LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:07 pm

Post subject: another Hot Rod P on the 'Bay
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 4:40 am 

Nice looking bass. It's a minor point but technically I think it's incorrect for the seller to describe it as a Precision "Hot Rodded" model if it's a '99. It should be called a Precision "Hot Rod". Makes no difference in the actual bass but they changed the model name to "Hot Rodded" a couple of years later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Left-Handed-USA-Fender-Hot-Rodded-Precision-Bass-1999_W0QQitemZ300225784609QQihZ020QQcategoryZ155300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject: Re: another Hot Rod P on the 'Bay
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 9:38 am 

I own an '01 of one of these, and I have to admit I'm unclear are what the differences are between the two. Do you know how they differ?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 10:10 am 

I was curious too.
I downloaded some PDF documents from the Fender website for both Hot Rod and "Rodded" Precisions. There were a few differences in the line drawings but the parts list for all the major parts were identical part numbers. I also asked at a couple of other forums and got no single definitive answer. It seems there is no difference apart from possibly different color options.

Best I can tell, they changed the model name only because they changed their whole model lineup by introducing the American Series in 2000. This is all second and third hand info, I'm no authority.

How are the control pots on your '01? Mine work OK but they have a very loose, cheap feel to them. I'd like to change them some time down the road.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 12:56 pm 

Another one just showed up on ebay in Transparent Orange (the color of mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Left-Handed-P-Bass_W0QQitemZ280228224855QQihZ018QQcategoryZ155300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regarding the Hot Rod/Hot Rodded differences, I had heard that the earlier ones had rougher fretwork and cheaper feeling control pots, as you mentioned, so the newer ones had rolled fingerboard edges. I honestly don't know which version I own unless I have another one for comparison. The pots and frets feel okay to me, but I don't know if they represent the "improved" version or the original version.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 1:35 pm 

Same here for my '99. There's nothing wrong with the fretboard or frets that I can see. The bass feels good to play, feels like a Precision so I'm right at home.

The orange one looks nice. He just calls it Precision, doesn't mention Hot Rod. The neck looks more tapered than a P. Might be a J neck. Hard to tell in these photos. It might be a different model.