It is currently May 11th, 2024, 3:22 am

Post subject: Sandberg California II TM5 Superlight
PostPosted: August 14th, 2023, 9:43 am 

https://reverb.com/item/70194162-sandbe ... -burst?bk=

What? It's sold? I wonder who could have just ordered it? :D :D

Post subject: Re: Sandberg California II TM5 Superlight
PostPosted: August 14th, 2023, 2:38 pm 

Stingray5 wrote:
https://reverb.com/item/70194162-sandberg-california-ii-tm5-superlight-tobacco-burst?bk=

What? It's sold? I wonder who could have just ordered it? :D :D

You're guess is as good as mine, but if somehow, by some remarkable chance (I have no idea what that would be), you end up knowing how it sounds and plays, do share!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2023, 4:26 am 

Love the look... not sure about the pickups...

PostPosted: August 15th, 2023, 10:06 am 

fivebass52 wrote:

So my understanding is these are the Sandberg 'black label' pickups. I don't know much about them but if they don't sound good it should be easy to try something else. I've been on the lookout for this bass specifically because, due to my advancing age, constant back pain and a packed gig schedule into next year, it was either find a nice light bass that also checked all my other boxes, or step away from playing out. I can't afford to wait to have one built as I hear it can be over a year, so once I saw this I pulled the trigger right away.

Or did you mean the look of the pickups? There certainly are a plethora of pole pieces! Also it'll be new to me to have a bass where the bridge pickup is wider top to bottom than the neck pup, but I suspect that'll be an easy thing to adjust to.

Will definitely post some pics and thoughts once I have it in hand!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2023, 10:13 am 

^^^ you will love this bass. They balance great, the pickups sound really good and the 2 band pre is transparent and clear.
I'm waiting on a pick guard and will be reassembling it. I'll post a pic of mine later.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2023, 5:36 pm 

Good to hear thanks Graves, and look forward to seeing yours!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2023, 3:49 pm 

Stingray5 wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

So my understanding is these are the Sandberg 'black label' pickups. I don't know much about them but if they don't sound good it should be easy to try something else. I've been on the lookout for this bass specifically because, due to my advancing age, constant back pain and a packed gig schedule into next year, it was either find a nice light bass that also checked all my other boxes, or step away from playing out. I can't afford to wait to have one built as I hear it can be over a year, so once I saw this I pulled the trigger right away.

Or did you mean the look of the pickups? There certainly are a plethora of pole pieces! Also it'll be new to me to have a bass where the bridge pickup is wider top to bottom than the neck pup, but I suspect that'll be an easy thing to adjust to.

Will definitely post some pics and thoughts once I have it in hand!

Now I'm not sure why mentioned the pickups... but, with the pre-amp, and a single-pole style in the neck position, and the double-pole in the bridge position, you should get plenty of adjustable tones from it... I hope they work out for you.... Nice Score!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2023, 5:07 pm 

Bass arrived on Friday just in time for 2 gigs this weekend. New set of strings and a truss rod adjustment and it was ready to go.
I gotta say I am completely awestruck by this instrument. It's actually a very warm sounding bass, but still has punch and authority.
I can really dig in and it never gets unwieldy, almost like some kind of natural compression. Impressive sustain as well.

Fit and finish is top notch, but I can tell already this will age naturally.
Between the lack of a poly finish and the softer wood it's already getting some little dents and scratches, but I have no issues with that.

And the weight, oh my goodness. This is a game changer.
After playing it for the weekend I picked up some of my other basses and it was like they were old antiques from the early days or something.
Like going from a heavy old 8x10 fridge to a neo 2x12. I can't see ever being able to go back to a normal weight bass after this.

Attachments:
Sandberg 1.jpg
Sandberg 1.jpg [ 502.8 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]
Sandberg 2.jpg
Sandberg 2.jpg [ 68.65 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]
Sandberg 3.jpg
Sandberg 3.jpg [ 153.99 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]
PostPosted: August 21st, 2023, 2:18 am 

Nice bass! I've owned one of these for a couple of years now. It's an impressive and versatile instrument and has the best fretwork I have ever played, with a low action and completely consistent feel across the whole board.

I can get a range of useful tones simply by adjusting the pickup balance, and switching the humbucker to single coil gives you fairly convincing Jazz Bass sounds. And of course the light weight is incredible, both for gigging and carrying around in the decent supplied gig bag.

That said I have just bought a Stingray 5, which is a fabulous and very different instrument. But at 10.5lbs I'm not sure it will get gigged much.

Attachment:
IMG_0572.jpeg
IMG_0572.jpeg [ 361.7 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]

PostPosted: August 21st, 2023, 10:10 am 

Very cool Pineweasel, love the color.

It looks pristine from your picture, but have you experienced any wear due to the soft wood and the finish? After just a few days I already have a few little dents in the wood so expecting that will continue!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2023, 11:59 am 

Yes, the soft body’s definitely an issue. It’s picked up a few dents since that photo was taken. I don’t worry about it too much though.