LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:14 pm

Post subject: Michael Kelly DF5FL
PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 4:07 pm 

Hey guys,

I just found this acoustic bass at GC in Nashville for 250 :o They promise it's in good condition! Ordering it as I type this.

Awesomeness! I've wanted one of these for awhile.

Post subject: Re: Michael Kelly DF5FL
PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 8:10 pm 

Good luck with that..... NEVER trust a G.C. salesman's word and condition when purchasing a used instrument from them. My 2 cents of experience but $250 is a great deal if all is good. Make sure the neck can get straight on it too. QC on the older Kelly basses blew.

Again, fair price tho.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 12:59 am 

Is that a fretless? Looks nice, an I'm with gravesbass... the one I owned - before it was stolen - sounded fine, but the neck wasn't as stiff as I would have liked. Still, It played fine after I had maxed-out the truss rod, and the top was a beautiful piece of Maple, and got lots of compliments.... especially from the women in the audience! 8-)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 1:10 am 

Cool basses, I love the fretted version, but I would never buy a fretless with that much fingerboard inlay. Notes fingered on bare wood will sound different (darker, warmer) than notes fingered on the inlay (more zingy and snappy). I don't understand why companies even offer fretless basses with anything more than tiny dots or just fretlines.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 5:59 am 

Yea I hope it checks out. He did tell me that there's a 30 day return policy if something is wrong with it, and that I could return it to my local GC (don't have to send it back to his).

I will probably throw some nylon strings on it to make it sound more uprighty, i'll have to do some research. Also, after playing fretless, I don't think I can go back to fretted :/

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 10:17 am 

Yup, they do offer the return policy at your local GC and if there is damage, you can work em for some money back and just full refund inc shipping. Nylon stri GS have higher tension. I hope that neck can handle it. Just be careful with that truss rod... ;)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 2:21 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Yup, they do offer the return policy at your local GC and if there is damage, you can work em for some money back and just full refund inc shipping. Nylon stri GS have higher tension. I hope that neck can handle it. Just be careful with that truss rod... ;)

That's why I mentioned in my post about the lack of stiffness in the neck. But, it could have been that series, or run of basses. I could take the neck and flex it back-and-forth far more than I thought it should go, even after adjusting the truss rod as far as I dared... be careful what strings you use; you want a set that's going to be close to the original bronzes to be safe.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 2:46 pm 

ooo I did not know that.

That's why I post such things here! :)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 3:38 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
gravesbass wrote:

That's why I mentioned in my post about the lack of stiffness in the neck. But, it could have been that series, or run of basses. I could take the neck and flex it back-and-forth far more than I thought it should go, even after adjusting the truss rod as far as I dared... be careful what strings you use; you want a set that's going to be close to the original bronzes to be safe.

Yep fivebass52. I think the worse ones are the older 1st, 2nd generations of these basses. I have seen a LOT of them and the fretwork on the older ones were HORRIBLE. I am not going to get into my horror stories with them (owned 4) but always liked the fretless. If the neck is straight, it can be setup well. I also agree, use some "Phosphor" DR or D'Addario strings closest to light tension. You will have less neck issues later. Also make sure the binding is in tact and no cracking....

@ blankrider.. Not trying to scare you away from them, but merely leaving a note here to look out for issues while you still have the 30 days return policy... That's all. :)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 4:39 pm 

A guy was selling one in SF for awhile, I tried it. It sound nice but hell it has a huge body!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 4:45 pm 

I've owned a couple of these. Play, look and sound great. But don't count on getting an upright-like sound. It's difficult at best to do that. But enjoy it. I think you'll be happy with it. 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 4:29 am 

It arrived yesterday and it's sweet :!: The neck looks good on it, in fact everything looks good. I don't see any wear on the fingerboard, no scratches or dings, nothing.

Looks to be a good buy on my end

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2012, 8:52 am 

Congrats!! Looks like a nice bass.