LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 22nd, 2024, 4:39 am

Post subject: Ken Smith 6 -
PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 9:50 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-Ken-Smith-6-String-Bass-Custom-LEDS-MINT-Condition-/110822270694?pt=Guitar&hash=item19cd85a6e6#ht_582wt_1177

It must look cool on stage!

Post subject: Re: Ken Smith 6 -
PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm 

What's that little switch with the red/green dots do, change the lights from red to green? ;)

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 4:16 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
What's that little switch with the red/green dots do, change the lights from red to green? ;)

You're right... the last two pictures show the LED's going from red to green.... very cool!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 5:36 pm 

yeah, nice bass, but it's a bolt-on. The neck thru Smiths sound have a much more organic tone.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 9:57 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
yeah, nice bass, but it's a bolt-on. The neck thru Smiths sound have a much more organic tone.

Hey, I resemble that remark! My Smith's a CR4 BO (Chuck Rainey model) and I love it. One of the fastest, most comfortable necks I've eve played. It's one of my main basses now. Haven't done an A/B comparison, but I felt that the Warwick Thumb BO was too sterile comparatively to the NT, but it definitely had more punch too. My only issue with Smiths in general is that they all seem to take on a dull, muddy tonal character when strings get older on them. They really shine with a fresh set of SS rounds.

I was actually joking about the red/green switch. Funny that that's exactly what it does. :lol:

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 11:39 pm 

pjmuck wrote:

I was actually joking about the red/green switch. Funny that that's exactly what it does. :lol:

to be totally cool, they should have installed green-red LED's on either side of the switch.... THAT would have been top shelf!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 11:28 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark! My Smith's a CR4 BO (Chuck Rainey model) and I love it. One of the fastest, most comfortable necks I've eve played. It's one of my main basses now. Haven't done an A/B comparison, but I felt that the Warwick Thumb BO was too sterile comparatively to the NT, but it definitely had more punch too. My only issue with Smiths in general is that they all seem to take on a dull, muddy tonal character when strings get older on them. They really shine with a fresh set of SS rounds.

PJ, I am most certainly not trying to slam your Smith despite the fact that you bought it less than one hour before I decided I was going to buy it. It's one beautiful bass, you ought to post a pic of it sometime.

The Smith B/O vs NT argument has been discussed to death on TB and I never really bought into it until I got to compare my NT to another locally owned righty B/O. Then ..... I wuz converted!

And you are 100% correct in that they sound relatively lifeless without fresh strings on them. And at $30+ a pop for a new set of 5 strings, mine tend to get boiled more often than I'd like to let on.

Sorry for the hijack folks ... we now return to our regularly scheduled thread ....