LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:03 pm

Post subject: G&L SB-2
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 1:49 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-SB-2-Bass-Guita ... 414cf088fa

Great basses, I liked mine a lot. I would still have it if I had more use for it, but I just didn't play it often enough.

Post subject: Re: G&L SB-2
PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 8:02 am 

Very interesting. I'm not all that familiar with G&L basses. What would be considered a fair price for the auction?

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 9:18 am 

IIRC, I paid 700 USD for mine a year ago, if you leave out import duties, VAT and shipping. I thought that was a pretty fair price, but my only reference are the European prices. And over here, you get a new Tribute L2000 for 700 USD. So I'd say 700 for a US-made G&L is reasonable, but that's from my point of view.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 1:43 pm 

I think $700 is about right too - I paid that for a nice L2K recently. This SB2 is a little older - it has the 3 bolt neck attachment. Not really old - like 80s old - those have 2 single coil MFDs. I am sure none of you will want to bid on this though 8-)

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 2:30 pm 

I contacted different websites and you can get new ones for just around 1000 excluded shipping ... I wouldn t go much over 500$ for a used one ! Right handed ones go for around 400 USD.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 2:58 pm 

Interesting - which sites did you see them on for that? And were they lefties? :!:

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 3:27 pm 

Bass central sells it for 1050 dollar excluding shipping , brand new , left handed yeah...
They actually have a lot of lefties and for great prices. If you are on TalkBass , i ve heard you got 5% extra discount!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2010, 5:46 pm 

Am I to understand these basses have two volume knobs and no tone knob??? What's the "logic" behind that?

PostPosted: February 12th, 2010, 7:28 pm 

I have the 1st gen SB2 and while the pickups are a different setup (JJ rather than PJ) the controls are just a vol knob for each pickup and a selector switch - no tone knob. I think the idea Leo had was for the SB series to be for beginners (SB = student bass) while the L series was for pros, so he wanted the controls to be simple. I like it personally, the pickups are loud and the bridge one is trebly of course, so if you turn that up its like turning up the tone knob. The bridge pickup is bassier but has that bright edge to it too (I think all the MFDs do). I don't turn the bridge one up all the way, it is very loud for a passive bass. The split coil on the newer SB2s is supposed to be really loud and bright too. BTW they are making the SB1 again, which just has the split coil in the P bass position. Here's a pic of mine (showing the control setup - hey any excuse right):

PostPosted: February 13th, 2010, 7:47 am 

bhunt1 wrote:
The split coil on the newer SB2s is supposed to be really loud and bright too.

Not really bright, but it does produce a very wide range of tones. Just varying with the volume knobs gives you a very powerful tone control already :). With the volume knob of the splitcoil set to about 8 you have your regular Precision tone. With the volume knob turned fully up, it adds some beef and top end, and an amazingly high output. With the volume control of the bridge pickup, you can add just the amount of treble you want, or go all the way for a big and very well-defined fingerstyle tone and some amazing slap sounds (and it sounds great with a pick too in any position).
I just never liked the bridge pickup soloed, it's a bit weak and thin compared to the splitcoil and compared to a regular Jazz Bass bridge pickup because it's so close to the bridge.

But overall, just the two volume controls give you a lot of tonal options. And let's be honest, how many people really use their tone pot on a passive bass? ;)

bhunt1 wrote:
BTW they are making the SB1 again, which just has the split coil in the P bass position.

No they don't :)
That's been out of production for a few years now. It's a cool bass though, doesn't have the slim J-style neck but the same chunky neck profile that's on the L-series, and the SB-1 does have a tone control.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2010, 8:16 am 

Here a link showing a new custom ordered SB1 - typical G&L they don't have it on their web site, but it exists!

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73

PostPosted: February 21st, 2010, 6:46 am 

You guys were right , that bass went for 760 dollars , wich sounds like a lot to me , since i just ordered a brand new one , with deluxe finish for 1125Dollars shipped to my door. The bass itself was 975$... It should come at the end of this week...
What do you guys think?