LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:48 am

Post subject: Warwick 5 string RockBass
PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 12:26 pm 

https://media.sweetwater.com/m/products ... c5bc8275c1
Saw this Warwick RockBass Star Bass 5 string on Sweetwater's scratch and dent sale page. Anyone have an opinion on them.

Thanks, Jim

Post subject: Re: Warwick 5 string RockBass
PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 1:53 pm 

I've worked on a friend's, looked just like that, only he's righty. I thought it sounded great. I personally don't care for Warwick basses, especially the neck construction, but his bass was fine.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 2:42 pm 

Thanks for the input.
I would like to try one before buying.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 6:12 pm 

LHBASSIST wrote:
I personally don't care for Warwick basses, especially the neck construction, but his bass was fine.

That’s interesting. I would love to hear why you don’t care for them, and the construction of the necks.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 8:53 am 

"That’s interesting. I would love to hear why you don’t care for them, and the construction of the necks."

Here's why. I've been repairing, and building on occasion, since 1969. I have worked on so many basses it's impossible to actually know the number. Everything from Kent- Zim-Gar, Hagstroms, Guild, to Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez, Aria, Wal, Alembic, Smiths, Sadowsky, Suhr, G&L, Music Man, Hamers, Fodera, there's very few I haven't worked on.
All of us who play bass understand that every brand of bass has 'characteristics.' Fender basses were known for dead spots in typical areas, like the 13th. fret..'S' curving of the necks, and the good old 'ski-jump' at the end of the fingerboard, which Fender's brilliant engineering department fixed with a three bolt neck that mechanically tilts upward at the ski-jump, making it much worse. From the AMF Harley, AMC Pacer/ Gremlin/ GM coked up designer Disco cars/ Gibson-Norlin era of industrial folly.
Point being, with the Warwick basses I've seen over the last 30 plus years, most of them seem to have similar issues. The necks are seldom straight, they have a bump at the body end, like a bad Fender- and some have 'S' curves, that I could not adjust out. Many have what I call 'asymmetrical relief' where regardless of how I work the truss rod, one side has too much relief, while the other has little or none.. Sometimes it's actually the treble side with too much relief! Then, when acieving a decent level of compromise adjustment- there's still that damn bump at the last few frets!
I just do not care for them. Add the fact that the really expensive active ones have expensive multi-function proprietary pots that are literally unobtainable, as the manufacturer changed the pin design, in one of my client's FNA Jazzman preamp's.. replacement pot. I still have it. It cost like 40 bucks, ten years ago, and fits nothing. It is still hanging in it's display bag over my workbench, to this day. The one major thing? All the high end Warwick basses I've played feel like they weigh more than two 1976 Ash Jazz Basses glued together.
Yes, I understand the lineage with Framus, but they just don't do anything for me. Although, in the right hands, they do sound great.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2023, 3:42 am 

LHBASSIST wrote:
Point being, with the Warwick basses I've seen over the last 30 plus years, most of them seem to have similar issues. The necks are seldom straight, they have a bump at the body end, like a bad Fender- and some have 'S' curves, that I could not adjust out. Many have what I call 'asymmetrical relief' where regardless of how I work the truss rod, one side has too much relief, while the other has little or none.. Sometimes it's actually the treble side with too much relief! Then, when acieving a decent level of compromise adjustment- there's still that damn bump at the last few frets!

Can confirm. I have two Streamer LX's, a 4-string from 2001 and a 5-string from 2003. That period is considered one of their worst, when they had just switched to ovangkol necks instead of wenge (1999 saw the end of the wenge era). Ovangkol wasn't as stable as wenge, so to compensate they made their necks considerably chunkier to add rigidity. My 5-string neck is very thick and the back is almost flat in some areas. It's been my main bass in one of my metal bands for years and other than a slight truss rod tweak with a change of seasons it has always served me well. My 4-string, on the other hand, definitely has the ski jump LHBASSIST describes - except it's at the nut end on mine! From the 2nd fret up, there is a noticable jump which makes it impossible to get the action superlow across the entire fingerboard. It also has the described "asymmetrical relief", the treble side is straighter than the bass side. The way I have it set up it plays fine for me and sounds (and looks!) incredible, but adjusting it was a right pain in the butt despite the ease and huge range of adjustability of all the very well thought out hardware.

I've considered selling them on several occasions, since I don't play them much and Warwick prices have gone up considerably. But so far I couldn't bring myself to do it, I just like them too much and the 5-string has served me well as my main axe at many a memorable gig. The sentimental value has stopped me so far.

Attachment:
Warwicks.jpg
Warwicks.jpg [ 180.93 KiB | Viewed 10679 times ]

PostPosted: December 9th, 2023, 11:59 am 

I appreciate your opinions