LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:51 am

Post subject: Warwick 6 string Streamer LX on the bay, very green!
PostPosted: September 25th, 2009, 3:27 pm 

Check it out guys, not sure I could handle that green for any length of time but it seems like a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 394wt_1142

Post subject: Re: Warwick 6 string Streamer LX on the bay, very green!
PostPosted: September 26th, 2009, 3:28 pm 

I have emailed the seller on numerous occasions as he somehow always manages to get his hands on quality lefty basses and guitars. He is occasionally willing to work outside of eBay. So someone here might be able to save a few $$$$.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2009, 5:34 pm 

A 6 string Warwick BO. If the 4 stringers have baseball bat necks then what must a 6 string have, a 2 x 4'? ;)

PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 7:51 am 

I used to have a Warwick Corvette Proline 6 string fretless that had been custom ordered by somebody in Toronto (they had ordered two!). I bought the bass and it had a solid(!) flame maple body, Bartolini pickups and electronics, and a fairly standard construction in that the neck was made from maple and had an ebony board. I had frets put in it and the luthiers comment was that it was one of the truest necks he'd ever seen. The thing had sustain for days and an incredible sound. I can't remember what the neck was like now as far as "two by four-ish-ness". But it was a heavy beast with that solid maple body. Still not a huge fan of Warwick's body styling either.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 9:31 am 

Guy's name is Chris and he seems to sell mainly high line guitars and basses only. Cool guy and trust worthy. His guitar tech is a lefty bass player and I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the 6 NT thumb 6'r. I had the funds for it 24 hours after it sold. PayPal had my money but wouldn't release it. I spoke with him on the phone about the lugie green LX. The neck looks like it's in good shape and it's all wenge front and back. The body is a mess along with the hardware. I pondered this for a while. Chris still wanted over 1K even off the bay plus shipping. I have 3 Wicks and love them but this bass needs so much work. The body needs stripped and refinished and if it's an alcohol based dye it sinks deep into the wood so you either have to paint it or stain it again green or something that mixes with green. The clear coat has orange peel all over it a real crappy job, makes me think the clear coat was post Wick. My guy here in Pa told me it's worth maybe $600 to $800 since it needs all the work but that's only one opinion. I would love it but to me it isn't worth over 1K. There is MoJo and then there is the dumpster look and signed by Mudvayne oh boy. I think it might weigh in at around 12 lbs.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 9:36 pm 

Not to mention the gold hardware is also faded. A good $600 worth of finish job, some new hardware and time could make this bass nice but thats near 2k.... No thanks. Fixer uppers have been my last 2 basses and only 1 of them was worth the TLC.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 1:33 pm 

Pretty rare bass. I also think the neck must be like a 2 x 4. I used to have a Thumb 5, and the neck was so thick that it was unplayable to me. Loved the sound, though. And the weight on those Warwicks is also unbearable. The Thumb 6 that was just listed was 11+ lbs. No way.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 9:05 pm 

All kinds of basses for all kinds of tastes. I have had my share and also have had opinions change and changed back. Seems the Wicks get the boot for the neck and the weight. I wonder isn't there some older Fenders out there in the 11 to 12 lb. range too?? Not that I would play a Fender but I have heard that. I don't mean to step on toes here but I am 41 and I play out but not as often as I used to but will be again shortly and my mates and I have some 3 hour practices with only 1 or 2 piss breaks and I have never ever thought oh my this 10, 12, 13 lbs. around my neck is sooo bad. My guitarist Jimmy who I could lift in the air with one hand has a Les Paul that's got to be heavier than anything I have ever owned and he never says a word about the weight. Maybe I’m just being a weenie but man 11 or 12 lb. on a strap around you whole body a problem?? I think I find my freaking cable twisting around ten times in one direction because I always turn around to my amp the same way the thing that pisses me off the most. Then I have to twirl around ten times to straighten it out like a ballerina. Maybe that’s the problem you got your dress caught on your bass??? Yeh, I know I’m an a-hole I’m just kidding though. ;)

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 9:42 pm 

I'm a baby when it comes to weight. I won't play a bass that is more than 9 lb. I play between two and four gigs a week, usually two 1-hour sets, and if a bass is too heavy I get a pain in my lower back, and my right arm sometimes gets numb. If I play a neck-heavy bass, I get pain in my shoulder. If the neck is too thick or wide, my hands might hurt at the end of the set.

What a wuss. Lol.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 10:07 pm 

Ergonomics is a good thing. ;)

Weight alone may not be problematic if the bass is ergonomically designed properly, but combine a heavy bass with poor balance or design (i.e. lack of upper horn), and you'll definitely notice. My former '77 Jazz weighed over 11lbs, but with a wide strap you didn't really notice it because Jazz basses, in general, feel and balance very comfortably for me. But an 11lb T-Bird, for example? Forget it.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 11:39 pm 

Yep, if the bass balances body heavy and neck light, then the 11+ lb's aint so bad. I "as noted before" prefer the heavier basses but if the neck is divey, baseball bat... forget it. All my Spectors balance perfectly and as pjmuck mentioned, a wider strap makes a "BIG" difference on comfort for those long sets. Best strap on the market is a MOODY Strap. best leather period and no break in period. I play 100 miles an hour fast fingering in a 1 hour set and that will balance out to any 2-4 hour regular set most of my friends do. My tendonitis is killing me..... :shock: