LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ric's are in stock
PostPosted: November 14th, 2012, 5:06 pm 

Jerry's an authorized Ric dealer now? Interesting!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 10:47 am 

Ah, Christ. I just bought the Mapleglo from Dave's. :mrgreen:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 11:08 am 

Matt R. wrote:

Atta boy! :D

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 11:14 am 

Haha. Enabler. :D

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 4:27 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
Haha. Enabler. :D

Matt, just be glad you didn't decide to shell out $4K for this one that just showed up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-4001-left-handed-bass-1976-Original-hard-shell-case-Beautiful-/321024284627?pt=Guitar&hash=item4abe89d7d3

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 4:35 pm 

Ooooh. Last Ric I owned was a '76 Jetglo. Tasty.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Matt R. wrote:

Nice!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 9:44 am 

And I'll be buying the fireglo from Dave's today... they currently have it on hold for me.

http://davesguitar.com/products/rickenb ... left-hand/

:oops:

:lol:

My first Ric... I dunno why, since like 5 of my top 10 influences played them. :?

I've always wanted one... always... but the opportunity was never really there. My first "real" bass was a Fender Jazz and from there I started getting all bougeeked-out (hey, I just made that up! :lol:) and was going for less and less "classic style" basses more frequently. By the time I got around to really trying to pursue one, I never had any dealers in my area (pre-internet), and once I finally had enough "extra" cash-flow to buy a bass that I knew probably wouldn't be my main bass, they were selling for WAY too much money because of the order backlog and then being discontinued.

Anyway, I honestly can't see myself playing it a ton... that might change... but I've just felt for at least 10 years like I should own one and now I'm glad I will. After owning several boutique basses as of late, it's easy to learn to appreciate everything I took for granted with some good ole fashioned meat-and-potato bass like a Ric.

I'm excited.

:mrgreen:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 11:09 am 
Site Admin

I have a jetglo that I rarely play but I've always mainly wanted a mapleglo. Might be time to swap.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 11:21 am 

Addison wrote:
Anyway, I honestly can't see myself playing it a ton... that might change... but I've just felt for at least 10 years like I should own one and now I'm glad I will. After owning several boutique basses as of late, it's easy to learn to appreciate everything I took for granted with some good ole fashioned meat-and-potato bass like a Ric.

I'm excited.

:mrgreen:

Congrats. Glad to see more lefties jumping on the Rick band wagon (And glad to to see Rick making them again). I bought my '79 4001 over a decade ago and also didn't give it much playing time, until I brought it to my old band reunion rehearsal a couple of years ago. Wouldn't you know it, the Rick was a perfect fit for our alternative pop style. Great low end thump that cut through the mix yet sat in with everyone else perfectly. (We tend to have a pretty dense sound with 2 guitarists/Chapman Stick/keyboards). It will be my go to bass for our future reunion gigs.

BTW, at current prices, compounded with the fact that Rickenbacker has always hand made their instruments, shouldn't a Rick technically be considered a boutique instrument?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 1:41 pm 

I dunno what you mean by hand made. They have been using CNC machines for years to make the bodies and necks. The finishing process and electronics assembly/install are still done by humans

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 1:45 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
BTW, at current prices, compounded with the fact that Rickenbacker has always hand made their instruments, shouldn't a Rick technically be considered a boutique instrument?

Maybe I should have used the phrase "coffee table bass"...? :lol:

The more I think about this bass, the more I'm looking forward to it... it will definitely get some mileage on it in the all-original blues project I'm in, but, at the very least, it will be used for whatever sort of recording projects I come up with.

Personally, I can't wait to crank it through an overdrive pedal and into my MB BB750 and PH412 rig for some Ace of Spades action.

:lol:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 1:47 pm 

\m/ \m/

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 1:49 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEuqgZzKxC4

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 2:08 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
\m/ \m/

ok, that one lost me. Translation, anyone?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 2:12 pm 

I'm throwin horns, man!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 2:16 pm 

Addison, I'll be interested in seeing how you compare the playability between the Ric and your Zon. To me that'd be like comparing a bowl of licorice to 12 gauge solid copper wire. i always found my Ric's to be on the 'mushy' side. Not that that's at bad thing at all ...

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 2:27 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
I dunno what you mean by hand made. They have been using CNC machines for years to make the bodies and necks. The finishing process and electronics assembly/install are still done by humans

Well everyone today, from our resident Rod to Alembic uses CNC technology, and we all know what an Alembic costs. I guess I should have specified "more hands on" hand work vs. complete assembly line? I dunno. How to define boutique these days? Does it come down to more wood choices via custom requests? If so, even with Rick's wood limitations and model choices you can still order the odd custom instrument (double necks, 8 strings) IF you're willing to pay. That seems to be true of everyone though too.

BTW, what the heck is that Rick bass model at the 3:43 mark in the YouTube link? (white with red pickguard hanging on wall).

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 3:54 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Addison, I'll be interested in seeing how you compare the playability between the Ric and your Zon. To me that'd be like comparing a bowl of licorice to 12 gauge solid copper wire. i always found my Ric's to be on the 'mushy' side. Not that that's at bad thing at all ...

Cool... mushy is a good thing? :lol:

Just kidding... I think I know what you mean. ;)

Anyway, I have other wood necked basses... '99 Hot Rod P-Bass, CS Fender Jazz, G&L L2500... so I'll probably be comparing it to those in feel before I would go after the direct comparison between the ZONs I have... I'll definitely let you know.

pjmuck wrote:
Well everyone today, from our resident Rod to Alembic uses CNC technology, and we all know what an Alembic costs.

Believe it or not, ZON does not use any CNC machines on their USA stuff.... the bodies are all hand-carved and shaped and the necks come out of the molds in a very rough manner (you'd be surprised at how far away from a finished product they actually are), so they're all hand shaped as well. I had no idea the process was so "hands-on" until I went to the shop... it's way more of an in-depth and intensive process than I ever would have guessed before.

pjmuck wrote:
BTW, what the heck is that Rick bass model at the 3:43 mark in the YouTube link? (white with red pickguard hanging on wall).

Yeah... WTF? :?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 4:51 pm 

andrew wrote:
I have a jetglo that I rarely play but I've always mainly wanted a mapleglo. Might be time to swap.

Ha, I would love to swap! Love the Jetglo, but my Mapleglo 4001 sounds so good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next