LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:59 pm

Post subject: '71 P
PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 2:59 pm 
His Majesty
His Majesty

Says all-original...

No price. If anyone looks into it please report back.

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... em=1852331

Post subject: Re: '71 P
PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Just called them. It's a beautiful looking bass, but they want $6,000 for it. :shock:

Their prices seem on the high side across the board unfortunately.

What do you all think is a fair price for that bass? It seems to me like the vintage thing is getting out of hand.

The salesman did mention though that it weighs between 8.25-8.5 lbs., so that's a nice bonus.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 3:53 pm 

andrew wrote:
Just called them. It's a beautiful looking bass, but they want $6,000 for it. :shock:

What do you all think is a fair price for that bass? It seems to me like the vintage thing is getting out of hand.

The salesman did mention though that it weighs between 8.25-8.5 lbs., so that's a nice bonus.

Jesus Tits. 6 large???? :o

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 6:35 pm 
His Majesty
His Majesty

andrew wrote:

If I wanted that bass (and if it was a Jazz I would) I'd consider it under 4,500.

But that doesn't mean it's not worth more. As I'm sure you'll agree, it's worth what she'll bring....

And FWIW, if they said 6,000 they'll take 5. Easy. Prolly less when you start peelin' off them fiat dollars...

PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 7:38 am 

I was quoted $6000 too. Way too much, IMO. I would put the value in the $3500-4000 range.

How crazy has the vintage market become? Only 4 years ago Norman's Music had an original lefty '59 slab board Precision. Asking price: $5500. Too rich for my blood, I said at the time. :evil:

PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 8:00 am 

No doubt. I go ga-ga for vintage Fenders, but vintage prices are getting to the point that their are just not worth it for players anymore. Maybe for European or Japanese collectors, but after you hit the $3500 mark, I would much rather get a custom to my specs.

But, really, these are expensive toys for people with money, and these dealers know it. If I had money, you bet I will buy every vintage Fender I can find, even if overpriced.

About 3-4 years ago I came across a mint 1970 sunburst P, rosewood, all-original. They were asking $2000 and I thought that was ridiculous. Should have known better. :(

PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 3:16 pm 

I bought my 74 Jazz (the bass in my avatar) 4 years ago for $3000. I wonder what it would go for now. It's all original. I absolutely would never sell it though

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

One thing I hate is the free for all attitude with lefty vintage basses. There are guidelines for the great majority of the righty bass world for value and they set the bar for the value of vintage pieces one way or the other, but the unmonitored (or ignored) faction of the vintage instrument market that's left handed seems to be an invitation to many sellers to play fast and loose with their pricing.
Where a righty bass is valued at $3000 in the price guide might typically range a few hundred dollars in either direction, a left handed example of the same bass priced at $3000 for it's right handed counterpart could suddenly fluctuate in price by thousands.

I recently had a '71 Precision offered to me that had been entirely stripped of it's original finish. I consulted the vintage sellers I know and asked for opinions about the bass on BABP. The general consensus was the bass was worth about $1800, due the the fact that generally a stripped instrument gets devalued by half, and they priced it at $400-600 more for being a lefty. So I told the seller that was what I thought was the fair price, told him why and even gave him links to where it was discussed. He was deeply offended, certain I was trying to lowball him, and based on what he saw online and some funny math deduced for what the mint right handed examples go for told me he was certain the bass was worth $3000 and not a penny less. :roll: This would have been a simple matter if the left handed version was listed in the price guide, but instead the inflated value perception of lefty stuff had him thinking wild prices for what amounted to a nice players bass.

While it's true left handed stuff is more uncommon, so too are lefty players. The demand has to match the availability, and the flawed notion that the rarity of lefty basses makes them command whoppingly higher prices has probably cost most of us more for an old bass at some point.

We need to do our own Lefty Vintage price guide! I wish...

PostPosted: May 17th, 2008, 7:11 am 

It's the double standard that's always annoyed me about the ridiculous markups on lefties. They're sold by dealers who reluctantly carry lefties or never carry lefties to begin with, primarily because they claim they can't move them and/or they sit around forever, yet when they do get their greedy mitts on a vintage one they mark it up significantly with a description like, "Incredibly rare, you won't find another, bla, bla, bla." Well sure I won't find another. That's because you very same SOBs refused to carry them all these years, and now you want to charge me extra for YOUR discrimination? They've created this scenario, not you or I. Dealer/manufacturer indifference and the unnecessary over-markup of lefties helps to contribute to the lower supply and demand, (as I still maintain that there are more lefties out there than they give us credit for), but since neither dealers nor the companies make it easier to actually be left handed many of us are either forced to pay through the nose or "adapt".