LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 2:13 am

Post subject: Re: SX $99 Lefty Firesale
PostPosted: March 20th, 2010, 1:33 am 

Mine arrived this evening!
I have to say that I am very impressed.
I have not had a chance to plug it into my amp, I'll get to that tomorrow but it sounds great acoustically. It is very clear and resonant so I have high hopes for its amplified sound.

The fit and finish is very good, not perfect, but it is easy to see why these basses have such a large and loyal following. The color (LPB) is beautiful, my wife even commented on how nice the color looked and I havn't found any flaws in the finish at all. The neck is a bit dark but not too bad and the wood even has some light flame figuring. The neck is very comfortable. It isn't as thin as my MIJ Jazz (nothing is, not even a Geddy Lee) but it is flatter that my MIM and my Warmoth.

According to my bathroom scale it weighs 9 pounds.

The only real down side is the bridge, it has to go. I'll pick up a Gotoh 201 to replace it (have to make sure it will fit first but I think it will). The front pup looks ever so slightly angled but one has to look very closely to tell. I'm still debating if I want to change the pickguard as I have never been a fan of plain white, but it will do for now.

I'll order the bridge and when it arrives I'll take it to my tech and have it shielded and change out the pots and wiring if it needs it. Then I'll have the bridge changed, a complete setup with new strings and strap locks done. Not counting the cost of strings that will still put the total price approx $200, IMO for a bass of this quality that's amazing.

Cheers!