LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:35 pm

Post subject: Amimbari's dream bass?
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 7:53 am 

Ooooo doggy!

This thing looks like it was custom ordered by you dude!

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumc ... 10C81.aspx

Pretty bad ass!

Time to sell a bunch of those beaters and get your dream bass!

:lol:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: Amimbari's dream bass?
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 8:47 am 

you know I was just about to say I fuggin hate you or kiss you, but I looked at it a little more and for 3.5 to4grand, nope...I would have them make me a 5stringer NT TBX [tbird] :) Speaking of the beater basses, I have sold off 6 of the rightys already. No need to keep 20+ rightys around anymore :lol:
I'm down to 7 rightys and up to 8 leftys.

HOWEVER, I never really got into the Yamaha RBX/Phil Collen look, despite having a righty version :)

but I wonder who that lefty was made for in the first place???

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 1:39 pm 

well Addison, I just got a PM on another board after showing this unit was for sale asking me to email the store. When the store replies, I actually may buy the thing if the price is right. if they take payment plans and I can trust it, then sure why not...

but not at 3600.00, that's for sure.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 6:49 am 

hey Addison, well 3600 was way out of my league of pricing for that white USA-C/S, but this one was not :)

the guy says it is a 94 which it could be cause they made Futuras from 92-94. I'll know when I get it next week from the serial. It is NOT the elusive 5string version that I'll probably never find in my lifetime, but a very rare 4string is close enough......

you guys rip on me constantly about the "why own 12-15 2-300 dollar basses" and sell em all and buy a couple nice ones....well I just did it again and killed your saying one more time. the Futura was less than 300 :):)

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 12:25 pm 

Nice score!!

Make sure you give an update once you get it.

:D

Did you see the lefty ESP T-Bird they just got???

YOWZAS!!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 1:48 pm 

where's the "crying because the price is so high" smiley?

weird pickguard AND why oh why did they NOT use the 2 band EQ with a stacked knob or 4 knobs..V/V/T is so....so....bland :(

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 6:21 pm 

yep got it. It sounds and plays like any of the other passive Charvels I have. I'm not surprised in any way, only for the fact I found it and didn't have to fork out a 1/2grand. It has the universal bridge on it ( not the Jackson Hi-mass ), the pots turn the lefty way, the j must be the newer j150VS because it don't buzz, and the only cosmetic issue is a finish crack between the knobs, but the seller disclosed all of that.

It came in a very nicely padded gigbag that I could actually use if I didn't already have a case for it.

J4 = 1994

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:06 am 

so after a couple months my project bass is coming back.... :)

it is an old 1989 Series10 2295 p/JJ unit that I never played ( took it out of the box on day 1 and hit the head against the beam in my basement as you can see in the pic ). I only paid 50 bucks for it so I laughed took off the string put the broken piece in a bag and threw it on the shelf. I wanted this thing to look like my preamped P/HB Charvel so I gave it to a friend with all the spare Jackson parts and said knock yourself out.

We chose antique white to match the yellowed paint on my Kramer and Charvel white units...came out pretty close. I will have it back this week, but he tossed a couple cameraphone pics of it to me to say "it's done"

before:

after:

I never really cared to notice that the neck is a 1 piece scarf-joint style like my Charvels

he tried to get the sticker company to match the size of the OEM logo, but it was not turning out right from the pic he had to use for them to put in their computer, so It's larger..ok by me.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 2:25 pm 

that looks good! What sound do you get from the P + JJ config?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:04 pm 

With a headstock like that you look dangerous in a bar fight...

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 3:39 am 

blankrider wrote:
that looks good! What sound do you get from the P + JJ config?
a JJ is the same as a regular HB(soapbar) the jackson pickups are true dualcoil and no different that I can hear, and the dualrail-p for the sseries10 came out of a unit like in my Charvel Eliminator. The only nice thing is on splitcoil mode on the bridge pickup, it sounds like a trebly j-pickup without any hint of buzz. I only have a push-pull pot that uses one coil, not fancy like the units you can select either of the coils. I've used my p/HB config on my Charvel for a long time.

I have some vids on my youtube channel using the HB only on the Charvel just to put them there, but live thru the camcorder mics don't really give you the full effect and no comparison compared to standing in the room.

p.s. and Frenchy, that series10 is NOT a point for stabbing people....it's a heavy 10lb+ plywood bass to smack them with the body :lol:

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 7:31 am 

FYI, there's no less than 3 (count 'em) lefty Kramer 700STs out there right now. Two are at Groovy guitar (1 black and 1 white), and one's a metallic blue up on ebay from Tom (Lefty Loser guitars).

I'm curious, how's the Kramer 700ST differ from the Charvel 2B? They look like virtually the same bass (sans the PUP selector switch no the Kramer?). Any preference, amimbari?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 8:51 am 

ya I saw that blue one... I'll think about it before it ends since 200 is a little on the high side for my cheap ass. I am gonna list the pink righty this weekend to see if it sells, if it does, then I'll bid on the blue one for sure...if not, then I'll think about it.

( remember I bought a PAIR of those things for a little over 200 :mrgreen: )
passive stock 2b to stock 700? the knobs on the 2b is V/B/T, the 700 is V/T/T with the switch.

the 700 is plywood and lighter than the poplarwood Charvel. ( and the neck radius difference ) I could play either one of them all night and not get cramped from the shape differences. Soundwise...eh, they all go thru my rack so I can EQ to do whatever with anything I plug into it. I never measured the ohms on the Spector pickups, but I'm guessing 8-9k on the p and 11-12k on the J.

here's a pic of the trio

if you look close at the pic, the kramer and that series 10's bodies are sooooo close to identical, compared to the 2b.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 6:00 am 

The other glaring difference is the reverse P PUP on the 2B too.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 6:25 am 

pjmuck wrote:
The other glaring difference is the reverse P PUP on the 2B too.
because the kramer/series10 are norm-p, when I flipped the strings they are now my rev-p units.

as a sidenote, that lefty Futura I got sounds like punk thin ass as a passive bass unless I turn the EQ bass side up a LOT. I'm gonna drop a Jackson preamp in it this weekend if I can find a dualshaft pot in my parts bin so I don't have to drill another hole in it.

Jackson changed pup suppliers in the early 90's and it was a crap shoot as to what you got with pickups.. This unit must have got the junky ones.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 8:55 am 

it has been a long while since I can remember posting my a group picture of the leftys on here.
some gone, some gained.

so what I ended up with at the close of 2012 is 3 Charvel model 2's, a Jackson DK, a Jackson Futura, 2 Series10 model 2290's, a Series10 2295, a Kramer ST700 and finally a Peavy BXP.

and although not leftys I found a body this year and I now have a pair of tri-color bodies amongst the righty collection....

PostPosted: January 1st, 2013, 6:23 pm 

I had a lefty charvel by jackson in the 90's, bought it used. stolen sadly.