LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 7:15 am

Post subject: Ibanez ATK300L
PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 11:55 am 

Um, what is the deal here? Where's the headstock logo? Or the pick guard? Did somebody glue some veneer over the headstock to match the body, covering the logo?

https://reverb.com/item/66714019-ibanez ... anded-bass

Post subject: Re: Ibanez ATK300L
PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 1:24 pm 

Looks like someone’s “lost weekend” project… cut the top off the headstock, sand the logo off, stain it to try to match the body color, and while we’re at it- might as well cut the tops off the cloverleaf tuners too. Oh- and fill in the pick guard holes with some stuff… yep, that’s better! :lol:

Last edited by Carmine on March 9th, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 1:38 pm 

Is this kind of art? Perhaps it’s worth a fortune :shock:

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 2:59 pm 

joint compound and plaster of paris are great screw hole fillers. Follow me for more life hacks :lol:

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 4:35 pm 

I will say it and accept the backlash: I like what he did with the tuning keys. That is without seeing it up close, of course. For all I know, he ground them down so sharp that you will slice your fingers open every time you go to tune it. :lol: While that is definitely Metal, and this is indeed a Metal bass, I don’t think I am “that” Metal. Personally, I have never liked the flowery/clover tuning keys. I will definitely not be modifying the keys of my Ricks, though.

As for the headstock, it looks like he did a pretty good job matching the color. Again, it’s hard to get an idea of the quality of work without an up-close inspection.

I am surprised he didn’t do more to match the color of the pickguard screw holes. Honestly, I thought he just left the screws in when I first looked. It wasn’t until I saw Carmine’s comment that I realized he put some sort of filler in it.

All in all, nothing he did would make me think the quality, feel or sound of the instrument has been compromised, so it might be a budget-friendly way to get one of these. If I recall, they weren’t terribly expensive new, but seem to have gone up in value as of late. If Carmine is correct and this is an abandoned project, he might take a pretty good hit to the wallet just to be rid of it. I have definitely been in that position, before.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 6:59 pm 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
If I recall, they weren’t terribly expensive new...

Was my first lefty bass, bought in 1994 or 95, paid $500 new.

Side note: Received great customer service from... Guitar Center. :shock: Specifically, the General Manager of the GC San Bernardino store.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 7:29 pm 

bbl wrote:
Was my first lefty bass, bought in 1994 or 95, paid $500 new.

My first lefty bass too. 1994. I was working at a music store. Used it as I paid it off out of my paycheck. I know folks like ‘em but I couldn’t wait to dump it, which I finally could afford to do in 99 for a 1966/68 P. :-)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2023, 12:47 am 

Except for the missing pick guard, it's an ATK from the nut down... the tuners, being Schallers, aren't stock - I'm looking at my 4-string right now, and there's no name on them at all, which must be stock Ibanez... $400 is a bit of a stretch considering the irreperable alterations... I'd say more like $150-200...