LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 4:04 pm

Post subject: 1983 FENDER PRECISION LEFT HANDED LEFTY BASS ON THE BAY
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 11:01 am 

Notice how close the "G" string is the edge. Man, was the quality control really that bad or does the neck need to be loosened and adjusted properly ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-FENDER-PRECISI ... 500wt_1182

Post subject: Re: 1983 FENDER PRECISION LEFT HANDED LEFTY BASS ON THE BAY
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 11:23 am 
Site Admin

That belongs to Frankie Pipps, who has posted here a few times.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 11:54 am 

Yea, I recognized that name from somewhere. Well, maybe has does know what he's talking about if he is on here. :) Good luck with your sale Pipps.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 12:55 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Notice how close the "G" string is the edge. Man, was the quality control really that bad or does the neck need to be loosened and adjusted properly ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-FENDER-PRECISI ... 500wt_1182

Good eyes gravebas.

You may be right about neck adjustment, but it looks to me that the nut was slotted too far over. Also, looks like there is some digital distortion going on that over-accentuates where that string really is. It looks to me like the 2 close up pictures are skewed and warped.
For instance, take a look at how far away the G string appears to be from the left side of the pup cover. To me, it looks to be positioned way too far from the left edge of the cover!

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

Hi Andrew, hi fellow lefties , , , yes this is my bass ,it has served me well for almost 20 years , , i bought two brand new old store unsold stock , back around 198??? this bass kills anything in it's path !! funny thing , i never paid attention to that G string issue !! i play old school "chuck berry" rock and roll , and the E and A string gets more work !! !! !! !! ha !! !! !! the nut is factory stock , never replaced or adjusted , as a matter of fact, i don't think the bass was ever adjusted or anything ? i do see the G string a bit close to the edge of the neck ,but not as bad as the picture depicts it ,for whatever reason, maybe a photo problem ? there are NO issues or absolutely anything under the table or anything with this fine example of a "semi" vintage fender Precision Bass !!! thanks !!!

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 1:25 pm 

I have an '82 Jazz, and it's an amazing instrument. I got a Fender book that explains that many basses in '81-'83 were assembled using old stock parts, because in '83 they changed everything. Mine has '82 pickups and pots, but the neck has a '78 serial number, and it has maple board with binding and dots, not blocks as in the '70s. So it seems the neck was made in '82 but they used a '78 serial number decal.

The neck in your P-Bass is from the new generation, post-'83, because of the truss rod hole location, and the nut width was changed to the wider 1.75", and the tuners are also post'-83. . . The sunburst also looks post-'83, not late-'70s, although the body might have been cut years before. All in all, I would say your bass is a proper '83, and actually rarer than any '70s lefty P.

Beautiful bass.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

gravesbass wrote:
Well, maybe has does know what he's talking about if he is on here. :)

I'm living proof that being here does NOT necessarily mean you know what you're talking about. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 2:23 pm 

Well, yet another reason I reference this board "especially" with older instruments. There are a few good people here that are knowlegible of the older instruments, originality and worth. This is a good thing... Andrew, you built this site.. Thats a BETTER thing. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

gravesbass wrote:
Well, yet another reason I reference this board "especially" with older instruments. There are a few good people here that are knowlegible of the older instruments, originality and worth. This is a good thing... Andrew, you built this site.. Thats a BETTER thing. :mrgreen:

I'm just the instigator. Peter, Rod and Hieg are the brains of the operation. :D