LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:44 pm

Post subject: New Jersey Guitar and Bass
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 12:35 pm 

This shop is about 15 minutes from me and, ironically, I've never been there, but I plan on checking it out this week. Lots of interesting stuff, particularly a couple of American made US Masters Guitar Works basses. Anybody familiar with these basses? They seem to make a lower end import line as well as US made instruments at very reasonable prices, though I'm not sure what the shop's asking for these used ones.

http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter ... anded.html

Post subject: Re: New Jersey Guitar and Bass
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 1:07 pm 

I was right down the street from you on Mon in Jersey City while in the greater NYC area the past couple of days, but I had zero time to stray from my itinerary which was totally void of anything music or woodworking/luthery related. I did manage to put 494 miles on the rental car in three very l-o-n-g days, and [sarcasm]totally enjoyed my rental car 'upgrade' [/sarcasm] from a compact to a Ford Expidition ... since it was a rental car and I had insurance the taxis had zero intimidation on us changing lanes and cutting across traffic :lol:

[/hijack]

all the best,

R

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:20 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
This shop is about 15 minutes from me and, ironically, I've never been there, but I plan on checking it out this week. Lots of interesting stuff, particularly a couple of American made US Masters Guitar Works basses. Anybody familiar with these basses? They seem to make a lower end import line as well as US made instruments at very reasonable prices, though I'm not sure what the shop's asking for these used ones.

http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter ... anded.html

Can you let me know about that Bob Glaub? That thing's been there forever. Strange.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:28 pm 

I'm curious about the Glaub as well.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 9:27 pm 

That Glaub was sold a few weeks ago. That is a great store. I have bought a few unique basses there, like a Fodera Monarch, which I sold, and my '82 Jazz. I also bought two StingRays from him. They don't update the Website often; it's really and old fashion store. They also do great setups on the used basses they sell. They are not very flexible on shipping internationally, and last time I bought from them they only accepted cash or cashier's checks. No credit cards. But that might have changed.

Talk to Jay, the owner. He's been nice to me.

Regarding the US Masters basses, they look nice, but I don't like that the upper horns are so short.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 5:19 am 

If you check out the three tone 77 P that is in there - I used to own that - sold it to him at the guitar show 2 or 3 years ago to fund a jazz purchase - he asking more than double what he paid me for it fyi! Jay is a cool dude though - VERY old school....The Glaub was an average bass - I played it a few times....no magic with it IMO.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 5:59 am 

I have done business here more than once ,the owner JAY ,funny guy,personable guy , a bit of an ecentric , knowledgable , decent prices, atleast way better than the rip off cats on west 48 street nyc ,or guitar center robots , , i think he still does free set ups on anything he sells , , , , pipps

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 6:08 am 

That's a lot of comma's, kinda made me think of this:

Took a while before I got the joke, but I laughed my ass off when I did :)

I've had some email contact with Jay in the (recent) past about a Sunset Orange Fender Hot Rodded American P-bass that was in his store for some time. He replied quickly and politely, seemed like a friendly and trustworthy guy.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 7:17 am 

I'll try to pop over there tomorrow. Is that true though that they only take cash and carry? If so, no wonder he's got things sitting around for a while.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 8:08 am 
Site Admin

My past email and phone exchanges with NJG+B was always fine, nice people if a bit inflexible, but a few years back they reduced my girlfriend to tears at Christmas time because she tried to buy me the Glaub bass they had there and after confidently assuring her they'd do everything to insure she got it before Christmas, they then went on a tear of not returning calls/emails and doing many ridiculous things to make the process of purchasing the bass impossible for her in anything close to a timely fashion and impossible before Christmas. Once it was painfully clear to her there was no hope of the bass arriving by Christmas she tearfully revealed her plan to me and after reading over the emails they exchanged with her, which went from confident and assuring to uncooperative in short order I just told her to forget it, it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with them.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 2:14 pm 

andrew wrote:
My past email and phone exchanges with NJG+B was always fine, nice people if a bit inflexible, but a few years back they reduced my girlfriend to tears at Christmas time because she tried to buy me the Glaub bass they had there and after confidently assuring her they'd do everything to insure she got it before Christmas, they then went on a tear of not returning calls/emails and doing many ridiculous things to make the process of purchasing the bass impossible for her in anything close to a timely fashion and impossible before Christmas. Once it was painfully clear to her there was no hope of the bass arriving by Christmas she tearfully revealed her plan to me and after reading over the emails they exchanged with her, which went from confident and assuring to uncooperative in short order I just told her to forget it, it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with them.

Now that's what I call a girlfriend! Reduced to tears because she couldn't buy you a bass you were interested in. She sounds like a keeper allright! You're a lucky man Andrew.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 4:18 pm 

amen to the crying girlfriend!
someone buy her a beer!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

AzWhoFan wrote:
Now that's what I call a girlfriend! Reduced to tears because she couldn't buy you a bass you were interested in. She sounds like a keeper allright! You're a lucky man Andrew.

Believe me, i know I'm a lucky man! :D

PostPosted: October 1st, 2009, 8:48 am 

andrew wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

Believe me, i know I'm a lucky man! :D

You bet you are. I can always justifying buying new gear so long as I promise her some nice sparkly diamonds. She's still waiting for the latest batch :lol: