LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 3:11 am

Post subject: ZON Vinnie quilt redwood top 5 string
PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 9:56 pm 

Not wanting to really let this go so much but I have a ridiculously insane 5 string neck through fretless F Bass being refinished in a pearl red burst by Pat Wilkins that's going to be completed any day. As soon as he buffs and polishes the clear coat and I got to pull six bones just for that out of the couch cushions to get it back to me and a Warwick NT 5 string fretless with non working (at the moment) LEDs and a neck that needs work with Gary Brawer in San Fran getting the spa treatment and who knows what that’s going to cost as he is a bass and guitar brain surgeon. :cry:

SO I need to thin the heard again….and again….and again… to fund all my restoration projects. This bass is awesome and has zero issues besides being a little weird...Feel free to ask questions. I’m not going to trade it for bowling balls if you know what I mean. :D Thanks..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

Post subject: Re: ZON Vinnie quilt redwood top 5 string
PostPosted: August 5th, 2011, 10:34 am 

Damn! I was hoping you were going to wait another two or three months before turning it loose :x

good luck with the sale.

BTW, your pics are several orders of magnitude above what the guy you bought it from posted on CL

PostPosted: August 5th, 2011, 8:23 pm 

Thanks azWhofan, I have double digit basses again and some bills to pay. My day job has changed some of the way we get paid as sales people and well I’ve taken a bit of a haircut lately pay wise but I still have steady solid work so I shouldn’t complain. So many good people I know have been laid off or let go because of our economy here. Just an awful situation for many so not wanting to add to add debt to my situation I have to let this and maybe more go.

I love all my current basses at the moment and have a not small but not huge collection either for my tastes just awesome basses. I recently bought the black USA jazz bass from Gravesbass as I pretty much buy 99% of my basses from him for good reasons. I am trying to make myself like it. I know almost everyone here loves Fender basses either a P or a jazz or whatever and I love their tone in the mix live or recorded but man for the life of me I just can’t help it feels like I’m playing a pinewood derby car from cub scouts when I was a kid. Don’t get me wrong it’s in perfect condition it’s just me not used to a Fender. It’s like I have fought it all my life the Fender thing and I know how great and versatile they are but when it’s in my hands and I’m trying to dig on it I feel like someone is force feeding me castor oil. So my point about the Fender is I would love to move that instead and will most likely post my F Bass when it’s completed. But I am trying to “fit in” and get and dig the Fender before I just give up and sell it.

I do have a little recording I did with the Zon save as a file on my box but I don’t know how to post a link to something like that for everyone to hear but I could email it if anyone has any serious interest in the Zon. I believe my asking price is lower than it’s true value so I’m not going to give it away as well I just don’t need to. Thanks...

PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 8:36 am 

With you Joe on the Fender thing.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 9:18 am 

Heresy, y'all! Fender is the one and only. :lol:

Thinking outloud:

That said, I love to get my hands and that Zon. I've been doing some traveling lately, and it'd be nice to have a light and compact bass like that, plus I've been using my P-Bass for those dates, and man, playing a passive bass when you don't know what kind of amp or engineer you are getting, it's a bet. Having onboard EQ to sweeten things up a bit (or rescue your whole sound for the gig, for that matter) would be nice. I just wonder how stupid all 250 lb of me would look playing such a tiny bass. "Look, Ma, it's a giant bass player!" "Don't be silly, honey, that's a Zon Vinnie 5-string with a redwood top. . . " "Cool!"

PostPosted: August 6th, 2011, 2:33 pm 

I have always thought the Fenders are "in context basses". Many instrument sound cooler when played solo but in the context of a musical ensemble their frequency range and mid-range punch seem to carry the band and still cut through.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 9:55 am 

Thumbslam, if you're interested in a 4 string J, how about a Sonus 4 banger? I know someone... :D

No pinewood in this neck. Just some of the strongest and lightest carbon composite and beatiful phenowood. :)

Ask graves... it's probably the lightest bass I've ever picked up.

Good luck on your sale. Looks like a great price, imo.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 4:32 pm 

bbl wrote:
Thumbslam, if you're interested in a 4 string J, how about a Sonus 4 banger? I know someone... :D

No pinewood in this neck. Just some of the strongest and lightest carbon composite and beatiful phenowood. :)

Ask graves... it's probably the lightest bass I've ever picked up.

Good luck on your sale. Looks like a great price, imo.

It's a nice one indeed, Geoff. :mrgreen: Missing a string but great 4 banger. :roll:

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 10:31 am 

Maybe I'll mod the nut, add a string to it, and see if anyone notices the... 10mm string spacing. :D

PostPosted: August 30th, 2011, 4:48 am 

Hey Thumbslam, did u sell Vinny or is he swimmin with da fishes? I've had my 1980's eye on this bass thru several owners, here & on Arni's but never been financial at the right time.

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2011, 4:50 am 

Hey Thumbslam, did u sell Vinny or is he swimmin with da fishes? I've had my 1980's eye on this bass thru several owners, here & on Arni's but never been financial at the right time.

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the interest glefty5 I have plans to meet up with another member here in the near future and do a possible deal. If that doesnt work out then I will re post it and also my F Bass...