LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:25 am

Post subject: 1983 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 4 string on Arni's site
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 12:18 am 

A gentleman in Boston, apparently, has this rare beast. This is probably from the Spector vs Warwick law suit period. Note the shape of the headstock. Cherry body wings, wenge laminate neck through. While he has no price listed on Arni's site, he told me in an email that he's entertaining offers around $3000.

Cool bass and very rare. You guys know how much I love Streamer Stage 1's but if I had $3000 I'd be ordering an F Bass. :-)

Attachments:
IMG_20111128_123549.jpg
IMG_20111128_123549.jpg [ 197.38 KiB | Viewed 12481 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1983 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 4 string on Arni's site
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:38 am 

Interesting update. I emailed Josh (owner of this bass) to see if he had come down a bit from 3k, he told me:
- The highest offer he's had is around 5k
- He's expecting to get 7k.

At that price range (if anyone ends up paying as much) this is probably more of a collector's item, although I'm not sure I see why that's the case. You could get at least 2 very high-end builders basses for that money.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 11:40 am 

belinmad wrote:
- The highest offer he's had is around 5k
- He's expecting to get 7k.

Ehhhhh... ?

:?

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 6:36 pm 

Pardon me for being a bit dense but I don't see the collectability of a 1983 Warwick Streamer Stage 1. I would see more value in a brand new one with a AAAAA maple body in a honey violin finish. Which would be similar in price and would look and sound better. IMHO.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 7:34 pm 

markcv wrote:
Pardon me for being a bit dense but I don't see the collectability of a 1983 Warwick Streamer Stage 1. I would see more value in a brand new one with a AAAAA maple body in a honey violin finish. Which would be similar in price and would look and sound better. IMHO.

Couldn't agree more.
FWIW, this is what the owner had to say about it as way of explanation: "I have received offers for this bass. The highest offer is $5k and I am looking for $7k. I'm a professional musician so my assets are everything and I'm not into making deals, I might go down a little on the price if it can happen sooner rather than later, but not much. Also, some people have contacted me thinking this is just an old Warwick priced like a 1990's Streamer. This is arguably the oldest left handed Warwick in the entire world, and it is priced as such, just like when I purchased it from a collector in Canada."

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 10:51 pm 

I would bet that is one of the first left handed Warwicks ever made. Note all Warwicks at this period were made only by hand and Hans himself was the one of the main builders. It is a law suit model for sure and rare indeed. Looks to be in good condition for its age but you never know the removable truss rods used back then were not the best and if he is expecting to sell it for what he thinks it’s worth there better be much better pictures and disclosure of everything.

I am a self admitted Warwick freak but 7K seems high. I think he should have been happy with the 5K but that’s just my opinion. Value is perception for sure. :roll:

Now this in a lefty maybe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320801944199?ss ... 1423.l2648

Last edited by thumbslam on December 14th, 2011, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 10:58 pm 

7k????? that's it..... if this is worth 7k, I am selling my 87' Thumb NT5 Fretless for top dollar. It is one of the first 5 strings built and the first year they were produced by Warwick. The owner even had his hands on it in the factory and it's one of the 100% hand made models. This economy, that 4 banger would be lucky to get 5k rare or not.... Its a nice bass for sure tho

Just my observation in the last year on lefty sales.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 7:53 am 

Lawsuit model? Please explain.

thumbslam wrote:
I would bet that is one of the first left handed Warwicks ever made. Note all Warwicks at this period were made only by hand and Hans himself was the one of the main builders. It is a law suit model for sure and rare indeed. Looks to be in good condition for its age but you never know the removable truss rods used back then were not the best and if he is expecting to sell it for what he thinks it’s worth there better be much better pictures and disclosure of everything.

I am a self admitted Warwick freak but 7K seems high. I think he should have been happy with the 5K but that’s just my opinion. Value is perception for sure. :roll:

Now this in a lefty maybe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320801944199?ss ... 1423.l2648

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 8:31 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamer_Bass

Scroll down a little and read the "Design similarity to Spector NS Basses" section.

Anyway, last night I did a little digging on Streamers from this period, and I found this post on the Warwick message board.

http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-bass ... -bass.html

In it, an employee from Warwick (maybe Hans himself?) tells a guy "don`t sale it, it will get more and more value.. currently I would say 3 to 5.000 Euro for collectors."

So... I'm just speculating, but this seller might be using information like this to value his bass.

But... as most of us know... shit is only worth what it'll sell for, and I simply don't think that bass would sell for $7,000. MAYBE $5,000... but I have a REALLY hard time believing that could possibly happen in this market. I just can't see it.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 9:34 am 

Addison wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

But... as most of us know... shit is only worth what it'll sell for, and I simply don't think that bass would sell for $7,000. MAYBE $5,000... but I have a REALLY hard time believing that could possibly happen in this market. I just can't see it.

And for that kind of money you can get a new US-made custom NS-2 or NS-4 from Stuart Spector ... I just don't see it

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 11:00 am 

belinmad wrote:
Addison wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

And for that kind of money you can get a new US-made custom NS-2 or NS-4 from Stuart Spector ... I just don't see it

Spector USA doesn't and won't make a lefty....Only Euro for us but I'm sure everyone here knows that

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 8:51 pm 

thumbslam wrote:
Spector USA doesn't and won't make a lefty....Only Euro for us but I'm sure everyone here knows that

Really? that's annoying (not like I was going to buy one tomorrow, but there's always hoping)! Not even if you beg and lie, steal and cheat? I love my Euro Spector, I always thought I would eventually buy a US one. Oh well...

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 8:03 am 

Addison, thanks!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Is it possible the seller is lying about the offers to make what he has seem more valuable? $7000 seems crazy to me, as does $5000.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 7:05 pm 

No USA Spector's.. Trust me, I am been working it a long time trying to get one. Maybe next month at NAMM something might be announced. We will see.

On Addision's thread, it's only what a buyer is willing to pay these days. It might be a collector but again, its lefty. The value usually will be less in the future but who knows. I have several emails from Hans and Florin (Warwick Admin) on my '87 Thumb NT5 being a rare breed and 1 of the first built. Hans worked in production then. It's all handmade except for the drilled tuner holes and routers. Rare breed and collector. Is it worth 5-7k? Depends on how bad you want it. I'll gladly take $2500 ;)

Thx Addison for posting those links.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 8:46 am 

andrew wrote:
Is it possible the seller is lying about the offers to make what he has seem more valuable? $7000 seems crazy to me, as does $5000.

I agree with Andrew, both $7000 AND $5000 seem crazy. It doesn't even have a real Warwick 2 piece bridge, it has a Schaller.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 4:25 pm 

markcv wrote:
andrew wrote:

I agree with Andrew, both $7000 AND $5000 seem crazy. It doesn't even have a real Warwick 2 piece bridge, it has a Schaller.

The new Robert Trujillo model only has a one piece Schaller bridge and lists for $13,699 for the cheeper one..so like $8,000 street and guess what they will sell...not to me but they will. :D

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 2:12 am 

markcv wrote:
andrew wrote:

That bridge is authentic though :)
The Streamer was introduced in 1982 with the Spector headstock and Schaller roller bridge. The headstock design was changed in 1985, and the bridge in 1988.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 1:03 pm 

Found this thread accidentally when I was looking up info on older Warwicks, this bass has been with me for about 6 months now!
This bass is so old it doesn't even have a serial number.
Image Image

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 6:03 pm 

paulo wrote:
Found this thread accidentally when I was looking up info on older Warwicks, this bass has been with me for about 6 months now!
This bass is so old it doesn't even have a serial number.
Image Image

Wow!!!! Congrats- that looks amazing!