamps for an Aguilar preamp and you've got yourself a killer bass.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 5:00 pm 

I have been playing Schecter Devil Basses since 2005. I purchased 2 of them used locally and ebay. They have been discontinued like all the other good basses from manufacturers like Ibanez and Schecter. One tunes EADG and the other BEAD. They were retail $795.00 and street about $450. These are VERY well made for the price and KILLER neck thru body. They have the lower end 2 band (cut/boost) EMG Preamp and EMG-HZ pups but I ran them thru my trusty Aguilar gear (DB750 and GS412 Cab) and a Sadowsky outboard preamp and the basses came to life. I still play them live. I have the action set very low without buzz. The frets are jumbo and 35" scale. Very comfortable basses and actually sound very good. For us lefty's, if you can find one of these used on the bay, snag it. You wont be disappointed. I am unsure about the bolt on versions but the older Devil, Tribal and Demon are nice basses. You can see some pics on my link. I might put them up for

http://www.myspace.com/gravesbass

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 5:08 pm 

Whoops, typo.. Mine is the Schecter Scorpion Diamond Series Model. I just realized it';s the Diamond Series basses that were built very well and solid. They were all the neck thru models. The Stilletto bass is a cool model but it's also the bolt on model. Still a good bass for the price and if you upgrade the preamp, it's even better.