LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 11th, 2024, 8:34 pm

Post subject: Re: OOOoohh FBass I'm in Love!
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 2:37 pm 

bbl wrote:
Jeroen wrote:
Addison wrote:
Mike Lull adds a "string through" ferrule for only the B string because he believes it makes a difference...

Doesn't that have more to do with creating more 'downforce' on the bridge saddle by guiding the string over the saddle in a sharper angle to enhance transfer of vibrations to the body? I believe it doesn't change a thing about the string tension from bridge to nut, but it's done because the output of the B string is naturally slightly weaker than the other strings.

That's my understanding. A sharper breakpoint angle and therefore more sustain. But increased tension? No.

Thinking from a purely physical standpoint, having a string-through bridge installation would mean the bridge is indeed "pinned" to the body, compared to a standard bridge that is constantly resisting being pulled off the body by the strings. Does that effect tone to a noticeable degree? Apparently not, otherwise every bass built these days would be built with string-through ferrules... Although a lot of basses these days seem to be built with ferrules as an option.... :?:

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 3:51 pm 

I notice more tension in some threads about B strings than others. I guess it depends on the length of the thread and the B in the B-Hole!

I know I’m an idiot I just thought it was funny. :P

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 4:07 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
The bass has a bid on it. BIN is gone. Hope someone here gets it.

I hope so, too.

I really don't want to be a B-Hole :D and drag out the debate, so I'll just post a great article I found about string tension:

http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

"The tension of the string of a stringed musical instrument is defined completely by the pitch the string is tuned to, its vibrating length, and its mass (weight) per unit of length. This is a matter of basic physics. But there are all sorts of other quantities and qualities that are said to affect string tension. They do not, but (and this is a big but) some of these may indeed affect the compliance of the string, and this will affect how tight the string feels to the player."

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 4:19 pm 

Quote:
String thru body just adds more tension on the strings.

As mentioned above it is only "perceived tension" because the string is being pulled downward. It's physics Gravesbass, it's physics...

Personally I really feel and believe I hear the difference between string-trough body vs string through bridge BUT most likely an outsider can not hear the difference and it is all in my head.

Last edited by Frenchy-Lefty on April 25th, 2012, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 5:44 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
I am gonna disagree with you bbl. Added scale length "will" increase string tension (34" to 35"). I think Addison will also back this one up. I also noticed slight more string tension running the strings thru the body as well. Everything here on scale length is subject to personal ears and the builder doing things for a reason. If something is designed for an extended B, there is a reason for it. The bass has a bid on it. BIN is gone. Hope someone here gets it.

I'm with you that scale length (the distance between the nut and the saddle) will affect tension when all other variables remain the same (string guage and tuning), but I don't believe that anything you do AFTER the nut or the saddle (extending the string to a more distant winding post or running strings through the body) have any tangible effect on string tension (or sound, for that matter) at all.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4