It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 1:03 am

Post subject: Fender HR-P for a good price
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 9:17 am 
Site Admin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lefty-Left-handed-9 ... dZViewItem

Nice BIN price.

Post subject: Re: Fender HR-P for a good price
PostPosted: May 6th, 2008, 12:24 pm 

I jumped on it. Actually saw it on the bay a couple hours before I noticed it posted it here.

There's been a lot of mixed reviews and confusion about the Hot Rod series, complicated by the Precision 'Hot RODDED" P model that came right after. I couldn't resist a US made lefty P for the price, even if I never use the J pickup.

Arrived last night. Great condition, a few dings here and there but looks very clean. I'll be testing it out on a jam or 2 and will follow up.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2008, 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Cool man, congratulations. Yeah, let us know what you think of it after you've jammed with it.

My buddy just sold his HR-P (to Zimmy on here actually) and I got to try it before it was mailed and it sounded killer.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm 

I remember when they discontinued that model, Musician Friend's were selling them on clearance for $500 or so. I got three of them :shock: , one orange, one sunburst, and one natural. They sure looked pretty, but they were heavy (for me) and I've never been a fan of P-Bass-width necks.

And they sure sounded nice. They only needed a fret leveling and fret ends, because around those years Fender was doing some really sloppy job on frets, but otherwise, very nice basses. And later I bought a white one from eBay, and almost bought a black one from a store going out of business. Compulsive buyer, what can I say.

It was rare to see Fender offering 5 different color on lefties. I would kill to have a transparent orange or white American Standard Jazz.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2008, 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Lefty007 wrote:
I would kill to have a transparent orange or white American Standard Jazz.

Who'd you kill for a white american jazz bass? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 11:34 am 

ADSR wrote:
I jumped on it. Actually saw it on the bay a couple hours before I noticed it posted it here.

There's been a lot of mixed reviews and confusion about the Hot Rod series, complicated by the Precision 'Hot RODDED" P model that came right after. I couldn't resist a US made lefty P for the price, even if I never use the J pickup.

Arrived last night. Great condition, a few dings here and there but looks very clean. I'll be testing it out on a jam or 2 and will follow up.

Congrats! Great price.

Confusion is right! I bought one off ebay about a year ago and I think it's a 2001. (Serial # Z0151920). How do I know which version I have, and what are the differences? Did the headstock s on these ever state, "Hot Rod or Hot Rodded Precision"? Mine only says "Precision".

Mine was, believe or not, my first foray into a PJ-designed bass (aside from my active PJs), and while I think it's a solid, well-made instrument there's a few things that I'm not crazy about:
The neck profile feels weird to me and though I've gotten used to it I never feel completely comfortable on it; The P PUP soloed sounds great, but the The J PUP soloed is just okay, IMO. Sometimes perception is everything, but while I hear a J tone when I play it, I don't "feel" a J tone, due to the aforementioned neck and P style of the instrument; I'm not that impressed with the tone of PJ PUPS when fully combined, and I've heard other PJ combos since that sounded better.
I think the JJ combo works better, IMO. And finally, the orange finish is more of a red than orange as it appeared in marketing photos. Still a beautiful bass though.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2008, 11:11 am 

Since I'm a Precision guy, the P neck and style are the very things I like about it ( one man's meat...yada yada).

My first jam with it was in a terrible room, bad acoustics, lousy amp, so I can't conclude much. I liked the J pup a lot more than I expected to at least in that setting. The control pots feel very flimsy and I may replace them if I decide to keep the bass. The interaction between the J and p pups when mixing both is a little strange too. Sometimes the volume stays the same or even goes down a bit as you mix in more of one or the other pup. I did read that Fender specially designed the 2 pups for mixing together so I wonder if this is how they are supposed to work.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2008, 8:47 pm 

Jams over the weekend have proved this bass to be a winner. I am still able to get the old school P sound that I count on but now the the Hot Rod opens up a whole new set of options. I've been jonesing for some single coil snarl ( Those lefty Telebasses in pjmuck's gallery :shock: ) and that j pup next to the bridge has plenty of that, at least for now.
Feels and sounds great with TI flats. I'll get my own little gallery together soon. ;)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 1:01 pm 

Look what i"ve got :)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Maya wrote:
Look what i"ve got :)

Cool! congratulations. How's it treating you?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 5:32 pm 

I see this thread woke up. I'm not Maya, I'm the guy who bought the HRP that started this thread. Thought it worth updating now 6 months later. It's a sunburst/tort. Looks virtually identical to the one pictured in another thread here: http://leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94

I find it to be exactly what it was designed to be, versatile.

I go to a lot of jams and the HRP is ideal when I don't know what type of music is on the agenda. It can kick butt in just about any style. I have to say that with the J pickup completely off, it does not sound like any of my other P's but it does have a very deep and heavy punch. I still favor my 57 RI CIJ P bass if I want a real "precision" sound like for blues.

I've been actually using the J pup by itself more often because it's got plenty of bite and midrange. I roll in a bit of the split P pup to fill out the bottom if I need to. I've read that a lot of people do the opposite, running the split P mostly and then dialing in the J pup to taste.

I've been thinking that since I like the J pup, I might like a Jazz bass, but I'd prefer a P type neck, has that been done? Perhaps what this really proves is that I'm partial to the single coil sound. That would lead me back to my quest for some kind of lefty P with the single coil pup design.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 6:20 pm 

ADSR wrote:
I see this thread woke up. I'm not Maya, I'm the guy who bought the HRP that started this thread. Thought it worth updating now 6 months later. It's a sunburst/tort. Looks virtually identical to the one pictured in another thread here: http://leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94

AND THAT ONE IS STILL FOR SALE!!!
:D

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 7:30 pm 

And FYI, my orange one is sold.

Thanks Rick!