LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:36 am

Post subject: Fender USA P 2008
PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 11:02 pm 

This just wasn't my cup of tea. Bought it from another member here and it never left my bedroom. No secrete I'm not a big Fender fan but I thought it was probably a good idea to try one and own a good one if I was going to say I don't like them. If you don't vote then don't talk politics right? Well I even tried to like it but it just doesn't suit my taste or some would say lack thereof. Anyway I did the shameless thing and put her on the bay...Please note I am not a Fender expert and don't claim to be. If any members here that are truly well educated in the Fender realm please kindly correct me and I will correct my listing if it is wrong. If anyone here is interested to work something out please let me know. I am not interested in trades at this time as I have more basses than fingers and well I’m going to change my collection around a bit and thin the heard and keep the basses I play the most and get some scratch together for some upgrades and a new 6 stringer I have coming in a few months. Thanks for any or all positive feedback or direction. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Precision-US ... 2eae4bfbf1

Attachments:
P1000767.JPG
P1000767.JPG [ 239.01 KiB | Viewed 8091 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Fender USA P 2008
PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 12:02 am 

I am only plugging this bass because I used to own it and sold it to Joe to fund another bass. It's a KILLER P Bass. 9LBs of P-Bass Love!! Good Luck!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 1:16 am 

Any sound clip ?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 2:17 am 

AUstralian = $1,004.85

I wish i could buy it :(

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 4:12 am 

I'm sorry I do not have any sound clips because I never recorded anything with it. I might be out of line here but it's a Fender P so there are a zillion ways to hear what they sound like. I understand there are subtle differences between one and another. My personal system of recording will vary from many others so unless you could hear how any two sound like from my system of recording comparing a sound clip from and some YouTube recording they or it will sound completely different even if it's the same bass. So maybe I'm wrong but I'm not trying to be unhelpful but for a Pbass I'm not thinking I'm going to set up the studio to record it. If that's a deal breaker then it collects dust under my bed. :|

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 7:47 am 

cangaroo wrote:
Any sound clip ?

It's a P-Bass... they've been used on literally 10's of THOUSANDS of recordings in the last 60 years.

I went to YouTube and did a search for "Fender Precision" and here's a TINY sample of what I was able to find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOdqt43Tks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I08cGhpeF0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1TvOMLDtZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gfCufZpTn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjEDuCJRVJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZA-CN8_bQ4

Does Thumbslam's P-Bass sound EXACTLY like the basses in those Youtube videos? Maybe not EXACTLY... but if you were to do a "blind tatse test" between his P-bass and pretty much any other Fender p-bass in the world, I'm thinking it would be nearly impossible for anyone to tell the difference... especially within the context of a full band mix.

A bass player friend of mine who has toured the world several times opening for bands like Green Day told me this:

"I only play P-Basses for the same reason I only drink Budweiser beer. No matter where you are in the world, you can grab one and pretty much know exactly what you're going to get every single time."

Anyway, back to the bass and seller in question:

Thumbslam is an AWESOME dude, and does not own nor sell garbage. I recommend him HIGHLY, and if I had the extra cash lying around, I would snag this thing up in a second... I've always wanted a good P-Bass in ym stable, but never made the move.

The price on this bass is fantastic... if you've been thinking of dropping a few bucks on a USA P-Bass, now's your chance.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Addison wrote:
"I only play P-Basses for the same reason I only drink Budweiser beer. No matter where you are in the world, you can grab one and pretty much know exactly what you're going to get every single time."

The same holds true of McDonalds food, but I cringe at the analogy because it has the venerable precision bass rubbing shoulders with mediocrity. ;)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 10:27 am 

As a small rule of thumb goes, there are average Fender basses, good Fender basses and GOOD Fender basses. This P Bass kicks ass and lots of output for a passive bass! It's 9LBs and I have heard and played a lot of P basses in my life. If your looking for a good one, this is your chance. If I wasn't thinning the herd, I would snatch it back from Joe. I loved this bass but GAS makes us all sell gear we wish we didn't. Where else are you gonna find an American Fender in 9.9/10 condition at this price range? You cant even see the small abrasion to the side. Its on the lower wing and purely cosmetic. Its a players bass. Good Luck!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 10:44 am 

andrew wrote:
The same holds true of McDonalds food, but I cringe at the analogy because it has the venerable precision bass rubbing shoulders with mediocrity. ;)

You say mediocrity... I say reliability, dependability, and universal adoration.

You just have to keep your glass half full, my friend... :mrgreen:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 1:28 pm 

Well that's one sweet looking bass there Joe!!

I can tell you that Joe is an honorable & respectable seller. I bought a bass from him and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 1:54 pm 

I might be interested. I've been thinking about a good solid new P for a while, considering I'm now sending my '73 P's PUP out to Fralin for the second time to have it rewound. :x

Question: what is the neck profile on these newer Ps? Is it a C or B (or somewhere in between)?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 1:59 pm 

[quote][/quote]i would buy it but it has a rosewood fretboard i dont know i just love P-basses with maple necks.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

PunkRockBassist wrote:
Quote:
i would buy it but it has a rosewood fretboard i dont know i just love P-basses with maple necks.

Unfortunately Fender USA does not currently offer a lefty bass with a maple board, nor have they done so since the 80's.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Addison wrote:
You say mediocrity... I say reliability, dependability, and universal adoration.

You just have to keep your glass half full, my friend... :mrgreen:

Reliability, dependability and adoration are all words I'd apply to the P-Bass, but not Budweiser beer... :shock:

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 4:03 pm 

andrew wrote:
PunkRockBassist wrote:
Quote:
i would buy it but it has a rosewood fretboard i dont know i just love P-basses with maple necks.

Unfortunately Fender USA does not currently offer a lefty bass with a maple board, nor have they done so since the 80's.

[url][/url] well that sucks lol

PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 4:24 pm 

Thank you Addison and Tallboybass, your kind words are much appreciated. I do try to leave behind a trail of good karma because the world needs it even in our little left-hand corner of the world. :D