PostPosted: December 5th, 2012, 11:33 am 

^^Good. Look forward to hearing about it

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Ric's are in stock
PostPosted: December 5th, 2012, 3:07 pm 

iozz wrote:
What about this one? What do you think?
It's the same price than a new Ric in France...

Seems like a fair price, and except for the large filled-in holes in the back, it looks nice. I wonder what the two large filled-in holes were for? Anyone have a clue as to what they could have been for?

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 8:54 am 

andrew wrote:
gravesbass wrote:
I have seen many rick's and owned 1 that was built in 89' in the past. In my opinion, they all have some sort of issue. Some worse, some less. As much as I would love to own another because the tone is to die for... I wont buy one ESPECIALLY a newer one. I have a right 1992 in my possession right now. It's good, but it ain't perfect either. My past Rick had a hump in the neck too. Rick's are notoriously known for having to raise the action. If your looking for ultra low action, these are not the bass for it. Not saying "all" cannot be setup ultra low but most people I have talked to that own them say raise the setup a little. My 2 cents.

My experience is otherwise. I've owned 3 Rickenbacker 4003's and of the three my newest one is the nicest and the one I kept (it's from a couple years ago). Action came from factory low and I've never had a reason to change it (and this is coming from someone typically into higher action).

I would love to see and play one of the newer ones if the setup can be low. I know a lot more now of setup and overall build quality. I love the tone of the Rick's. Ot was my first real bass back in 88' (typo above) and got gigged a lot. A stock Rick is the $$$

Glad they are producing them again and hope to get one at some point again..... But my arsenal is maxed again. Too many Spectors! ;)

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 4:02 am 

IMO the neck "problems" are related to the fact that the nut is cut too high.

My 2008 4003 had he same problem, but you could easily get rid of by lowering a bit the holes in the nut. Without doing this it's almost impossible to have a very low action with straight neck (as suggested by owner manual).

Maybe this is due to the fact that in lefty production, they had to do manually some tasks done by machine in the right version.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 12:37 pm 

cangaroo wrote:

I wish that had been the case with mine. It was among the problems though.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 8:28 am 

cangaroo wrote:

My 2008 4003 had he same problem, but you could easily get rid of by lowering a bit the holes in the nut. Without doing this it's almost impossible to have a very low action with straight neck (as suggested by owner manual).

Maybe this is due to the fact that in lefty production, they had to do manually some tasks done by machine in the right version.

Just my 2 cents

As Matt said, that was only a part of my problem... the bass I purchased had several issues that were fairly easy to fix, poorly cut nut being one of them.

However, a neck that has a forward bow on the bass side and a back bow on the treble side and a ski jump past the 12th fret, well... that has nothing to do with the nut.

Pardon my far-reaching insurance analogy here, but, to me, I think that the factory knows about these "dud" basses... but if they can save a few bucks by applying some old fashioned "risk assessment" to each bass that comes of the line, then they're happy.

Fret guy goes to his supervisor and says, "Hey boss... this fingerboard has a hump in it."

Boss takes a look and thinks, "Well, that hump is pretty bad, but not bad enough to go backwards in production to have the fingerboard re-planed. We'll save $XXX.XX dollars if we try to hide it with a decent fret job, and the odds that whoever buys this bass will never notice the hump are in our favor."

Bass gets fretted, finished and goes out the door... and the number of basses that come back for warranty work are FAR LESS than the number of basses that left the factory that needed work in the first place. That saves them A LOT of money.

I mentioned this to Matt in our conversations, but I'll repeat it to you guys... there was a guy on another forum who was complaining about the cost of Sadowsky basses... he was saying that all they are is an overpriced Fender.

Roger Sadowsky chimed in and said that the difference between his basses and other less expensive basses that look the same is that every single step of his manufacturing and QC process is under incredible scrutiny, and he expects near-perfection in every single part of the process. Where some companies might have neck joints with huge gaps and unlevel fingerboards... imperfections that are covered up with a decent fret job and OK setup... his neck joints are tight with no gaps, his fingerboards nearly-perfectly level and his fret jobs are immaculate... every single step of his manufacturing process is given full attention to detail and every single tiny part of every one of his basses gets all the attention it needs to make a great bass. THAT'S what you're paying for.

For me, I'd much rather pay more for a bass I know has received that kind of attention and treatment than paying less for one and just "making it work."

If Ric is all backed up on orders and manufacturing and QC is suffering because of it, then they should raise their prices in order to maintain the quality people expect when they purchase one of their basses.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 8:48 am 

Couldn't agree more. Well, my bass is in RIC's hands now. Waiting to hear what happens.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 9:45 am 

I wanted to update this thread...

Bryan Butler from Dave's contacted me through a TalkBass PM because of a post I made in a thread over there discussing some Ric QC issues that people are having.

He's the bass guy there and was away on "new baby leave" when I had my bad experience.

He apologized on behalf of Dave's, and it was very much appreciated.

If anyone decides to purchase there, I'd definitely ask for him... he seems like he'll take care of you.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 10:13 am 

I received the same email. He did ask if there was anyway he could help. I politely suggested 2 options that were beyond fair, and he said he would discuss it with Dave. We shall see.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 10:29 pm 

Addison wrote:
cangaroo wrote:
Roger Sadowsky chimed in and said that the difference between his basses and other less expensive basses that look the same is that every single step of his manufacturing and QC process is under incredible scrutiny, and he expects near-perfection in every single part of the process. Where some companies might have neck joints with huge gaps and unlevel fingerboards... imperfections that are covered up with a decent fret job and OK setup... his neck joints are tight with no gaps, his fingerboards nearly-perfectly level and his fret jobs are immaculate... every single step of his manufacturing process is given full attention to detail and every single tiny part of every one of his basses gets all the attention it needs to make a great bass. THAT'S what you're paying for.

My thoughts exactly. That's why Sadowsky for example has such a stellar reputation; he's earned it, and the prices he charges, for delivering basses that are made to exacting standards. It seems there are a fair amount of name-brand guitar manufacturers these days charging high prices, and yet the guitars/basses have to go to the nearest tech to tweak them, even after going through a questionable QC process.

We as buyers of expensive and sought-after instruments shouldn't have to tweak them at all, and shouldn't have to be victims of a conveyor-belt mentality/philosophy where instruments get repaired later ( as per Addison's analogy), if at all, depending on the buyer's assessment of the hassle involved in contacting the music store/builder and going through what might be a lengthy process of correcting built-in faults.

Matt and Addison, and anyone else for that matter who has bought or wants to buy one of these basses; I admire your determination to see this through, and finally get the bass you thought you were buying in the first place. No company these days can afford to put out inferior products, and alienate its customers. And I hope Rickenbacker takes care of you both in a quick and professional manner.... that's the right thing to do. That's the kind of action that builds even more loyalty.... good luck to you both!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2013, 10:44 am 

I wanted to add an update this thread really quick... my last posts in this thread were descriptions of my disappointment in my very first Ric purchase, and I'm happy to say that this update is one of pure happiness.

First, the dealer:

Based on a few recommendations from a few people on TalkBass, I contacted Wildwood Guitars to ask them about their lefty Rics in stock. I'm glad I listened, because they were amazing... Bruce and Steve asked me to look at their stock and pick which ones I liked best as far as looks go, and then they and their techs went through each of them to make comparisons and sent me very detailed emails on the differences and commented on which bass they thought was the best "all-around."

They literally went out of their way in a fashion that I have never seen to make sure I got a great bass... and both Bruce and Steve were pleasant and seemed like they really enjoyed the entire process. It was simply one of the best buying experiences I have ever had with any purchase, and these guys will surely be at the top of my list when I'm ready to spend more money.

Oh, and their price was the best I found at $1850 shipped. 8-)

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/

Highly recommended.

The bass:

I originally wanted a fireglo and this is a mapleglo, but honestly... it doesn't matter, because the difference between this bass and the last one I bought comes down to these three simple words: NIGHT AND DAY.

I got a great bass... it's an amazing bass. And as far as Rics go, this is my first and I can finally say that "I get it". It plays, sounds, and feels like no other bass I own, and I am constantly drawn to it. It's all I've been playing at home and I'm very excited about the possibilities.

There are a couple of very minor quirky cosmetic flaws, but the fretwork, neck, and nut were all PERFECT. It sets up and plays BETTER than my $4500 custom shop Fender Jazz.

So, to those who had bad luck like I did... if you can, be patient. Find a dealer who is willing to work with you, or, better yet, get your hands on one BEFORE you buy.

It's definitely too bad that Ric's builds and QC are so ridiculously inconsistent, because when these basses are done right, they're amazing. It's unfortunate that some of us have had to go through so much trouble to try to find one that lives up to the legacy of the name on the headstock.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2013, 10:54 am 

But.. But....you got a coffee mug for a parting gift from the other guys! That's good right? :lol:

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 1:06 am 

I've been in contact with Wildwood Guitars in the past for a few instruments, and I've also contacted them regarding their lefty Rics. I confirm they really are professionnal.
They've ordered another bunch of 4003, but they don't know when they'll get them. I don't know if I wait for a Fireglo, or order a Maplego that is in stock right now...

Do you guys know about this store, Music Store Live? They have some Fireglo 4003, but pretty expensive...

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 8:33 am 

Well, since Wildwood's 4003 are almost $1000 USD less expensive than what was in that link you posted, I'd probably just go with Wildwood.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 8:46 am 

Addison wrote:
Well, since Wildwood's 4003 are almost $1000 USD less expensive than what was in that link you posted, I'd probably just go with Wildwood.

;)
I was thinking about proposing the same price as Wildwood, and see what happens...