LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:33 am

Post subject: '51 Fender Precision copy
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 8:33 pm 

There was an earlier thread about how to go about building one of these and someone's done the work already. This looks like a nicely put together replica using good components. BIN $1000 with a Best Offer option could land it at a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Left-Handed-Warmoth-51-Precision-Lic-By-Fender_W0QQitemZ280232731144QQihZ018QQcategoryZ155300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to wonder how they went about finding the hard-to-find lefty control plate. I wonder if it's a chromed righty.

Post subject: Re: '51 Fender Precision copy
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 9:04 pm 

Nice but I wish Warmoth would do the vintage Tele/Pbass neck pockets right. (the more squared off neck joint). I wish I knew why that bugged me. OCD maybe? :evil:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 11:41 am 

Matt R. wrote:
Nice but I wish Warmoth would do the vintage Tele/Pbass neck pockets right. (the more squared off neck joint). I wish I knew why that bugged me. OCD maybe? :evil:

Definitely OCD. :shock:

Those basses really beg for a relic treatment, though. All shiny and new like that. . . :x

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 3:20 pm 

Man I'd have been all over this thing except he killed it for me with the J neck. I started on a J and after a couple of years, picked up a P and it was like "welcome home". The P neck and the P sound are what it's all about for me. Too bad. Almost my dream bass. I guess I should thank him, he saved me $1000.

Can someone explain about how it is built by Warmoth but licensed by Fender Custom? What does that mean? Is it technically a Fender or not? He has all the Fender decals including the Custom shop decal, is that legit? Does that mean I could have Warmoth build me a bass and it would be licensed as having the Fender name on it? Cheaper than going thru a Fender Custom shop build.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 3:34 pm 

Lefty007 wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

Definitely OCD. :shock:

Those basses really beg for a relic treatment, though. All shiny and new like that. . . :x

Ha yes I confess... OCD. :ugeek: But that is a damn nice bass :mrgreen:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 8:14 pm 

ADSR wrote:
Man I'd have been all over this thing except he killed it for me with the J neck. I started on a J and after a couple of years, picked up a P and it was like "welcome home". The P neck and the P sound are what it's all about for me. Too bad. Almost my dream bass. I guess I should thank him, he saved me $1000.

Can someone explain about how it is built by Warmoth but licensed by Fender Custom? What does that mean? Is it technically a Fender or not? He has all the Fender decals including the Custom shop decal, is that legit? Does that mean I could have Warmoth build me a bass and it would be licensed as having the Fender name on it? Cheaper than going thru a Fender Custom shop build.

Warmoth makes Fender Licensed parts, which means parts that are compatible with other Fender parts and have similar dimension and shapes. They are not Fender parts.

Any bass that you see with an aftermarket decal is an illegal, counterfeit decal. Fender don't sell decals legally. That bass is made from Warmoth parts that are Fender licensed and hence compatible, but the decals were added by the builder, and the decals are not legit.

So a Warmoth is in no way a Custom Shop Fender, although they do make quality components on par to any manufacturer out there.