LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 2:22 am

Post subject: Does this body look a little suspect to anyone else?
PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm 

Listed as a 1983 Fender... but that burst finish and the over-spray on the pocket...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1983-Fender-Left ... 816wt_1098

Post subject: Re: Does this body look a little suspect to anyone else?
PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 3:41 am 

Looks weird indeed.

- Burst over the truss access and burst in the pocket like you said.
- Strap buttons don't seem to be original as well.
- Placement of the button on the upper horn is strange too.
- The knobs look odd. The two big volume knobs should touch / nearly touch the control plate. The small tone knob is the only one that should float above. Some MIJ / CIJ Fender instruments have big volume knobs that are smaller than American made big volume knobs. These do look like the in-between size which you'd find on some MIJ / CIJ instruments. Furthermore: during this era, most Jazz Basses had white Stratocaster-like knobs.

- The bridge looks right. From 1972-1982 they used that kind of bridge. From 1982-1985 they used the same design, but with a little more mass, but it's hard to tell from those pics. In 1983, there was also a bridge with 3-screws instead of 5 on the Jazz Bass.
- The neck plate looks right. The F-without-serial neck plate was used from 1976-1983. After that, 'Fender' was engraved instead of 'F'.
- 1983 Jazz Basses had a pickguard-and-control-plate-in-one, along with the white plastic Stratocaster-knobs and white pickup covers, but a lot of transitional instruments were made during this era, though I believe the pickups were all white, so they might not be original.

But then again, Fender did a lot of weird stuff during that era and I'm not a Fender-expert like some here are.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 5:35 am 

Musicfreak1988 wrote:
Looks weird indeed.

- Burst over the truss access and burst in the pocket like you said.
- Strap buttons don't seem to be original as well.
- Placement of the button on the upper horn is strange too.
- The knobs look odd. The two big volume knobs should touch / nearly touch the control plate. The small tone knob is the only one that should float above. Some MIJ / CIJ Fender instruments have big volume knobs that are smaller than American made big volume knobs. These do look like the in-between size which you'd find on some MIJ / CIJ instruments. Furthermore: during this era, most Jazz Basses had white Stratocaster-like knobs.

- The bridge looks right. From 1972-1982 they used that kind of bridge. From 1982-1985 they used the same design, but with a little more mass, but it's hard to tell from those pics. In 1983, there was also a bridge with 3-screws instead of 5 on the Jazz Bass.
- The neck plate looks right. The F-without-serial neck plate was used from 1976-1983. After that, 'Fender' was engraved instead of 'F'.
- 1983 Jazz Basses had a pickguard-and-control-plate-in-one, along with the white plastic Stratocaster-knobs and white pickup covers, but a lot of transitional instruments were made during this era, though I believe the pickups were all white, so they might not be original.

But then again, Fender did a lot of weird stuff during that era and I'm not a Fender-expert like some here are.

Good points there.

And lets not forget the oversize neck pickup hole. May be a japanese body with a bridge and a plate from Fender.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 8:56 am 

slybass3000 wrote:
And lets not forget the oversize neck pickup hole. May be a japanese body with a bridge and a plate from Fender.

I don't know how it was back in the '80s with Japanese Fenders, but I had a CIJ Jazz Bass around 2006, and that one didn't have an oversized pickup cavity. I no longer own it. It's the only bass I sometimes miss, but then again I'm very happy with my current collection.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 9:51 am 

Musicfreak1988 wrote:
slybass3000 wrote:

I don't know how it was back in the '80s with Japanese Fenders, but I had a CIJ Jazz Bass around 2006, and that one didn't have an oversized pickup cavity. I no longer own it. It's the only bass I sometimes miss, but then again I'm very happy with my current collection.

Well, I mean a generic copy, not exactly a japanese Fender. me bad ;-)