LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 12th, 2024, 12:52 am

Post subject: Maple Glow Rickenbacker
PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 4:42 am 

I was in Sam Ash New York (48th Street) yesterday and saw a very nice Lefty Mapleglo Rickenbacker 400* with white binding, I was with my kids so I did not have much time to check it out but it looks very nice (I have two Rick's already and one is Maple Glo). The price tag had $2499, but I delt with them before and they are really good (depending on the salesperson) and most likely could some money off.

I was unable to find the bass on their web site but wanted to share if anyone is interested give them a call they are great to work with over the phone. Sorry I was unable to find out the year or Model

Post subject: Re: Maple Glow Rickenbacker
PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 6:14 pm 

Thanks for posting this. I am going to NYC in a week. I will definitely be dropping by to check this out.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 8:27 am 

...and it's gone.... It was a 79 4001 going for 2500.
In the lefty dept they only have a couple of cheap ibanez and an mtd right now
Rudy accross the street only has an american precision... 48th st is not a worthy destination for us lefties.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 2:30 pm 

I bought my 73 Jazz bass from Rudy's about 7 years ago. They gave me a great price on it and threw in a Levi"s gig bag. I've gotten a few basses from them in the past. They're not stocked well when it comes to lefties (who really is?) but once in awhile they get something really cool in and price it to move. I've seen Jazz basses that were not as old as mine or in nearly as good condition, go for 3 times the amount that I paid for my 73.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 3:00 pm 

If you're popping into NY I recommend you stop by 30th St. Guitars. They often have lefties that don't show up on their website. (Once spotted not 1, but 2 '78 lefty Js there at the same time).

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 3:52 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
If you're popping into NY I recommend you stop by 30th St. Guitars. They often have lefties that don't show up on their website. (Once spotted not 1, but 2 '78 lefty Js there at the same time).

I actually stopped by 30th st today and the place next door as well (rogue?). Not one lefty bass in sight.
Umanov is the only one who has a consistent lefty section, even if stocked by your usual suspects (fender p and j, musicman)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 7:54 am 

pjmuck wrote:

I might have been there at the same time. It was the year 2000 or 2001. They had the 2 '78s, both black and the usual backbreaking weight. I didn't even bother to plug them in after I picked them up - too heavy for me. On the other side of the room was a 93 black custom shop Jazz, which neither the sales guy or me noticed; my friend did. It was the lightest solidbody I'd ever played so I bought it. In fact I traded in my 89 Japanese Jazz to offset the cost so there were still three lefties there when I left. :lol:

BTW the custom shop jazz turned out to be a total lemon - go figure :roll:

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 8:23 am 

More NYC reports: stopped by Umanov guitars today. They had two american Js, two american Ps and a MM SR4, as well as a good selection of guitars.
Fenders are 100 off listed price.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 10:17 am 

belinmad wrote:
More NYC reports: stopped by Umanov guitars today. They had two american Js, two american Ps and a MM SR4, as well as a good selection of guitars.
Fenders are 100 off listed price.

Thanks for the report. I might check them out. Was just in NYC yesterday, and will be in NYC from Monday through Wednesday.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 11:49 am 

velalv wrote:
Thanks for the report. I might check them out. Was just in NYC yesterday, and will be in NYC from Monday through Wednesday.

Cool! let us know what you find!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 9:00 pm 

Agent00Soul wrote:
I might have been there at the same time. It was the year 2000 or 2001. They had the 2 '78s, both black and the usual backbreaking weight. I didn't even bother to plug them in after I picked them up - too heavy for me. On the other side of the room was a 93 black custom shop Jazz, which neither the sales guy or me noticed; my friend did. It was the lightest solidbody I'd ever played so I bought it. In fact I traded in my 89 Japanese Jazz to offset the cost so there were still three lefties there when I left. :lol:

BTW the custom shop jazz turned out to be a total lemon - go figure :roll:

Yes, that's exactly right. 2 black 70's Js. Geez, was that over a decade ago already?! I tried both and the one thing unusual about them was that one had a vastly different neck profile than the other. One was a standard J profile, but the other had a beefy U profile or something and really filled up your palm.