LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 20th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Post subject: 1980 Pre-EB Musicman Stingray
PostPosted: December 13th, 2022, 1:45 pm 

One of these pops up every 10 years or so. Super rare (All Pre-EB lefty 'Rays I've seen can be traced to a single run in Feb./March 1980), but a bit pricey given the refret and non-original parts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285074926427?h ... R5iYttOhYQ

Post subject: Re: 1980 Pre-EB Musicman Stingray
PostPosted: December 13th, 2022, 10:12 pm 

What do the EB experts here think this bass is worth? I'm local, thinking about heading down and making a decent cash offer but I have no idea what the price should be, especially given all the mods.

Edit-

Fwiw this same guy sold an all original 1980 ray for $3k 5 years ago. I know prices have gone up, but 4k does seem very high given this context.

1980 Fender Era LEFTY Music Man Stingray electric bass guitar all original STRING THROUGH BODY + HSC https://reverb.com/item/10710646-1980-f ... t=10710646

PostPosted: December 14th, 2022, 7:55 am 

I could not find this same bass on Craigslist Atlanta (sometimes seller offers on two different platforms).

The seller does have a Make an Offer Option, you could make an offer (say $3500) this time of year some folks are in need of $$ so they may take you up on an offer and Win Win as you save $$ and they get instant sale. I feel the price is slightly high and think 3K to 3.5 is fair as the price in reality will only go up.

In 1979 I purchased my Ric (still have it and love it) but my teacher said I should look at Music Man's as they were going for $350.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2022, 10:11 am 

Be careful with this Bass and Shop!
I know the Irish guy who owned the bass before and unfortunately did not sell it to me, but to Banjowarehouse to the US. I wasn't dealing quick enough.

What Banjo did is, he replaced the electronics. The previous owner told me, they were original when he sold them!
So Banjo changed them and perhaps also other things. I asked Banjo about this but never got a reply.
I guess he was updating a right handed bass and took parts from this lefty, then reassemble it with what he had in stock and now selling it.

I will not tell you here, what was the sales price from the Irish guy 1.5 years ago, but I can tell you, Banjo tries to make a lot of money with this bass.
Changing the electronics (which is a super rare part of the Stingrays, you will never find as a replacement), I would not pay more than 2500-3000 USD max