It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 6:53 am

Post subject: 1975 Fender P-Bass
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 7:39 pm 

nice bass :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0528882108

Post subject: Re: 1975 Fender P-Bass
PostPosted: August 20th, 2010, 9:59 pm 

PunkRockBassist wrote:

Oh boy I need help here because I have the GAS big time often. But with all the basses I owned I actually gigs with my main one and sometimes take out 1 or 2 depending on the heaviness of the gig.

I have the same bass as this one 75 P but it's been modified so much to become the ultimate studio bass that nothing original is left on it and I mean nothing. If you want more details on all the mods I did over the years it will be my pleasure. Having the chance to buy an original P 75 would fill my need to have an original from that period. I also have a 69 P with flats on it that gives me a great vintage sound and vibe and I use it once in a while on gigs for fun and diversity. But I have a 76 J with a neck that been modified more like a 62 with rosewood and dots. No more 70's vibe to it. This neck used to be modified for an other bass as a fretless à la Jaco with epoxy. The bass sounds great à la Marcus but it's heavy and I would love to have it a bit like the original 70's and A new Fender Japan is available in the limited or basic version. They look great and I really don't know if I should go for another vintage original P (I have 2 good ones) or a Japan Jazz bass reissue 75 . I'm looking at the Antique white with the Maple fingerboard since I don't have any maple neck since I sold my ATK not long ago.

What would YOU do ?

PostPosted: August 20th, 2010, 10:28 pm 

sly, if it were me, I would go for the vintage bass. You can NEVER have too many of them LOL.

Looks like it sold for $1400.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2010, 11:36 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
sly, if it were me, I would go for the vintage bass. You can NEVER have too many of them LOL.

do you think the buyer got a good deal ?

PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 6:31 am 

PunkRockBassist wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

Yes totally !! Dam'

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:50 am 

slybass3000 wrote:
PunkRockBassist wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

Yes totally !! Dam'

Do you know if the japanese reissue are worth it? I'm still really tempted by both models: the 75' JB ash or alder with the usa PU.

Any suggestion?

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 10:27 am 

while the JapANESE models are good/great basses, they just never felt like "the real thing" to me. I dunno, maybe it's psycological, but I prefer the vintage ones over the reissues, even if the vintage pieces are boat anchors.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:13 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
while the Jap models are good/great basses, they just never felt like "the real thing" to me. I dunno, maybe it's psycological, but I prefer the vintage ones over the reissues, even if the vintage pieces are boat anchors.

I bought the re-issue JB75/US finally with the alder body and rosewood fingerboard.

I'll let you know when I'll get it. I missed the 72 a while ago but at 4K it was not worth it in these conditions.
The new black one looks awesome....on the pic anyway ;-)

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 9:11 am 

I have virtually the same bass you just bought Sly, only with a maple neck instead of rosewood.

I, and I'm sure Jeroen, will be excited to hear your review on it! :D

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 4:39 pm 

hey is it just me but my friend pointed out in the pic of the back of the headstock the top right corner of D string tuner seems off the hadstock slightly is that a big issue ?

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 8:47 pm 

PunkRockBassist wrote:
hey is it just me but my friend pointed out in the pic of the back of the headstock the top right corner of D string tuner seems off the hadstock slightly is that a big issue ?

Sorry, What bass and/or what picture are you referring to?

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 9:58 pm 

slybass3000 wrote:
PunkRockBassist wrote:

Sorry, What bass and/or what picture are you referring to?

The 75 p-bass on ebay my friend bought it and this worried us ill attach the pic and i drew a red arrow pointing to what i was talking about thanks.

Attachments:
!B0jyT5g!mk~$(KGrHqMOKnIEw9P29L58BM,z6R(vtg~~_12.jpg
!B0jyT5g!mk~$(KGrHqMOKnIEw9P29L58BM,z6R(vtg~~_12.jpg [ 25.74 KiB | Viewed 6770 times ]
PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 8:17 am 

It is not uncommon to see that, in fact I own two 70's period Fenders that exhibit similar issues. The G string tuner plate edge peaks out slightly over the top of the headstock on my '73 Fender P. Pretty much par for the course with Fender's quality control inconsistencies throughout the 70's, but shouldn't effect playability or tone in any way. I'd be more concerned with how the front looks, particularly the alignment of the strings down the neck to the bridge. Are they centered and evenly spaced? THAT is the biggest, most common error I've seen in these 70's basses.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 11:12 am 

pjmuck wrote:
It is not uncommon to see that, in fact I own two 70's period Fenders that exhibit similar issues. The G string tuner plate edge peaks out slightly over the top of the headstock on my '73 Fender P. Pretty much par for the course with Fender's quality control inconsistencies throughout the 70's, but shouldn't effect playability or tone in any way. I'd be more concerned with how the front looks, particularly the alignment of the strings down the neck to the bridge. Are they centered and evenly spaced? THAT is the biggest, most common error I've seen in these 70's basses.

thanks pjmuck to the strings look centered and evenly spaced but if you could click the link in the first post and look at the pics in the ebay auction and give me your opinion that would mean alot thanks.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2010, 10:08 am 

Well I don't see anything egregious from just looking at the pics. It looks well-played, and perhaps the top of the body route extends slightly beyond the base of the neck heel, but again, common imperfection with 70's Fenders, and if its' not sticking out substantially then it should be acceptable. The real questions I'd be asking if I'd purchased it, however, would be regarding the neck stability/truss rod, condition of frets, input jack, pots, PUP, etc. and whether or not those components are original. No pix to show innards.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2010, 9:10 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Well I don't see anything egregious from just looking at the pics. It looks well-played, and perhaps the top of the body route extends slightly beyond the base of the neck heel, but again, common imperfection with 70's Fenders, and if its' not sticking out substantially then it should be acceptable. The real questions I'd be asking if I'd purchased it, however, would be regarding the neck stability/truss rod, condition of frets, input jack, pots, PUP, etc. and whether or not those components are original. No pix to show innards.

ok pjmuck thank you so much for all your hepl :)